+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know we suck at volleyball when . . .

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

You know we suck at volleyball when . . .

http://www.latechsports.com/article....09_20_21:30:32

Techsters Stun No. 13 Hawaii with Battle to the Finish

The above is our headline when we win 1 game out of 4. That is embarrassing to me that they would post that headline. Almost as bad as the blue balls w/ the football scores.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: You know we suck at volleyball when . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    http://www.latechsports.com/article....09_20_21:30:32

Techsters Stun No. 13 Hawaii with Battle to the Finish

The above is our headline when we win 1 game out of 4. That is embarrassing to me that they would post that headline. Almost as bad as the blue balls w/ the football scores.
    considering we had never taken a game from them, EVER, i think what they were wanting to show was progress. I was at the game and was damn proud of how those girls played (less the 2nd game) against hawaii, the #13 team in the nation. Tech pushed them pretty hard in 3 of the 4 games and i was proud of them. The first game it looked like Tech was the #13 team and Hawaii was the "never has been".

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    considering we had never taken a game from them, EVER, i think what they were wanting to show was progress. I was at the game and was damn proud of how those girls played (less the 2nd game) against hawaii, the #13 team in the nation. Tech pushed them pretty hard in 3 of the 4 games and i was proud of them. The first game it looked like Tech was the #13 team and Hawaii was the "never has been".
    I'll second that. Crowd did pretty well also.

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

I thought it was a horribly written headline. As soon as I realized it meant we won the first game but not the match, I quit reading.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 96bulldog View Post
    I thought it was a horribly written headline. As soon as I realized it meant we won the first game but not the match, I quit reading.
    I don't see anything wrong with the headline. It let YOU know how the game went, because it got you to read far enough to find out.

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with the headline. It let YOU know how the game went, because it got you to read far enough to find out.
    Yeah it did get people to read it because it sounded like we took them all the way to game 5 and lost like 13-15 or something. Yes it did what a headline is supposed to do by getting people to read the story, but once you read the story, it makes us look stupid. Winning a game against Hawaii is a big deal considering Hawaii is always a top team in volleyball. However, would we say that softball battled to the finish if they won the first game of the three game series. I doubt it.

I am not taking anything away from taking one game from Hawaii. Before New Mexico State came into the WAC, I don't think that any team had taken any games from them. Is it a big deal? YES. However, the headline of the story makes it sound like we are just happy to take a game or two from teams.

2005 Bowl Confidence Contest Champion LaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the rough LaTechRandy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    I'll second that. Crowd did pretty well also.
    How big do u estimate the crowd was?
    Last edited by LaTechRandy; 09-24-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Does Louisiana high schools play volleyball?

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 96bulldog View Post

Did it again:

http://www.latechsports.com/article....09_27_20:55:44

We took Idaho to extra points in the fist game!

Still got swept. If we play so well in game one, where is that same fire and intensity in games 2 and 3? Do they give everything they have in the first game and then just give up?

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

From a teaching stand point it was a horrible headline. Looking at it from the true goal of readership though, it does its job because people looked and/or read it.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Whoever is writing this stuff is reaching. The headline should have said something about us losing. Going to extra points . . . .? What is the deal w/ our volleyball program? Why do we suck so bad every year?
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    From a teaching stand point it was a horrible headline. Looking at it from the true goal of readership though, it does its job because people looked and/or read it.
    The headlines do what they are supposed to by getting you to read the story, but at the same time it makes us look stupid. The headline should reflect our accomplishments, but it should also not be so deceptive. I called a friend of mine who teaches journalism classes and she said she was going to print them off to show her class what not to do.

Puppy hilltopper is on the way down

Well this is the way we view, support, and speak about our programs (In a Negative manner) at LA Tech. The forum reads "you know we suck at Volleyball when(When our SID writes this stuff)???? Well if this is the case, we Suck at Softball, Tennis, Bowling,Soccer, Basketball(Men's & Women's), not to mention Football. When are we going to start up those forums for knit picking comments on them. As an Alumni we do what we can with what we have( Not a lot) at this moment. Lack of missleading headlines is the least of our worries. Things are looking up fpr all of our sports (Thank Karl) at La Tech. Lets try and support them, and quit bashing them. Because WE SUCK at a lot of sports. Better forum woudl haev been: What sport we suck at the most, and should consider dropping?

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10cDawg View Post
    The headlines do what they are supposed to by getting you to read the story, but at the same time it makes us look stupid. The headline should reflect our accomplishments, but it should also not be so deceptive. I called a friend of mine who teaches journalism classes and she said she was going to print them off to show her class what not to do.

The jouralism teacher I work with already has. As well as, used it as an example for our academic team that actually competes in headline writing. I personally like the volleyball coach and lord knows she does alot with her girls, without much support. My problem with the writing is how someone outside the Tech nation who reads it responds.

Quote Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
    Well this is the way we view, support, and speak about our programs (In a Negative manner) at LA Tech. The forum reads "you know we suck at Volleyball when(When our SID writes this stuff)???? Well if this is the case, we Suck at Softball, Tennis, Bowling,Soccer, Basketball(Men's & Women's), not to mention Football. When are we going to start up those forums for knit picking comments on them. As an Alumni we do what we can with what we have( Not a lot) at this moment. Lack of missleading headlines is the least of our worries. Things are looking up fpr all of our sports (Thank Karl) at La Tech. Lets try and support them, and quit bashing them. Because WE SUCK at a lot of sports. Better forum woudl haev been: What sport we suck at the most, and should consider dropping?

Ok so we cut a women's sport to add another women's sport? We all know that we had to add soccer and bowling to meet Title IX requirements. So if we cut a women's sport, we would have to add something with that amount of athletes. I wasn't bashing the volleyball team at all. In fact, I even made a comment about what a big deal it was that we took a game from Hawaii. I wasn't even bashing our SID's. I don't think anyone on here was bashing one particular person. Maybe I am wrong about that. I was just saying that you need to think headlines through before you post them on the internet. I would say that about any news story that I read which had a deceptive headline. The headlines made us look content with losing. It made us look like we just want to be competitive. WE don't want to actually win the WAC or anything just be competitive. That was my point. I never said that was the goal of the volleyball team. I know they want to win. I know Mazeitis wants to win. I don't know why they aren't winning. Again, I wasn't bashing the volleyball team.

+ Reply to Thread