+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hawaii Pub

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Hawaii Pub

Got my Aug 27, 2007 issue of "Sproting News." There is a nice six page spread on Hawaii. It is primarily about Heisman Trophy candidate Colt Brennan and June Jones. A couple of quotes from the article: "These days, Jones has an ultratalented team that is primed for an unbeaten season and a run at a BCS bowl game." And, "He (Brennan) has set 20 NCAA records in his two seasons at the school and has lifted the program from one with a perceived gimmick offense in a weak conference to unthinkable legitimacy.

Hawaii's NCAA rank in passing offense during June Jones' 8 seasons:

1999 3rd
    2000 4th
    2001 2nd
    2002 2nd
    2003 2nd
    2004 2nd
    2005 2nd
    2006 1st

The article also gives a little blurb about each of the teams listed as:
    "Little guys with a big opportunity":

Boise State
    TCU
    Southern Miss
    BYU
    Utah

Then, I get today's USA Today and they have a full page devoted to Brennan and Hawaii. Their biggest challenges this year? "Nevada, Boise, and Washington."

Good exposure for the WAC I guess, and maybe a little bulletin board material for the DAWGS!

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Hawaii Pub

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66 View Post
    Got my Aug 27, 2007 issue of "Sproting News." There is a nice six page spread on Hawaii. It is primarily about Heisman Trophy candidate Colt Brennan and June Jones. A couple of quotes from the article: "These days, Jones has an ultratalented team that is primed for an unbeaten season and a run at a BCS bowl game." And, "He (Brennan) has set 20 NCAA records in his two seasons at the school and has lifted the program from one with a perceived gimmick offense in a weak conference to unthinkable legitimacy.

Hawaii's NCAA rank in passing offense during June Jones' 8 seasons:

1999 3rd
    2000 4th
    2001 2nd
    2002 2nd
    2003 2nd
    2004 2nd
    2005 2nd
    2006 1st

The article also gives a little blurb about each of the teams listed as:
    "Little guys with a big opportunity":

Boise State
    TCU
    Southern Miss
    BYU
    Utah

Then, I get today's USA Today and they have a full page devoted to Brennan and Hawaii. Their biggest challenges this year? "Nevada, Boise, and Washington."

Good exposure for the WAC I guess, and maybe a little bulletin board material for the DAWGS!
    We gotta remember we won 3 games last year. One of them was against a 1-AA team and another was against a Sunbelt team. We don't have much respect right now. Have to earn it.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    We gotta remember we won 3 games last year. One of them was against a 1-AA team and another was against a Sunbelt team. We don't have much respect right now. Have to earn it.
    Yeah, and they weren't impressive wins, either.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Is this Brennan guy that legit or is this just Hawaii's promotion machine. I mean, Timmy Chang set records but never sniffed the Downtown Athletic Club. I am not inclined to believe he really has a shot.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Is this Brennan guy that legit or is this just Hawaii's promotion machine. I mean, Timmy Chang set records but never sniffed the Downtown Athletic Club. I am not inclined to believe he really has a shot.
    Turn your cell phone on, homey.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

He was projected as a second round draft pick last year. This year he is being projected as a first round pick.

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

All Hawaiian QB's have been good under Jones. Chang had problems with mobility, and he was pulled from a few games for lack of performance.

Brennan beat out Troy Smith as the 'best QB' awarded by his own home state last year. The Heisman is trickier, because it's political. I think McFadden will win it this year.

Thanks for the props, Oledawg66.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

The key to June's offense is to have the WRs and the QB on the same page. When it works as well as it can, the QB sees where a WR will be open and throws the ball there long before the break. The WR reads the D and runs to the open spot, one of about four options he has for every route. When he turns around, the ball is there. It can look like every pass is thrown into coverage, but really none are. It is a lot like the pass 'losi caught to be Bama. That ball was thrown to right spot long before 'losi reached it. There have not been many times when the WRs and QB are all there, but when they are, wow.

Bulldog AreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by TechDAG View Post
    The key to June's offense is to have the WRs and the QB on the same page. When it works as well as it can, the QB sees where a WR will be open and throws the ball there long before the break. The WR reads the D and runs to the open spot, one of about four options he has for every route. When he turns around, the ball is there. It can look like every pass is thrown into coverage, but really none are. It is a lot like the pass 'losi caught to be Bama. That ball was thrown to right spot long before 'losi reached it. There have not been many times when the WRs and QB are all there, but when they are, wow.
    good post!

i think since '05, Hawaii has had little bit of an upgrade in the WR & RB department in terms of athleticism being better than the years before.

'06 the offense was able to pull things together in a way that was not seen as much during the Timmy Chang years. not nearly as much "3 & outs".

with Colt Brennan & the WRs we have, the offense is the best that its been and probably running with the perfect athletes for the "system"....JMO

damn i can't wait for Sept. 1st & i know you guys can't either. its been a really long off-season

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Timmy Chang had a boyfriend when he first got into the league. lol

Bulldog AreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really niceAreaCode808 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG DUDE View Post
    Timmy Chang had a boyfriend when he first got into the league. lol
    i wonder if Chang's wife & kid know about that?

+ Reply to Thread