+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: La Tech's Top 10 Athletes

Bulldog RockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around hereRockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around hereRockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around here RockNRoll Warrior's Avatar

Re: La Tech's Top 10 Athletes

Mark Grimes. He was the QB for our intermural flag football team.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Debbie Nichols. This one is for my wife.

Puppy bbbdawg is an unknown

don't forget about those lonely kickers

Chris Boniol
    Matt Stover
    Josh Scobee
    ________
    vaporizer review
    Last edited by bbbdawg; 01-19-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

My first thought is that out of all of those big names that are on these lists... How many of them give back to Tech as they could? Obviously some of them give much more than others.

Varsity Bulldog farright3030 has turned a few heads around herefarright3030 has turned a few heads around here farright3030's Avatar

Daivid Segui, Whitey Richardson, Brian Myrow

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I haven't seen Pat Tilley or Matt Dunigan on this list anywhere. Both had good college and pro careers.

MBB - Paul doesn't get mentioned because he is so young, but he should be considered, and Mike Green should be ranked ahead of McConathy, with all due respect to MM.

WBB - Maybe Venus Lacy

Baseball - Not sure if he ever did anything beyond college, but I remember Charlie Montoya for his performance in the win over LSU in '87. He and Joey Belle (now Albert Belle) had a home run derby with Belle hitting three and Montoya hitting four. His fourth was the game winner. Not sure if that is worth a mention in SI, but as a Tech fan, I will never forget it.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Glennell Sanders was a 3-time All-American LB and is Tech's career tackling leader with 548 career tackles! Sanders holds Tech's two best tackling seasons in school history at 183 tackles in 1987 and 183 tackles in 1988.

Sanders top game performances were:
    20 tackles vs TX A&M in 1987
    24 tackles vs Ark St in 1987
    20 tackles vs Florida St in 1988
    22 tackles vs Ark St in 1988

Varsity Bulldog farright3030 has turned a few heads around herefarright3030 has turned a few heads around here farright3030's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Glennell Sanders was a 3-time All-American LB and is Tech's career tackling leader with 548 career tackles! Sanders holds Tech's two best tackling seasons in school history at 183 tackles in 1987 and 183 tackles in 1988.

Should we consider D2 All-Americans? If I remember correctly, if someone mentions D1-AA football and why Tech should be in that Division, people get snippy and say it is a worthless league.

Bulldog RockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around hereRockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around hereRockNRoll Warrior has turned a few heads around here RockNRoll Warrior's Avatar

What about Tank Landry? And, who was the stud LB that went to play for the Oilers. The thing I remember most about him was that Glanville had him take out Morten Anderson on a kickoff once.

And, what about Randy White? I remember playing pick up basketball in the gym one day, and Randy was on my team. He kept trying these Dr. J moves and kept missing. Our team lost the game. I mean, how do you have Randy White on your pick up team, and then lose? Should this be another thread? The "Playing pick up games with future NBA players and lose" thread?

What about Bryan Beck? Has this guy been mentioned? It seems as if he is rumored for a new coaching job here all the time.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

This is one of the most subjective lists that you could make, but I would like to give it a shot. I see a great "athlete" as one that has superior individual physical skills that are effectively used most often in the context of a team. I know that there is no right or wrong list, but the following 10 would make ANY university proud. As a matter of fact, I think there are very few schools, of any size or reknown, that could match this list.

1. TERRY BRADSHAW (Football) - at most schools this wouldn't even be subject to debate. NFL No. 1 draft choice. 4 Time super bowl champion. 2 time Super Bowl MVP. Sports Illustrated Man of the Year. First Ballot NFL Hall of Famer. Strongest arm in the NFL. Extremely mobile with the ability to run over or around defenders. Held the national high school javelin record for almost twenty years. His size, speed and strength revolutionized the most important position in professional football.

2. KARL MALONE (Basketball) - the reason that there is a debate over No. 1. Two time NBA MVP. Second leading scorer in NBA history. Voted one of the fifty greatest players of all time. Slam's No. 13 player of all time. 14 time All-Star. Will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. His size, speed and strength revolutionized his position in professional basketball.

3. WILLIE ROAF (Football) - First round draft choice of Saints in 93. 11 time pro-bowler. 7 time All-Pro. Selected to all decade team for the 90's. Generally considered the best offensive lineman in the league for most of his career. Expected to be first ballot Hall of Famer.

4. MIKE GREEN (Basketball) - The most dominant basketball player, in college, to ever play at TECH. Career leader in points (2,340) and rebounds (1,575). His junior team was ranked No. 1 in the country in the small college division and just obliterated the opposition (margins of victory of 57, 41 over Southern Miss, 40, 24, 29, 20, 44, 26,25,26,32,35,30, 22) causing him to sit down the last few minutes of several games. Average 30.9 PPG as a Senior. 8 year professional career shortened by injury. ABA All-Star in 1975.

5. JACKIE MORELAND (Basketball) - This one is before my time, but I have heard old timers talk about him all of my life. After reading about him, I see why. I haved moved him up my initial list. Came to TECH as a two time High School All-American with a 4.0 GPA and the record as the most prolific scorer in the history of Louisiana. Was a three time All-American at TECH (freshmen were not allowed to play). Left TECH as the career leader in points and rebounds (stil No. 3 on rebound list). No. 4 pick in the NBA draft by the Pistons. Played professionally for 8 years. Tragically, died of cancer at the age of 33.

6. FRED DEAN (Football) - Dominant defensive player on TECH's two national championship teams. Three time All-American at TECH. Freak athlete. Played on two Super Bowl Champion teams. NFC defensive player of the year. Revolutionized his position in the NFL. The first great speed rusher at Defensive End in the NFL.

7. ATLEY DONALD (Baseball) - A really old timer, but he might have rated even higher on the list if I knew more about his TECH career. Another one, I have heard mentioned my entire life. Pitched for the Yankees for 8 years with a life-time winning percentage of .663. Set the American League record for wins by a rookie in 1939, a season in which he had a twelve game winning streak. His fastball was clocked at 94.7 miles per hour in 1939, the fastest ever recorded up until that time. Career shortened due to injury.

8. MIKE BARBER (Football) - Two time First Team All-American at TECH. Played on two National Championship teams. Freak Athlete (See Coach Mick's post) Had 10 year professional career. Held the single season record for the Rams and Oilers for receptions by a tight end.

9. PAUL MILLSAP (Basketball) - Its early but I think he gets in on his career at TECH alone. After a 3 year career, he finished as the No. 7 scorer and No. 2 rebounder of all time.
    Only player to ever lead the NCAA in rebounding for three straight years. NBA all-rookie team. His stats per minute in rebounding and points are among the league leaders. He may move up this list with a long professional career.

10. PAM KELLY (Women's Basketball) - I will acknowledge my weakness in evaluating the female athletes but I did see Pam play. She was ahead of her time in her physical ability. 3 time All-American. National Most Outstanding Player. Given TECH"S history, a women's basketball player should make the list and I think she is the one.

I know that there are a lot of great ones left off. Any glaring omissions?
    Last edited by skilldawg; 09-05-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

Wow, talking about Mike Green brings back memories of his Junior year when USL and Bo Lamar came to town. Even though USL won, that is still one of the greatest basketball games I have ever seen. Memorial gym was full and rockin'. At times I thought either my eardrums or the windows were gonna burst.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

And I was right there with you dude. Just a couple of snot nosed kids climbing into the ceiling taking our lives into our hands.

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

Ah, the memories. All good except for the time I fell on the metal edge of the stairs on my knee!

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post

Glennell Sanders is a good call. His partner at LB was Eldonta Osborne who wasn't too shabby either.

+ Reply to Thread