+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tech Golf Opens Fall Season at Scenic City Invitational - latechsports.com

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Tech Golf Opens Fall Season at Scenic City Invitational - latechsports.com

The Tech golf program hosts their very productive College-Am in the fall . . . this year on Oct. 14 at the coveted Squire Creek.
    Entry fee is $200 a head. 4-man Captain's Choice event with a college player or two on each team. The event is held on the Sunday before the first round of the Louisiana Tech Squire Creek Invitational tournament.
    The round of golf is followed by a plated dinner in the SQ dining room . . (prime rib last year) for all players. The college players who sat at our table it was the most classy event they have been to.
    It is one of the classiest golfing events I've ever been to and as far as I know provided free of charge by the Davison family. The Davisons take much pride in this event and as a result the competition is top notch and the attendees are top drawer . . . even ElEssEwe plans to attend this year for the first time.
    The Bird-E-Dogs thought they had a golfer from Nebraska lined up last year for their foursome, but we ended up with two NLULM players.
    Maybe Ed can do better this year.
    Anyways, we DO have a very nice fund-raiser for the golf team.
    Why don't ya'll join us Oct. 14?

tm
    Last edited by Dawgpix; 09-16-2007 at 05:51 PM.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Cause they don't want none of us!! :icon_wink:

Bird-e-dawgs will fly high this year. Fairways and Greens.

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by 1L_dawg View Post
    Fair enough...though your "H20" reference went over my head. I will say that while the competition may be tougher today, we had absolutely zero resources as compared to the present team. Practicing two days a week at Ruston Country Club??? give me a break. The fact that Tech could get anybody to play golf for them (much less win tournaments) is pretty impressive.

You may be Harvey's dad for all i know, and it doesn't really matter to me. I still think the golf program is underperforming.

Regarding the Eagle Scout club, send me some information. I have not been contacted about donating and did not even know it existed...which leads me to another point....

one of my best friends played golf for ULM. he is friends with ULM's current coach, Chris Wilson. Chris puts on a huge fundraiser tournament (they did auction off lsu tickets this year though, OUCH!) every year in Monroe for all former ULM golfers. It is a tremendous success for their golf program and a great time for the former players. We need to do something like this. I don't know your affiliation with Tech's golf program, if any, but if you have some connections, mention this to someone. It is a great idea.
    The Tech golf team already has a tournament similar to the one you are talking about. They have a "college am" the day before the La Tech/Squire Creek Invitational. I am pretty sure its held sometime in October. You should come up and play this year 1L. The tournament that the golf team and the staff at Squire Creek put on is top shelf. Its one of the main reasons Tech has gotten into some of the tournaments they are playing in now. Like checkerboard said gone are the days of jackson st. and the gents....we are now competing agains ole miss, smu, lamar, nebraska, etc.

I know that you want the golf team to be in the top 25, but "rome wasn't built in a day" and its going to take some time. As our major sports start to WIN, you will see more season ticket holders, more CHAMPS members, bowl $$, Basketball Tournament $$$, and then Tech can FULLY support smaller programs like golf. thats my two cents.

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by bdub View Post
    The Tech golf team already has a tournament similar to the one you are talking about. They have a "college am" the day before the La Tech/Squire Creek Invitational. I am pretty sure its held sometime in October. You should come up and play this year 1L. The tournament that the golf team and the staff at Squire Creek put on is top shelf. Its one of the main reasons Tech has gotten into some of the tournaments they are playing in now. Like checkerboard said gone are the days of jackson st. and the gents....we are now competing agains ole miss, smu, lamar, nebraska, etc.

I know that you want the golf team to be in the top 25, but "rome wasn't built in a day" and its going to take some time. As our major sports start to WIN, you will see more season ticket holders, more CHAMPS members, bowl $$, Basketball Tournament $$$, and then Tech can FULLY support smaller programs like golf. thats my two cents.
    it sounds like a very, very nice event. I think it would also be nice to have another tournament/function (maybe during the early summer) over a weekend that is exclusively for the former players.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1L_dawg View Post
    it sounds like a very, very nice event. I think it would also be nice to have another tournament/function (maybe during the early summer) over a weekend that is exclusively for the former players.
    You are hereby appointed. Being a former member of the team I'm sure the golf team would like your help.
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I asked Coach Hall for a little info to be posted on the board. Here's his reply:
    Hello Matt:

Thank you for your email and for your interest in the golf program at Louisiana Tech. As you are probably aware, our golf program hosts an annual college tournament. This tournament, not only brings some great college teams into our area, but also is used as a fund raiser for the golf program. This year's tournament will be held on October 15-16, and will feature 18 colleges teams. Some of the teams are LSU, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Nevada, Rice, Texas Arlington, College of Charleston, Southern Mississippi, etc.

As part of the tournament, we hold a College AM event on Sunday, October 14 at 1:30 pm. This event consists of four amateur players who put up $200 each to play with two college players. The amateurs play a scramble and can use the college players drives and/or scores if needed. It is a great event and is followed by a nice steak supper. This event usually involves over a hundred amateur golfers and over ninety college golfers. It has been a huge success and has raised significant monies for the golf program. If you or your friends would like to participate in the tournament, please let me know and I will be happy to include you in the event.

The other fund raiser that we have for the Tech golf program is our Eagle Club. This is a group of Tech supporters who contribute money to the golf program and receive special recognition at Squire Creek. Both of these fundraising programs have raised over fifty thousand dollars a year for the Tech golf program. This money goes into improved recruiting, scheduling, and travel for the Tech golf team. Last year's team was ranked 96 by Golfstat, the highest ranking of a Tech golf team, and had a scoring average of 295 which was the best in Tech's history. Also, Matthew Harvey was chosen as the state's outstanding freshman golfer for Louisiana.

