+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank Bobby Ray Tell

Varsity Bulldog Buck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the ears Buck Magnum's Avatar

Rank Bobby Ray Tell

A buddy and I were discussing Bobby Ray Tell, he was a hoss at Haynesville, but how do you rank his time at Tech. If Tech had a different running back during the Rattay years would have Tech been better?

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Rank Bobby Ray Tell

I think he did good. That was back in the day when we had a hard time getting star high-school running backs. He and John Simon were all we had... we were 2 deep at RB.

He was a scampering back with good enough speed, but not blazing speed. I remeber watching a practice one time and he could not lift his feet over the blocking dummies laying on the ground... he tripped over at least 1 of them every time he tried it.

He was good enough to take pressure off the passing game... the defense had to be aware of him. In Crowton's offense, that was good enough. We didn't need a Ryan Moats in that offense, but he would have added even more pressure to the defenses. Would we have beaten Auburn and A&M with Moats? Probably not. But the Arkansas game that we lost 17-13, Moats probably would have been the difference between a win and a loss.

Varsity Bulldog Buck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the ears Buck Magnum's Avatar

I rememeber at the Nebraska game, he would hit the holes and then it was like he was preparing to absorb the hit. It could have been intimidation, I dunno.

Official Unofficial BB&B Pollster TennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her gameTennesseeDawg is on top of his/her game TennesseeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Magnum View Post
    A buddy and I were discussing Bobby Ray Tell, he was a hoss at Haynesville, but how do you rank his time at Tech. If Tech had a different running back during the Rattay years would have Tech been better?
    Just think how good we would have been had Ryan Moats been the RB during Rattay and Troy Edwards years!!!!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

He rushed for over 2,500 yards and 25 touchdowns in four years. In an offense that was heavily geared for the pass, that's pretty dang good.

you are right, maybe I was just focusing on the Nebraska game.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

10.0 on a richter scale.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I thought BRT was a very good back. If I'm not mistaken, BRT got hurt which took a step off his speed later in his career. However, the first Alabama win, I would say that he was critical in keeping them focused on our run game. He had several good little runs that they didn't expect. It helped that he was only 2 feet tall and they couldn't see where he was going to squirt out of. I really liked BRT and thought he was much better than he was allowed to show in our offense.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Bobby Ray Tell was very good. He came in at a time when we were doing something completely different offensively. We were throwing the ball about 80% of the time....frankly he didn't get a lot of opportunity to rack up rushing yards.

I remember he torched USL that one year in Lafayette. I think Rattay was injured (?)

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I thought BRT was a very good back. If I'm not mistaken, BRT got hurt which took a step off his speed later in his career. However, the first Alabama win, I would say that he was critical in keeping them focused on our run game. He had several good little runs that they didn't expect. It helped that he was only 2 feet tall and they couldn't see where he was going to squirt out of. I really liked BRT and thought he was much better than he was allowed to show in our offense.
    Plus if folks remember -

During the first win we took the ball and ran BRT straight down the field to run out the clock on a good methodical drive -

BRT and Josh Bradley had as much to do with winning that game as Edwards and Rattay did....

BRT is STILL the best highschool player I have ever seen - any class....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I remember BRT for two things: His running in our first victory over Bama and his inability to score the ball from inside the one against A&M.

I am not discounting BRT, he is just someone I forgot about. Sammy Seamster is the best high school running back I have ever seen.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

No knocks on Bobby, but he was not the best we've had. He seems to be about on a par with Boom Boom Berteau, Garlon Powell, Joe Smith, and Cooper. I thought Moats was much better of course. Also, Quick Six, John Henry White, Arry Moody, and Jason Davis had more talent

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i know i couldn't come close to tackling him as a 15-year-old in my very first high school jamboree. he was the quickest thing i saw on a football field in my short playing carreer. at Tech, he was a great pass-blocking back and a great pass-catching running back. he also had two or three monster games where he just went wild running the ball. he did seem a bit intimidated at times, though, and that offense was not built for running the ball.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    ...BRT is STILL the best highschool player I have ever seen - any class.
    Ever see Bobby Strogen from Haughton..."Quick Six" from Springhill...two quick ones that come to my mind.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread