+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite JOHN WAYNE Movie!

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: Your Favorite JOHN WAYNE Movie!

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Zulu...Michael Caine's first movie and Stanley Baker's best effort.
    Yes! Its awesome. Zulu Dawn not so much, but no one really remembers that one anyway.

Zulu, amongst several John Wayne movies, Die Hard, and a few others, sits amongst my MAN STASH of VHS tapes at the hunting lodge.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I'm sorry. If I see an actor in more than one movie, I like for him to be able to portray more than one character type. John Wayne didn't have range as far as characters go. I find his acting style very boring.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Sands of Iwo Jima
    The Quiet Man
    The Longest Day

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

My favorite is RED RIVER.
    Go Tech!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I'm sorry. If I see an actor in more than one movie, I like for him to be able to portray more than one character type. John Wayne didn't have range as far as characters go. I find his acting style very boring.
    Oh Please!

Jimmy Stewart - I don't care what role he played he was still Jimmy Stewart.

Tommy Lee Jones - same

Robert Redford - same

Robert DeNiro - same

Robert Duvall - Will you EVER be able to see him as anything other than Gus McRae?

I will say that there have been a few great ones who have changed as they have aged like maybe Charlton Heston or Brando. The same goes for most female greats IMO.

Just go ahead and say that you can't relate to the Duke because his machoness makes you uncomfortable.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

You are not a man unless you like John Wayne!
    Go Tech!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Oh Please!

Jimmy Stewart - I don't care what role he played he was still Jimmy Stewart.

Tommy Lee Jones - same

Robert Redford - same

Robert DeNiro - same

Robert Duvall - Will you EVER be able to see him as anything other than Gus McRae?
    Can't say that I really care for those actors, either. I do have to disagree on Deniro. You obvioiusly didn't see him in comedic roles.

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    You are not a man unless you like John Wayne!
    How's this, then. I like John Wayne. I think he's great for the roles that he plays. I just don't like his roles.:icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Just go ahead and say that you can't relate to the Duke because his machoness makes you uncomfortable.
    That's not it at all. His roles just always reminded me of a bully. I spent my life standing up to bullies for my friends, so I just can't relate to him. I have no problem with machoness. I just like a little humility to go with it, and his characters always struck me as arrogant. Of course, that's based on maybe 1 or 2 snippets from movies I just couldn't watch. I think the other part that figures into it is the fact that EVERYONE thinks he's the greatest. I always find it hard to go along with the crowd.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

That's not it at all. His roles just always reminded me of a bully. I spent my life standing up to bullies for my friends, so I just can't relate to him. I have no problem with machoness. I just like a little humility to go with it, and his characters always struck me as arrogant. Of course, that's based on maybe 1 or 2 snippets from movies I just couldn't watch. I think the other part that figures into it is the fact that EVERYONE thinks he's the greatest. I always find it hard to go along with the crowd.
    I think that's the bottom line. I have the same reaction to Elvis.

I've always thought of John Wayne's characters as largely "gentle giant" types, that sort of strong but meek. However, in "sound bytes" he does often come off the way you describe.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

People just can't relate to the badassery of John Wayne.

Chuck Norris tells John Wayne jokes.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

. Just couldn't "relate" to the Duke.
    Come now, I thought you wore the berets in college trying to be like the Duke (Green Berets)

Shootist was one of my favs. I had a lab named Dollar, after Duke's horse in the Shootist. :bigcry:

Chisolm and Rooster Cogburn were good too.

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar

The Quiet Man has to be my favorite - a fist fight through the entire town.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

OMG! Hands down - True Grit. I've watched it so many times I do the lines along with it when we watch it! I quote it often. I have threatened people with my lawyer J Noble Daggett. LOL It works! I once named my cat General Sterling Price!
    I also can watch Big Jake anytime and quote it often too. Any of his films with Maureen O'Hara cannot be beat! McClintock, The Quiet Man. Love the Cowboys and Cahill too!
    And I LOVE The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. When Tom drawls, "My boy Pompey - in the kitchen door." Hot Damn!

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    OMG! Hands down - True Grit. I've watched it so many times I do the lines along with it when we watch it! I quote it often. I have threatened people with my lawyer J Noble Daggett. LOL It works! I once named my cat General Sterling Price!
    I also can watch Big Jake anytime and quote it often too. Any of his films with Maureen O'Hara cannot be beat! McClintock, The Quiet Man. Love the Cowboys and Cahill too!
    And I LOVE The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. When Tom drawls, "My boy Pompey - in the kitchen door." Hot Damn!
    Read the True Grit novel if you get a chance. The script follows it almost word and word and in book form it's just as funny.

Hollywood doesn't care much for John Wayne and similar types but did give him the Best Actor Oscar for True Grit.

Axiom: A bad John Wayne movie is better than no John Wayne movie at all.

+ Reply to Thread