+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Home

So I'm talking to realtors and stuff. What questions should I ask that I haven't thought about? Any advice?
    Last edited by Abominable Gorilla; 09-15-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Home

The most important thing is to find a GREAT inspector to make sure you're not buying something that will kill your bank account right off the bat. Ask around...this is VITAL.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Varsity Bulldog Vettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the roughVettewrecker is a jewel in the rough Vettewrecker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    So I'm talking to realitors and stuff. What questions should I ask that I haven't thought about? Any advice?
    First ask them how to spell "realitors"

And whatever you do, stick with one realtor. We get pissed when we drive to show you homes and then you end up buying with another.

The one thing you want to make sure of, is that your realtor is looking out for you. Make sure they are looking for what you want and can afford instead of trying to sell you the most expensive house that you qualify for. Also, make sure that you ask about your options as far as financing programs go. There are so many programs now that really help out.

But hey what do I know....I just want to sell the most expensive house

stick with one realtor throughout the entire process.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vettewrecker View Post
    And whatever you do, stick with one realtor. We get pissed when we drive to show you homes and then you end up buying with another.
    Quote Originally Posted by victorious_secret View Post
    stick with one realtor throughout the entire process.
    Actually, this dude is going to be my third. The first two, for some reason, dropped contact with ME. I've TRIED to stick with one, but that's harder than y'all are making it out to be. The first one didn't want to talk to me because I wasn't old (Florida has a lot of 55 and older communities and they don't advertise that when you're looking at properties). The second one just stopped returning my calls with no explanation. The third said they were going to email me a few days ago and still no response. If realtors want loyalty, they should learn to communicate to their customers.

I'm really interested in finding MY home. Heck, with the website that third dude has up, I did all the work myself and found the one I'm interested in. By now, he just needs to bring me over there so I can make sure the place exists.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Select one that sells alot of houses. A realtor that is involved in 12 closings a year...ain't worth much!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Make sure you know who the realtor is REALLY working for. Is he/she working for you or for the person that is selling the house? I don't know how things work in Florida. Regardless, be careful what you tell your realtor.
    Go Tech!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    Make sure you know who the realtor is REALLY working for. Is he/she working for you or for the person that is selling the house? I don't know how things work in Florida. Regardless, be careful what you tell your realtor.
    I'd bet it's the same as everywhere else. Unless an agreement is signed to the contrary, the realtor is always "working for" the seller.

Turns out, this dude isn't a realtor after all. He's a "buyer's agent." I wonder what that means?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Turns out, this dude isn't a realtor after all. He's a "buyer's agent." I wonder what that means?

It means he's a realtor, but he only works with buyers. Instead of listing houses to sell, he works with those who are buying the houses. Theoretically, that's who you want to work with as he is supposed to have your best interests in mind and work for you to get the best deal possible. If he's able to come across some information that can get you the house at the best deal possible, he should make that aware to you. If he were dual agent, meaning he respresents the seller and the buyer, then he couldn't do that. Realtors have a fiduciary responsiblity to the seller unless a buyer's agreement is established in which case the "buyer's agent" must make it known to the other realtors that he's a buyer's agent on that transaction.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    The most important thing is to find a GREAT inspector to make sure you're not buying something that will kill your bank account right off the bat. Ask around...this is VITAL.
    I "second" this

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

A very important fact, in my opinion is the tendency to flood. I looked at a house that only had two trees in the yard. One cypress and one overcup oak. This means it is a swamp and will eventually flood. I didn't even get out of the car, but the realtor didn't bring me to any more swampland.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Check into your local laws as to Termite responsibilty once you buy a house; get a contract with a pest control company that guarantees your repairs if termites do occur. Why do this you may ask?...drive by my house, my 1923 vintage house in South Highlands in Shreveport...lots of VERY EXPENSIVE repairs going on right now..and I'm footing the bill:bigcry:. Guess that retirement thing can wait.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

My home buying tips:

1. Good Inspector
    2. 20% cash down - so you do not have to pay PMI - do not let a realtor upsell you out of budget - remember you'll have to furnish the house as well
    3. Insurance - make sure you understand your deductables
    4. Flood - determine if your house is in a flood zone -
    5. An alarm system will usually lower your insurance premiums
    6. Make sure that the dirt work was compacted prior to slab pouring
    7. Make sure that the dirt was sprayed for termites prior to slab pouring
    8. If you are buying a new house make sure to get good estimates on sod and landscaping if those items are not complete
    9. Check with the BBB about the developer / builder
    10. Soil conditions can determine if you need specialized slab construction - research your area - if you have unstable soil make sure you slab is designed and built to reduce chances of cracking
    11. Understand your school districts and fire zones and how they impact the value of your prospective house
    12. Know your tax situation
    13. Get with an accountant / CPA to maximize your upcoming interest expense situation :icon_wink:
    14. Realtors are a 6% markup but usually well worth the investment if this type of transaction is outside your everyday realm.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

First, you need to make sure there's a bunch of hot single girls living next door.

+ Reply to Thread