+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never forget....it's ALL about the QB

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Never forget....it's ALL about the QB

Fact is, with very few exceptions, good football teams MUST be built around great QB's. It's far and away the most important position on the field. History tells us that if your QB sucks, it's highly likely that your team will suck too.

Think about it. In the college ranks, Texas won the 2005 national title with Vince Young, USC had Carson Palmer and Matt Lineart, and we once had Tim Rattay and Luke McCown. In the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys won 5 Super bowls with Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, the Denver Broncos won two with John Elway, the 49er's won 4 with Joe Montana, and the Pittsburgh Steelers won 4 with our very own Terry Bradshaw. The list goes on and on...but I think you get the picture.

Just remember, in the entire history of college football, only a couple of great teams were built around average QB's. The 1980 national champion Georgia Bulldogs with Buck Belue and the 1992 Alabama Crimson Tide, with Jay Barker, are a couple of exceptions that come to mind. However, remember that Belue had All-World RB Hershal Walker in his backfield, and Barker had David Palmer. Barker was also supported by one of the best defense's of all time.

The point is, we can put the best 21 players in the WORLD on the field, but if our QB is bad, it is very likely the team will be very bad too.

Derek Dooley should spend this entire week scanning his depth chart looking for a better QB, or for a way to make Champion better. Otherwise, we may be in for a very long, very embarrassing season.

HD

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Re: Never forget....it's ALL about the QB

Hopefully this is not a suprise to Coach Dooley. Oklahoma did pretty good w/ a quarterback that did well and is probably earning a living with a regular job these days. As Coach Dooley said last night, at least he didn't hurt us - it could've been ugly if those ugly ones were picked off!

I'm encouraged that we are already improved as a team, but I think we all know we HAVE to do better than what we saw last night at the quarterback spot if we are to attain the kind of success that we want. Hopefully we won't have to wait until next year to see success at the quarterback position. I'd love for Champion to decide to dig deep and find something there. Who could pick a better QB name? It'd be great to see him live up to it on Saturday nights!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    Hopefully this is not a suprise to Coach Dooley. Oklahoma did pretty good w/ a quarterback that did well and is probably earning a living with a regular job these days. As Coach Dooley said last night, at least he didn't hurt us - it could've been ugly if those ugly ones were picked off!

I'm encouraged that we are already improved as a team, but I think we all know we HAVE to do better than what we saw last night at the quarterback spot if we are to attain the kind of success that we want. Hopefully we won't have to wait until next year to see success at the quarterback position. I'd love for Champion to decide to dig deep and find something there. Who could pick a better QB name? It'd be great to see him live up to it on Saturday nights!
    Remember, the Oklahoma QB you are referring to also won the Heisman Trophy.

Yes, there is something to be said for having a conservative, "serviceable" QB that doesn't make mistakes and lose games for you. But as far as I can tell from last night's stats, I'm not sure Champion is even at that level. 70 yds of passing just won't cut it in the WAC. Period. Remember, for all intents and purposes, we were playing a Div II school last night.

HD

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Our quarterback play is terrible. How does a FIFTH YEAR SENIOR at a D1-A school overthrow so many passes? That's not even plausible. At least Mike would give us a different element.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Frown Re: Never forget....it's ALL about the QB

We can moan all we want about not having a QB of the caliber of those mentioned. Fact is, Champion is what we have, and we need to make this year as bearable as possible. Can you imagine what Sat nite would have looked like if we had a Matt Dunnigan inserted into the line up as a sub?

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Remember, the Oklahoma QB you are referring to also won the Heisman Trophy.

Yes, there is something to be said for having a conservative, "serviceable" QB that doesn't make mistakes and lose games for you. But as far as I can tell from last night's stats, I'm not sure Champion is even at that level. 70 yds of passing just won't cut it in the WAC. Period. Remember, for all intents and purposes, we were playing a Div II school last night.

HD
    I know. Danny Weurful looked like a world beater w/ Florida until he started trying to collect a check on Sundays. Guess I'm saying there is such a thing as a system quarterback that can serve the team purposes and not possess skills that are tremendously great.

I'm hoping that having a teacher/motivator in there as coach can keep us from having a horrible year waiting for Dooley to bring in his talent. I truly think Luke got worse every year and I strictly blamed that on JBIII. Good coaching seems to have turned it around for him in the pros!

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    Our quarterback play is terrible. How does a FIFTH YEAR SENIOR at a D1-A school overthrow so many passes? That's not even plausible. At least Mike would give us a different element.
    EXACTLY. He has had more than enough time to improve. Looks the same now as he always has, and as HogDawg points out, against a Div II team. Use the rest of the season to train the next quarterback/s. If we leave Champion in we are wasting our time.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    EXACTLY. He has had more than enough time to improve. Looks the same now as he always has, and as HogDawg points out, against a Div II team. Use the rest of the season to train the next quarterback/s. If we leave Champion in we are wasting our time.
    I'm still scratching my head as to why we didn't see a change in the last two series. Had Champion just been handing the ball off, I could understand, but he was still flinging it to "parts unknown" until the very end.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

He needs to put more air underneath his fades when we are close to the endzone. Let Wheeler go up and get it. On the deep ball he never seems to release the ball at the right time and he under throws the wide out too much. Hopefully he will rebound and play well next week.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    He needs to put more air underneath his fades when we are close to the endzone. Let Wheeler go up and get it. On the deep ball he never seems to release the ball at the right time and he under throws the wide out too much. Hopefully he will rebound and play well next week.
    You just reminded me...he had what looked like a corner fade route open and threw it to the defender in the south end zone. Good thing we had a good receiver who broke up the pass. Actually I think we had two "receiver playing defender" plays last night.

Big Dog BOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the rough

My .02's .......we have season tickets...so my family and I attended the game last night and will attend the remainder of the year....and I must say in agreement after what we saw in game 1.... that we do have serious issues on offense.......maybe we have potential...but until we get someone that can chuck the pigskin around and someone to catch it....it's going to be tough to win many more games....the Hawaii game will be a prelude of the rest of the season IMO....

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

The good news is, the plays were called correctly and the WRs got good separation. Had Champ hit those boys, it would've been 49-7. The bad news is, that doesn't matter one bit if the QB can't get the guys the ball.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Last year this boy was 3rd in the WAC in passing yardage. He performed admirably against Nebraska. That being said, he made way too many mistakes and threw an ungodly number of interceptions. I blame his coaches for that. He should have been given a time out. What I saw last night was reticence and...well bless his heart he just didn't throw well. But I think he CAN throw the ball. We've just gone from one extreme to the other right now, and if Zac can find a comfortable middle ground somewhere between forcing things that aren't there, and reticence, I think he will be ok. Not great, but ok. I know he can throw the ball to Josh Wheeler. I saw him do it many time last year and it was a beautiful thing.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I'm still reserving my judgement of Champion, and the team in general, until after this next game. Dooley willhave to let it all hang out this Saturday.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Varsity Bulldog bigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the roughbigdawg18 is a jewel in the rough

I agree with some of what yall are saying. First he only had 23 passes thrown the whole game and completed 12 of them. Which is not bad and he should have been 15 for 23. But we dont have any other qb's right now. Mosely is our next hope and i heard hes not a leader and i think dooley should leave him at WR. He made a nice play

+ Reply to Thread