+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Those of You following Jena Six

Big Dog Dawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to behold Dawgbert's Avatar

Re: For Those of You following Jena Six

I know people who have moved back to the south from up north and said part of the reason is that the south has changed tremendously. They say in the south you know where you stand but in the north the racism is covert. It is there in abundance but people there are not blatant.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbert View Post
    I know people who have moved back to the south from up north and said part of the reason is that the south has changed tremendously. They say in the south you know where you stand but in the north the racism is covert. It is there in abundance but people there are not blatant.
    I've lived in the midwestern, western and southern US and I would have to say that is a pretty true statement. Sometimes it's kind of shocking to me to go back home to Louisiana and see it staring me right in the face. Where I come from in northeastern rural part of the state the neighborhoods and churches are still very much segregated and people speak the "N" word like it's no big deal. I'm a live and let live kind of person, but having been gone so long it really makes me cringe when I go back there.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    I agree with you, totally. The problem here is that they were not charged with a hate crime bthey were charged with second degree attempted murder. This charge is totally ridiculous. The district attorney may have had an argument had he charged them with a hate crime, but I don't know all the facts either. I'm not sure why any of the kids involved in all the violence in Jena weren't charged with hate crimes. What bothers me the most is that there are still places where racism runs rampant both with blacks and whites. I have two kids and they call blacks and whites chocolate people and vanillia people. I have never let them believe there was a difference other than skin color. My parents raised me the same way and consequently I have never seen myself as better or worse than anyone else simply because of skin color. These parents should be ashamed for breeding hatred. Black parents wouldn't have to worry about leinancy if either one of my kids hung a noose from a tree, I would kill them myself.
    There is more than one side to this story. Many of the incidents that led up to this were totaly unrelated. Do some research and you will see. If the tables were turned an six whites jumped a black kid, they would be charged with a hate crime and they would be marching to have them tried as adults for attempted murder.
    Double standards are alive and well within both factions.

Varsity Bulldog JAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of lightJAAgan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Poisso3 View Post
    the KKK might have been started in the South, but the modern Klan was recreated in Ohio back in the 1920s...that's right, the KKK is actually a bunch of Northern Democrats......
    Wanted to stay out of this for the most part, lots of wrong on "both sides" in this situation and many are exploiting it for personal and political gain. As I told my classes today, the real concern is that in this country we never want to have a situation where the crime charged is determined by the race or status of the person accused, rather than the actual action that took place.

But that's not why I posted -- the history teacher in me makes me have to say that the modern Klan originated at Stone Mountain, Georgia in 1915. What you are talking about is most likely the strong support the Klan did gain in the Midwest in the 1920s. Most notably in Indiana where they gained control of the state government. (Another little quibble, the Southern Klan members were Democrats, but in the north it was a mixture. In Indiana the Republican Party won the state with the backing of D. C. Stephenson the Grand Dragon of the State, Stephenson had been a Democrat earlier and switched to the GOP, but I'm not sure how long before he gained such power.)

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by JAAgan View Post
    Wanted to stay out of this for the most part, lots of wrong on "both sides" in this situation and many are exploiting it for personal and political gain. As I told my classes today, the real concern is that in this country we never want to have a situation where the crime charged is determined by the race or status of the person accused, rather than the actual action that took place.

But that's not why I posted -- the history teacher in me makes me have to say that the modern Klan originated at Stone Mountain, Georgia in 1915. What you are talking about is most likely the strong support the Klan did gain in the Midwest in the 1920s. Most notably in Indiana where they gained control of the state government. (Another little quibble, the Southern Klan members were Democrats, but in the north it was a mixture. In Indiana the Republican Party won the state with the backing of D. C. Stephenson the Grand Dragon of the State, Stephenson had been a Democrat earlier and switched to the GOP, but I'm not sure how long before he gained such power.)

Ok, so it was Indiana and not Ohio...

I knew that the modern version of the Klan was inspired by Birth of a Nation, and that the movie premered in Atlanta, but I had forgot the Stone Mountain revival in 1915. The 1920 political KKK in Indiana just sticks out more to me.

My point was to show that the South is not the focal point for racism, even though it is pointed to the most. The Midwest, and "North" are more segragated now than the "South" but when even the smallest "racial" news story surfaces, it is jumped on and allows the rest of the country to cast judgement when other places are just as bad, if not worse.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    There is more than one side to this story. Many of the incidents that led up to this were totaly unrelated. Do some research and you will see. If the tables were turned an six whites jumped a black kid, they would be charged with a hate crime and they would be marching to have them tried as adults for attempted murder.
    Double standards are alive and well within both factions.
    That is why I led my post with "I agree, totally." I was just venting a little about the actions I did know a little about.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Here's my 2 cents. The "6" seem to have been chosen rather indescriminately as the crowd was far greater than 6 who were stomping on this kid. I've got no doubt that the kid who was beaten was antagonizing. The deal is, they are trying to equate hanging the nooses (I don't even know how you spell it) with the physical violence. That weakens their (protestor's) argument IMO. The first kid, Mychal Bell had 5 prior simple battery charges and was on probation when the incident occured. It appears that the DA wrongly tried him as an adult, but the attempted murder charge (2nd degree) doesn't seem to be without precedent. The conspiracy to commit murder charge doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not a law student...maybe guiss can speak to that.

I grew up close to Jena. It seems pretty clear to me that there is some truth to the claims that the white kids were slapped on the wrist and the DA went for the throat of the black kids. But, it's also pretty clear that a battery took place and when you've got 5 priors, you know they aren't gonna do you any favors. I'd be interested to know what the records were on the other kids who've been charged. The DA seems like a guy who popped off in front of kids and may end up having a less than voluntary resignation before it's all said and done.

Eitherway, it's nothing to be proud of on either side.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

I agree with you, totally. The problem here is that they were not charged with a hate crime bthey were charged with second degree attempted murder. This charge is totally ridiculous. The district attorney may have had an argument had he charged them with a hate crime, but I don't know all the facts either. I'm not sure why any of the kids involved in all the violence in Jena weren't charged with hate crimes. What bothers me the most is that there are still places where racism runs rampant both with blacks and whites. I have two kids and they call blacks and whites chocolate people and vanillia people. I have never let them believe there was a difference other than skin color. My parents raised me the same way and consequently I have never seen myself as better or worse than anyone else simply because of skin color. These parents should be ashamed for breeding hatred. Black parents wouldn't have to worry about leinancy if either one of my kids hung a noose from a tree, I would kill them myself.
    "hate crime" is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard. is there even such a thing in louisiana law? a crime is a crime. it's not the justice system's place to judge your motives (beyond whether you meant to do it or not). if they beat the kid and did not stop until he was unconcious, then they very easily could have killed him. that sounds like attempted murder to me, especially when you are dealing with a kid that has a history of getting away with violent crime.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    "hate crime" is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard. is there even such a thing in louisiana law? a crime is a crime. it's not the justice system's place to judge your motives (beyond whether you meant to do it or not). if they beat the kid and did not stop until he was unconcious, then they very easily could have killed him. that sounds like attempted murder to me, especially when you are dealing with a kid that has a history of getting away with violent crime.
    I have to agree with you. I think that "hate crimes" fall under federal statutes, and as thus, a federal prosecuter has to be involved. Is that correct? I don't think there is a law in Louisiana that forbids people from hanging nooses in trees unless they're around someone's neck. Now whether or not some other crime can be tied into their hanging of the nooses, I don't know, but the prosecutor may be proven to be correct in that there is nothing in state law that he can use to punish these punks.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

The US attorney (an african american) made it very clear that he didn't have enough to charge the boys who hung the nooses with a "hate crime." I thought his insight on the issue was very interesting. It was a special on CNN last night. I thought it was pretty good.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

I agree with ther fact that charging people with hate crimes is ridiculous, My point was that if people are going to be charged with hate crimes it has to work both ways. You can't just charge. Blacks should be held to the same standard. I was also stating my disagreement with how the noose situation was handled. If they knew, for sure who did it, these kids should have been expelled. I also think these kids probably didn't come up with this idea by themselves. This behavior was taught. You know daddy probably told them how he would have handled it back in his day.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

I agree with ther fact that charging people with hate crimes is ridiculous, My point was that if people are going to be charged with hate crimes it has to work both ways. You can't just charge. Blacks should be held to the same standard. I was also stating my disagreement with how the noose situation was handled. If they knew, for sure who did it, these kids should have been expelled. I also think these kids probably didn't come up with this idea by themselves. This behavior was taught. You know daddy probably told them how he would have handled it back in his day.
    Unless I misread, I believe that they were originally expelled and...the school board I think...overturned the expulsion.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

The t-shirts that the participants of the march were wearing said "free the Jena 6" as if they had done no wrong. Ridiculous.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Horndawgs View Post
    The t-shirts that the participants of the march were wearing said "free the Jena 6" as if they had done no wrong. Ridiculous.
    did you catch the shot on the news of one of the "jen'na six" signing an autograph on a "jen'na six" t'shirt?

Bell's bail was denied today.

+ Reply to Thread