+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiders?

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Spiders?

I took this pic of this huge spider outside my house, wondering if anyone can tell me what it is? or is it poisonous? I ended up spraying some Bengal on it...he ended up falling to the ground, dead. The spider was a little over 1 inch in diameter.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Spiders?

Here's another pic, this thing produced a huge web (1.5 foot wide)

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Can't see any of the pics, but since you said it was a large spider I would guess that it's not poisonous. The brown recluse and black widow are the only spiders we have around here that can actually harm you.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Looks like an orb weaver spider of some sort. Harmless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneidae

There is also a "brown widow" that has migrated into south Louisiana (and after a little review, I think I have seen them around my house as well). I am not sure about north Louisiana yet.

My home has had over 30 black widows around it. I found 25 in a 2 week period within 6 months after construction. I have an unobstructed path for them to reach my home by air with a large cleared field behind my house separating me from acreage containing many trees. I have gotten rid of almost all of them because I have small children. I still see them quite a bit.

It has been over 25 years since a black widow has caused a death in the US. They are afraid of people and unless you are digging around in their habitat you will likely never see them. They are more dangerous to the very young and elderly. Also, with reports of brown recluse bites you may want to dig a little deeper upon reading. Many, many people CLAIM to have been bitten by one who have not and many people claim to have seen them when they have really seen far more common spiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_recluse

IMHO its worth it to learn a little bit about their habits because you can discourage their presence. Other spiders, I want to keep around. I would much prefer them to other bugs

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Aren't you Buddhist? I thought killing spiders was illegal for ya'll :icon_wink:

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

We also get wolf spiders. They are big and fast and they HUNT rather than spin a web.

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Aren't you Buddhist? I thought killing spiders was illegal for ya'll :icon_wink:
    Non-practicing one...

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Non-practicing one...
    Now is the time of the year to see tarantulas crossing the highway in wooded areas. I usually see some going to work every day driving from Conway to Morrilton on Hwy 60. Don't kill them. They are harmless.

Varsity Bulldog Junky has turned a few heads around hereJunky has turned a few heads around hereJunky has turned a few heads around here

I think my biggest fear is of spiders, doesn't matter if its big or small, if I see it, it dies.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I'm not really scared of them but I started looking up other spiders I've seen around our plant and looking at all the pics gave me the creepy crawlies. If someone had tickled my neck I would have jumped 20 feet straight up and probably flailed around like I was on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Junky View Post
    I think my biggest fear is of spiders, doesn't matter if its big or small, if I see it, it dies.
    What if it was radioactive?

Varsity Bulldog Junky has turned a few heads around hereJunky has turned a few heads around hereJunky has turned a few heads around here

It would die as well......and I would get superhuman powers

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

Should I share my spider stories from Ruston?

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Killed a Copperhead in my garage this morning, ahhhuuungg. Scared me to death.

+ Reply to Thread