+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Any news from fall practice?

Bulldog baseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around herebaseballfan has turned a few heads around here baseballfan's Avatar

Re: Any news from fall practice?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    My guess on starting pitching for a 3 game series......Fri-Burnett, Sat-Moseley, Sun-JJ 4 game conference series......Fri-Burnett, Sat doubleheader-Moseley&Bradshaw, Sun-JJ middle of the week starters....Lassere,LeBreton& Anderson. Lorio should be our closer and the rest of the pitching staff will be middle relief. Any other ideas or insights?
    If you use JJ as the mid-week starter you can have him play RF all weekend vs having to rest his arm or take a mental break before he pitches.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

My guess on starting pitching for a 3 game series......Fri-Burnett, Sat-Moseley, Sun-JJ 4 game conference series......Fri-Burnett, Sat doubleheader-Moseley&Bradshaw, Sun-JJ middle of the week starters....Lassere,LeBreton& Anderson. Lorio should be our closer and the rest of the pitching staff will be middle relief. Any other ideas or insights?
    Don't be surprised if Knotts pushes someone out of 4 game conference rotation, unless Wade would rather have him in pen as relief with Lorio or Wade just wants to stick with past year starters. Like your thoughts on Bradshaw if he continues to improve by Spring as they need a LHP in mix of 4 conference starters. Lassere better suited to middle relief and situational to left handed hitters.

Puppy rondawg is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    Don't be surprised if Knotts pushes someone out of 4 game conference rotation, unless Wade would rather have him in pen as relief with Lorio or Wade just wants to stick with past year starters. Like your thoughts on Bradshaw if he continues to improve by Spring as they need a LHP in mix of 4 conference starters. Lassere better suited to middle relief and situational to left handed hitters.
    I didn't see all of the pitchers throw but Bradshaw was the most improved this fall IMO. Not sure what was up with Mosely, he got hit pretty hard, hope he gets it straight before spring. I heard we were losing a pitcher(transfering) but person that told me forgot his name but thought he was a freshman. Anybody heard? Also wonder who all will red-shirt?

The key to success for this year is rest and stamina.
    They are looking at modifying the workouts to allow the team to finish stronger. The boys keep falling off the cliff at season end. A new strategy is in hand......rest.

Pitchers on the weekends:
    Burnett/ Mosley/JJ/ Jones/Bradshaw

Closer: Lorio

JJ will DH the game after he pitches. If Bohannan doesn't hit, JJ will play RF after he pitches and bunting will DH. Or......look for transfer to fill in if he can hit......which he is not known for. (Fact: not talking down)

Corner OF'ers / Infld'ers are offensive positions.

Combs is the starting catcher......again. Split time with.........You have to guess. It will be someone else in the DblHd'ers.

LHP freshman will pitch mid week games early on. If unhit or low runs, could find himself in the weekend rotation. My assessment......no way. LHP'ers need a pulse and to throw strikes, hitters will get themselves out.....friggin leftys...

Puppy latechsports! is an unknown

I talked to one of the guys on the team and they said they thought the knotts kid was gonna be one of the starters along with burnett and mosley. during conference they said jj would be other starter for the 4th game. i only saw knotts throw once and he did good but i thought bradshaw threw great all fall and should get alook again this year as one of the starters. he also adds a lefty in there which is good. lassere, lorio, anderson, bradshaw, and lebreton were mentioned as the main relievers.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: Any news from fall practice?

The comment about rest and stamina is right on. Last seasons' travel schedule was brutal,especially at the end of the season when we needed to finish strong. Does anyone know if Szymanski is still the strength & conditioning coach? I hope they can figure out how to keep their stamina up.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

What about Clint Helms?? He had a pretty good Summer league including the 1 hitter and the no hitter back to back. Did he impress during the fall??

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    What about Clint Helms?? He had a pretty good Summer league including the 1 hitter and the no hitter back to back. Did he impress during the fall??
    Did not have a strong fall.

or....he got hammered.

And thats part of the problem of the fallball in total. We play against ourselves, we know each other too well. JJ knows he'll see nothing inside from Helms and he can sit outer half. Kersten will see nothing but off speed stuff and can sit on a hanger. And there is one player that must be hitting .900 against him. I won't mention his name.

I'll be very interested to see if opposing hitters see Helms as our hitters see him; F.A.S. The early part of the season will tell for Clint. I like his velo and it seems as if nothing bothers him.....hes got the right makeup. Now we need to see the result.

I would love for LT hitters to see Scheppers (FSU) for 4 months going into the season. Instead of seeing him in 1-2 inning stints over 4 games.

Other items:

I forgot about Knotts........you are right.....LHP

I will be biased on Knotts and Bradshaw. They know what needs to be done and can get it done.

Not talking down..........being direct.

Bulldog pickoff is an unknown

I think i got it from a good source about our pitching situation and some of you can't be more wrong. Just let coach sim decide and quit squaking about who's going to pitch.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Many of our hitters used to hammer Luke until he came up with the splitter. Now sitting on a fastball sets you back in the dugout in a hurry. Luke has the splitter and slow curve,Moseley has the sinker and changeup,& JJ has the knuckle curve and changeup. These guys are learning to pitch after seeing how they got knocked around trying to throw a steady diet of fastballs.Helms is learning the same lesson.He needs at least one other pitch he can throw for a strike at any time in the count.Helms had no confidence and got rattled easily last fall, so it is good to hear he has improved in that part of his game. So which freshman pitcher is transferring out? It is my opinion that we don't call near enough changeups during the course of a game (especially in a fastball situation when the hitter is sitting on a fastball).After watching 30 plus games last season, I noticed that with the count 3-1 or 3-2 you could almost guarantee that our pitchers were coming with a fastball.When you're sitting on a fastball and you get a fastball the results usually aren't good for the pitcher.(and they weren't). Another observation......if our pitchers get ahead in the count 0-2 you can guarantee the nex't pitch will be a fastball either high or way outside. Why waste a pitch and cut into the stamina of our pitchers with a wasted pitch that no one in their right mind would swing at? Go after the hitter and either go for the K or at least call a pitch on the fringe of the plate that the batter has to swing at ( or at least be tempted to swing at).We might actually see our pitchers go deeper into games and have to use our bullpen less. Sorry, just a couple of my "pet peeves".

Quote Originally Posted by pickoff View Post
    Just curious but what about Lassere,Lorio,Braud? I kind of heard they were also doing well but they are not from around there. Some of you people on this fourm make me sick. And you talk about team!
    I'll say it again.....Lassere,Lorio,& Braud will play pivotal roles this season.Their experience is crucial to our success.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Many of our hitters used to hammer Luke until he came up with the splitter. Now sitting on a fastball sets you back in the dugout in a hurry. Luke has the splitter and slow curve,Moseley has the sinker and changeup,& JJ has the knuckle curve and changeup. These guys are learning to pitch after seeing how they got knocked around trying to throw a steady diet of fastballs.Helms is learning the same lesson.He needs at least one other pitch he can throw for a strike at any time in the count.Helms had no confidence and got rattled easily last fall, so it is good to hear he has improved in that part of his game. So which freshman pitcher is transferring out? It is my opinion that we don't call near enough changeups during the course of a game (especially in a fastball situation when the hitter is sitting on a fastball).After watching 30 plus games last season, I noticed that with the count 3-1 or 3-2 you could almost guarantee that our pitchers were coming with a fastball.When you're sitting on a fastball and you get a fastball the results usually aren't good for the pitcher.(and they weren't). Another observation......if our pitchers get ahead in the count 0-2 you can guarantee the nex't pitch will be a fastball either high or way outside. Why waste a pitch and cut into the stamina of our pitchers with a wasted pitch that no one in their right mind would swing at? Go after the hitter and either go for the K or at least call a pitch on the fringe of the plate that the batter has to swing at ( or at least be tempted to swing at).We might actually see our pitchers go deeper into games and have to use our bullpen less. Sorry, just a couple of my "pet peeves".
    If the pitcher doesn't like the pitch, unless things have changed in the past year or two, he can shake it off. Also, the thought behind throwing fastballs in 3-1 counts is to avoid the walk. Even a good hitter will get out 70% of the time. If a pitcher has enough control with his offspeed and has the confidence of the coaches to throw an offspeed pitch in a fastball situation, I doubt they will have a problem if he shakes off a pitch or two here and there. But if a pitcher shakes off some 3-1 fastballs and walks hitters, that's a different story...

Walks and hit batters killed us last season. With this new format of 4 game conference series, the perfomance of our pitching staff is more crucial than ever. Our pitchers will begin the season with limited pitch counts which means we will see a lot of pitchers shuttled into these games ( we play 14 games in the first 17 days of the season). A real "trial by fire" when we'll see who is ready for prime time. 99 days and counting !

+ Reply to Thread