If additional information is needed, please feel free to contact me. Also, I hope you and your friends will join us at our College AM on October 14.

Go dawgs,

Jean Hall
    Head Golf Coach

Hope that answers people's questions. The Bird-e-Dawgs will be flyin high, so if any of you hacks want to run for second place, you're more than welcome to do so. :icon_wink:

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    I asked Coach Hall for a little info to be posted on the board. Here's his reply:
    Hello Matt:
    Thank you for your email and for your interest in the golf program at Louisiana Tech. As you are probably aware, our golf program hosts an annual college tournament. This tournament, not only brings some great college teams into our area, but also is used as a fund raiser for the golf program. This year's tournament will be held on October 15-16, and will feature 18 colleges teams. Some of the teams are LSU, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Nevada, Rice, Texas Arlington, College of Charleston, Southern Mississippi, etc.
    As part of the tournament, we hold a College AM event on Sunday, October 14 at 1:30 pm. This event consists of four amateur players who put up $200 each to play with two college players. The amateurs play a scramble and can use the college players drives and/or scores if needed. It is a great event and is followed by a nice steak supper. This event usually involves over a hundred amateur golfers and over ninety college golfers. It has been a huge success and has raised significant monies for the golf program. If you or your friends would like to participate in the tournament, please let me know and I will be happy to include you in the event.
    The other fund raiser that we have for the Tech golf program is our Eagle Club. This is a group of Tech supporters who contribute money to the golf program and receive special recognition at Squire Creek. Both of these fundraising programs have raised over fifty thousand dollars a year for the Tech golf program. This money goes into improved recruiting, scheduling, and travel for the Tech golf team. Last year's team was ranked 96 by Golfstat, the highest ranking of a Tech golf team, and had a scoring average of 295 which was the best in Tech's history. Also, Matthew Harvey was chosen as the state's outstanding freshman golfer for Louisiana.
    If additional information is needed, please feel free to contact me. Also, I hope you and your friends will join us at our College AM on October 14.
    Go dawgs,
    Jean Hall
    Head Golf Coach
    Hope that answers people's questions. The Bird-e-Dawgs will be flyin high, so if any of you hacks want to run for second place, you're more than welcome to do so. :icon_wink:
    Thanks for the info.

Puppy tech-sports is an unknown

Thumbs Up Re: Tech Golf Opens Fall Season at Scenic City Invitational - latechsports.com

1L_dawg.. When did you play at tech ? what tournaments did you'll win ? All you seem to do is criticize this upcoming program. They have broken all the records set by you guys. I agree they have better facilities but they started using squire creek only 5 years ago. Look at how much they have improved in 5 years, things dont happen over night buddy... Oklahoma State didnt become a power house over 5 years !!!

Tech are playing against top 15 schools in the country week in and week out, hence why they can't win everyweek. As checkerboard mentioned, if they were playing centenary and jackson state, they would win not 3 but many more events. They beat centenary by 61 shots at centenary home tournament last year and jackson state by 66 shots...

Give them a break man, they have improved a lot and are getting better each year. You seem to go on about Lamar and Southeastern, Lamar's golf program has a lot of money. A lot more than TECH !!!! You know how much easier it is to get good top juniors when you have big budgets ? Tech is getting there !

Anything else........
    Last edited by tech-sports; 09-16-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tech-sports View Post
    1L_dawg.. When did you play at tech ? what tournaments did you'll win ? All you seem to do is criticize this upcoming program. They have broken all the records set by you guys. I agree they have better facilities but they started using squire creek only 5 years ago. Look at how much they have improved in 5 years, things dont happen over night buddy... Oklahoma State didnt become a power house over 5 years !!!

Tech are playing against top 15 schools in the country week in and week out, hence why they can't win everyweek. As checkerboard mentioned, if they were playing centenary and jackson state, they would win not 3 but many more events. They beat centenary by 61 shots at centenary home tournament last year and jackson state by 66 shots...

Give them a break man, they have improved a lot and are getting better each year. You seem to go on about Lamar and Southeastern, Lamar's golf program has a lot of money. A lot more than TECH !!!! You know how much easier it is to get good top juniors when you have big budgets ? Tech is getting there !

Anything else........
    I am glad you recognize and agree with me that Squire Creek is nicer than Ruston CC. That is quite a concession. During my time, we played against UALR, Nebraska, Southeastern LA, Lamar, etc...not too shabby. Regardless, the success of the current program should not be based upon its performance in comparison to other Tech golf teams.

Listen: I am not going to go around in circles and repeat everything i said in my discussion with checkerboard. My opinion is that the Tech program should start making some noise in the very, very near future. Our golf program is the ONLY athletic program in which the facilities are absolutely second to none. I have high expectations, and, frankly, so should you.

Puppy dawgwood is an unknown

What 1-L is trying to says is that our program has a recruiting tool that no ther school in our wheelhouse can compete against, the top course in LA and the best/most advanced practice facility within 200 miles at the golf team's full disposal. At a Tech happening event in Monroe 3 years ago, one of the biggest parts of the program was the golf team and how exciting it would be to have Squire Creek and have a nationally recognized program. That was 3 years ago, and yes we have done pretty good, but we should be a top 25 program by now. Its not that I'm not pulling like hell for the team to do well, it's just that we could have 5 guys of Matthew Harvey's caliber if we can get one. Our LA State Amatur Champion of last year and runner up this year is from Shreveport and is a golfer at UNO, that just shouldn't happen. If we have the expectations we do for Football, we can really make a difference in changing them for golf.

+ Reply to Thread