+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BB&B Pick 'Em Contest

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Re: BB&B Pick 'Em Contest

Question - Just curious about how you award the points for the bonus questions. Since it would be pretty much impossible to hit most of the questions right on the nose, do you award the point to whoever comes closest without going over, or just whoever is the closest, or not at all if no one hits it on the money? And again, thanks for doing this. It adds a lot of fun to football season. I'm sorry I didn't start playing until two years ago.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

It's the Commissioner's choice. With Matt's help, I'm trying to be a little more "selective" in the bonus questions this year. For one thing, the point value has gone down. I'm only giving 1 point per question instead of the 3 from last year - I wanted to make it more about the picks than the bonuses. Although, on any given week I may just change my mind and make one of them worth more.

As far as how I'm selecting the person - I prefer direct hits. During week 1 I didn't give any points on one of them because there wasn't a direct hit. But since then, I've been looking for the closest either above or below. For some, I'll require direct hits, for others, the closest wins. Again, it's the Commish's perogitive. I'm also trying to select questions that won't results in more than 1 or 2 people getting it right. For example - number of first downs is going to have multiple winners where penalty yards or yards rushing won't.

Hope that answers your question.

Chris

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66 View Post
    Question - Just curious about how you award the points for the bonus questions. Since it would be pretty much impossible to hit most of the questions right on the nose, do you award the point to whoever comes closest without going over, or just whoever is the closest, or not at all if no one hits it on the money? And again, thanks for doing this. It adds a lot of fun to football season. I'm sorry I didn't start playing until two years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan View Post
    It's the Commissioner's choice. With Matt's help, I'm trying to be a little more "selective" in the bonus questions this year. For one thing, the point value has gone down. I'm only giving 1 point per question instead of the 3 from last year - I wanted to make it more about the picks than the bonuses. Although, on any given week I may just change my mind and make one of them worth more.

As far as how I'm selecting the person - I prefer direct hits. During week 1 I didn't give any points on one of them because there wasn't a direct hit. But since then, I've been looking for the closest either above or below. For some, I'll require direct hits, for others, the closest wins. Again, it's the Commish's perogitive. I'm also trying to select questions that won't results in more than 1 or 2 people getting it right. For example - number of first downs is going to have multiple winners where penalty yards or yards rushing won't.

Hope that answers your question.

Chris
    The final (secret) factor in the decision making process also involves largest contribution size to the BB&B fund.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Who said anything about the BB&B fund?!? I have my own PERSONAL PayPal account!!!

The week 5 pick sheet is posted. The results from week 4 won't be posted until Friday due to a Thursday game this week.

I'll send out an e-mail reminder later in the week.

For those of you playing NFL Survivor, I'll have the pick sheet and results tomorrow morning.

Chris

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Still just getting week three results - which is ok - week four was a disaster!

I'm an idiot

I sent the e-mail and didn't upload the results!

They are uploading now.

Chris

Week 6 pick sheet and week 5 results are posted.

Somebody asked what the arrows and number in () was on the Season Standings page. The arrow represents whether you moved up or down in the standings and the number is the number of places you moved.

Chris

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

There were an awful lot of fresno st picks last weekend.
    You should all (those that picked fresno) be very ashamed!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Chris, please forgive me because I didn't get much sleep last night, but I got an email reminding me to make my picks for this week. I'm pretty sure I made them already because the bonus questions look familiar. However, isn't there a way for me to check to be sure?

Yes. You turned them in already.

Week 6 results and Week 7 pick sheet is posted.

We missed picking up the Friday game in last week's pick sheet. So we are sure to get all the WAC conference games, this week's deadline has been moved UP to Friday at 7:00 Ruston Time!!! I'll send out a reminder, but wanted to let those of you who wait till the last minute know about the change.

Survivor results and pick sheet will be posted tomorrow morning.

Chris

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I missed last week. Do we drop a week or am I done?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I missed last week. Do we drop a week or am I done?
    This is from the rules on the contest page Johnny.
    Only your top 13 of the 15 weeks will count to the final standings. I will be using a software feature that uses only the top X number of weeks in calculating the season standings. There are 15 weeks in the contest (13 regular season and 2 for the bowls), and we will be using the top 13 weeks to determine the final standings. That lets you miss 2 weeks throughout the season and still be in the running for the total. For those of you who enter every week, think of it as 2 free do-overs. If you had an off week or two, no problem, the score for those weeks won't count.

BTW, it was good finally meeting you the other day. Glad you could come to the game. Maybe next time you should bring some luck with you. :icon_wink:

Matt's right, but remember that the program doesn't take account for that until the end of the season, so you will see that you are behind until the last report package is generated.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread