+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technically challenged question

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Technically challenged question

I bought a new camera yesterday (Canon Pro Shot S3 IS). I, also, bought a memory card (Sandisk Pro Duo Extreme III 2 GB). I put the card in the camera and the camera screen reads "Memory Card Locked". I did look up the compatibility and the Sandisk Site says that it is compatible.

I have searched the Internet all night and cannot figure out what to do. I saw where some memory cards have a switch on them to lock/unlock, but I cannot find one on mine. There is, also, an adaptor that came with the memory card, which I have no clue what to do with.

I figure out new software at work all the time, but I have never dealt with memory cards. HELP! I can't use the camera at all. I can get to the menu on the camera, though. I tried to click on "format", thinking that was what I needed. The format option will not highlight for me to click on it, though.

Any of you techie guys or camera guys that can help? My next option is to go back to Circuit City (my salesman seemed like an idiot, though), but I have to wait for them to open today.
    Last edited by champion110; 08-26-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Re: Technically challenged question

I thought my Ipod was broken until I realized it was just "locked". There's a switch that I later found. I'd keep looking for something that slides to the right/left.

Varsity Bulldog digidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the ears digidawg87's Avatar

On a Mac use the Apple/Command and the I at the same time. A box will appear with a little box labeled lock. Uncheck it. On a PC try right clicking and check the properities.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    I thought my Ipod was broken until I realized it was just "locked". There's a switch that I later found. I'd keep looking for something that slides to the right/left.
    I have searched and searched and can't find anything that slides. Here is a picture of the card that I have (although mine is a 2GB)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by digidawg87 View Post
    On a Mac use the Apple/Command and the I at the same time. A box will appear with a little box labeled lock. Uncheck it. On a PC try right clicking and check the properities.
    I have a laptop PC, but have not even TRIED to figure out where to put the card in it yet. That is a whole new issue.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1000. I do not see any place to insert a memory card. I am screwed, aren't I....

I am now thinking that this card is not compatible with this camera. I will go back to Circuit City today. It would not surprise me one bit if they sold me one that doesn't work with the camera, even though it is the one that THEY recommended.

In the meantime, I tried my phone memory card in the camera. Fits like a glove, but I get the same message.
    Last edited by champion110; 08-26-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

I think your card is incompatible. You probably need an SD type memory and what you have shown is a memory stick. I think your salesman was confused.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1000. I do not see any place to insert a memory card. I am screwed, aren't I....
    Not exactly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&name=External

Use one of these external components that is compatible with your memory card. Plug the USB cable into your laptop. Insert the memory card into the reader, then download your pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I think your card is incompatible. You probably need an SD type memory and what you have shown is a memory stick. I think your salesman was confused.
    Memory Type
    Multimedia Card • SD Card

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Your camera uses an SD type memory card . i found this on the net "take out the memory card look on the left hand side of it and it might say in little letters lock and theres a little thing that moves up and down and then move it up."

I hope this helps you.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Champ, what's this?? (the arrow)
    Last edited by DocMarvin362; 09-07-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks everyone for you help. I was feeling VERY ignorant with this, but just got back from Circuit City and found out that the CAMERA was defective ON TOP of having the wrong memory card. They were going to trade the camera in for another just like it, but I decided to go with the Fuji, instead. I am already breezing through how to use this one.

I, also, got a memory card reader for my laptop. YEAH!

Thanks everyone for trying to help. We could have been discussing this for a week, since the camera would never have worked.

+ Reply to Thread