+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any news from fall practice?

Puppy BB LaDawg is an unknown BB LaDawg's Avatar

Re: Any news from fall practice?

Quote Originally Posted by rondawg View Post
    Seriously we need JJ to return to form for us to be a good team this year. I think he's playing in the world series so we can see his progress.
    I did hear that Jericho will be playing in the world series, and I hope he is healthy and ready to go. However, I hate the fact that some of you don't think we can have a good team without him. Jericho is an asset to the Bulldogs, but he is not the only one who can make our team good this year.

COME ON - it takes a lot of great players to pull off a good season. I seriously hate the "one man show" idea. Let's give some credit and support to the other players who deserve it.

I am confident that we have enough oustanding players on our team to be good in spite of injuries. Although, I am hopeful that our best players are on the field and in good health when the Spring season starts.

Puppy rondawg is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BB LaDawg View Post
    I did hear that Jericho will be playing in the world series, and I hope he is healthy and ready to go. However, I hate the fact that some of you don't think we can have a good team without him. Jericho is an asset to the Bulldogs, but he is not the only one who can make our team good this year.

COME ON - it takes a lot of great players to pull off a good season. I seriously hate the "one man show" idea. Let's give some credit and support to the other players who deserve it.

I am confident that we have enough oustanding players on our team to be good in spite of injuries. Although, I am hopeful that our best players are on the field and in good health when the Spring season starts.
    Agree. What I should have said was if JJ came back and played like he did as a frosh it could help the team. Actually we played our best ball last year when JJ was hurt and not playing. But he does have big time POTENTIAL. His arm could be the biggest factor.

I agree whole heartedly about the "team concept" that is pervasive on the La Tech baseball team. Great job seniors.

This team will not win or lose due to one player being in or out of the line up. If player "A" can't go player "B" can step in, if either of them cant go; Player "C" can roll. If PT needs to move to CF; Bohannan, Alexander, JJ or Cobb will do the job elsewhere.

The entire team at the fall workouts have that mentality. No one person is indispensable. Oregon State should have taught all college baseball (teams and fans) that over the last two years. Ellsberry/Perdora (from the Red Sox) are reminding us of that every day we see a playoff or world series game.

You won't see a drop off in defense or offense interchanging any of these players on the field. I believe the front part of the season is where Sim will demonstrate player interchangeability, then he can focus in on what is important for the team......pitching.

On the mound is a different story, there are never enough arms. That is where everyone needs to step up. If one person is unable to produce on the mound, we will need to dig deep. The frosh pitchers that have been brought in, look good. We need more. The JC ranks may need to support us over the next two years as we build a pipeline to meet the challenges of the new rules/schedule.

Pitchers need their rest for success. There are reasons why starters need the 4 days of rest between starts. It's not only for the body, its the mind. If our pitchers focus on a routine and understand what their duties are for the team and we don't clutter their minds with opposing demands (getting batters out vs. not getting out) we will be in better shape moving forward. We need starters to get into the 6,7, and 8th inning. We need four guys that can do that.

I'm hearing Mosley looks real good; movement and strikes. Luke is lighting up the radar gun. Knotts, Bradshaw and C Jones and getting lots of outs. I'm hoping this is JJ's dominate year on the mound.

So I imagine the teams are set for this weekend. Who's has the inside track. Lets hear who's on what team and lets make some predictions. Seniors picked: Bunting, Lorio, Knotts, Lassier, Cobb, Alsup and Goulder. I'm guessing Luke was the first pick. He projected to be the 14th college player selected in the MLB draft right now. I'd think he's number one in La Tech.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: Any news from fall practice?

We don't have quite the depth and experience to back up the starters like we did last season. The only two backups that have considerable experience are Drew Thomas & Drew Bunting (position players).Our pitching depth is better this season and we will need every bit of it. We really can't afford to have the injury bug hit our position players or we're in deep doo doo.This is the 3rd year this starting lineup has been together (with a few of them moving in & out of the lineup), so I look for them to gel as a team this season with a balance of contributions. No one single player should have undue expectations put on him and I don't think Jericho will start the season feeling the pressure of trying to carry the team. Tech baseball will be very exciting to watch this year. I am looking forward to some reports on the fall world series this weekend.

Bulldog baseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around here baseballfan's Avatar

The key to a successful team is players coming through at key times. It is well and good that a player can hit homeruns against fastballs in the fall, but can a player come through with players in scoring position and when the game is on the line and they are not just throwing fastballs?

Last season we saw it when some did well in the fall and did not contribute in the spring.

You need experience under pressure to be successful!

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tellmesomethingidontknow View Post
    I agree whole heartedly about the "team concept" that is pervasive on the La Tech baseball team. Great job seniors.

This team will not win or lose due to one player being in or out of the line up. If player "A" can't go player "B" can step in, if either of them cant go; Player "C" can roll. If PT needs to move to CF; Bohannan, Alexander, JJ or Cobb will do the job elsewhere.

The entire team at the fall workouts have that mentality. No one person is indispensable. Oregon State should have taught all college baseball (teams and fans) that over the last two years. Ellsberry/Perdora (from the Red Sox) are reminding us of that every day we see a playoff or world series game.

You won't see a drop off in defense or offense interchanging any of these players on the field. I believe the front part of the season is where Sim will demonstrate player interchangeability, then he can focus in on what is important for the team......pitching.

On the mound is a different story, there are never enough arms. That is where everyone needs to step up. If one person is unable to produce on the mound, we will need to dig deep. The frosh pitchers that have been brought in, look good. We need more. The JC ranks may need to support us over the next two years as we build a pipeline to meet the challenges of the new rules/schedule.

Pitchers need their rest for success. There are reasons why starters need the 4 days of rest between starts. It's not only for the body, its the mind. If our pitchers focus on a routine and understand what their duties are for the team and we don't clutter their minds with opposing demands (getting batters out vs. not getting out) we will be in better shape moving forward. We need starters to get into the 6,7, and 8th inning. We need four guys that can do that.

I'm hearing Mosley looks real good; movement and strikes. Luke is lighting up the radar gun. Knotts, Bradshaw and C Jones and getting lots of outs. I'm hoping this is JJ's dominate year on the mound.

So I imagine the teams are set for this weekend. Who's has the inside track. Lets hear who's on what team and lets make some predictions. Seniors picked: Bunting, Lorio, Knotts, Lassier, Cobb, Alsup and Goulder. I'm guessing Luke was the first pick. He projected to be the 14th college player selected in the MLB draft right now. I'd think he's number one in La Tech.
    Uhhh, this just in. Alsup is gone. Other than that, great post.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfan View Post
    The key to a successful team is players coming through at key times. It is well and good that a player can hit homeruns against fastballs in the fall, but can a player come through with players in scoring position and when the game is on the line and they are not just throwing fastballs?

Last season we saw it when some did well in the fall and did not contribute in the spring.

You need experience under pressure to be successful!
    Well said

Bulldog pickoff is an unknown

Just curious but what about Lassere,Lorio,Braud? I kind of heard they were also doing well but they are not from around there. Some of you people on this fourm make me sick. And you talk about team!

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Saw Braud and Lorio throw Sunday. Braud looked good. Lorio looked OK. Have not seen Lassere pitch, but heard he's been throwing well. I have a feeling he's gonna have a good year. JJ's also killing the ball and looked good on the mound, throwing only fastballs.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    We don't have quite the depth and experience to back up the starters like we did last season. The only two backups that have considerable experience are Drew Thomas & Drew Bunting (position players).Our pitching depth is better this season and we will need every bit of it. We really can't afford to have the injury bug hit our position players or we're in deep doo doo.This is the 3rd year this starting lineup has been together (with a few of them moving in & out of the lineup), so I look for them to gel as a team this season with a balance of contributions. No one single player should have undue expectations put on him and I don't think Jericho will start the season feeling the pressure of trying to carry the team. Tech baseball will be very exciting to watch this year. I am looking forward to some reports on the fall world series this weekend.

Wouldn't call Bunting a "backup" being that he hit in the 3-hole the last half of the season last year. And for the record, Luke wasn't the first pick...

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    How much does Jericho weigh this year? Surely he gained some weight with you hangin from his nuts like that.
    How are you going to protect Albie in the lineup without Jericho?? What about the strongest outfield arm?? He's the best that I've seen in a LONG time at two strike hitting. IF he can be a solid starting pitcher, then this team should be playing in a regional. We are too unproven at most of the other positions for me to say that without Jericho.

Baseball Re: Any news from fall practice?

Quote Originally Posted by pickoff View Post
    Just curious but what about Lassere,Lorio,Braud? I kind of heard they were also doing well but they are not from around there. Some of you people on this fourm make me sick. And you talk about team!
    Sorry, I was referring to position players,not pitchers. I went on to say that we have much better depth in pitching (of which Lassere,Lorio,Braud are key ingredients).Many games will be decided on the level of their performance this season,and I think they will come thru for us.Bunting was a backup but (you're right) isn't considered one anymore. He is the most patient player at the plate and manages to get a decent pitch to hit on each plate appearance.I project him splitting time as DH and infielder. His bat is very important to our success.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

This will be a fun year as we will have several new faces in starting lineup that get their chance after being key backups in past. Definitely will take a team effort collectively. Quality and experience of depth behind 8 position players will be interesting as Falcon has already stated.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    How are you going to protect Albie in the lineup without Jericho?? What about the strongest outfield arm?? He's the best that I've seen in a LONG time at two strike hitting. IF he can be a solid starting pitcher, then this team should be playing in a regional. We are too unproven at most of the other positions for me to say that without Jericho.
    I've said it before and I will say it again: Jericho is a superb kid with tons of potential. Why is that not enough for some of you? There's no need to heap praise and exaggerate his impact. IF Albie needs protection, there are any number of players who could provide that: Bunting, PThomas, Kersten...to name a few.

I've said it before and I will say it again: the numbers don't lie. Best two strike hitter? He led the team in strikeouts two years straight. By definition, to strike out, a player has to have two strikes. So, on what do you base your statement? Reputation? Emotion?

Why do some of you feel the need to glorify certain players? So many times, this just sets them up for a fall. Jericho does not need the BBB squad to build his confidence and support his ego. Let's resist the urge to lay it on so thick and put more pressure on these kids than they already have. Likewise, let's resist the urge to slam other kids whose performance wains at times because we haven't given them "star" status.

And, lastly, I don't see most of our position players as unproven. Maybe they didn't start all the time, but most of them had the opportunity to show what they could do. I agree we can expect big things this year; hopefully, from Jericho and all the others who've shown they can step up when needed.

Puppy Sportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really niceSportsman is just really nice Sportsman's Avatar

Does anyone know who's on what team for the Blue/Grey Series?

+ Reply to Thread