+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Oxford, observation

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

From Oxford, observation

Currently in Oxford...and overall I hate my experience here.

1. Had a lot of snooty Ole Miss fans make rude comments to my group of friends.
    2. Their fans are snobs.
    3. Wierd alcohol laws...Beer is prohibited, but alcohol is ok...but you have to hide it in a brown bag. The only beer you can get in Oxford is 3.2% alcohol. From what I heard they want to cut down on drinking and their best fix was to let ppl get blitz off of hard liquor than weak beer. Great thinking Ole Miss.
    4. I like Tech tailgating much better.
    5. Mississippi fans have no class (no where as bad as LSU fans...but the snobbiness is annoying)
    6. The Grove was a sight to see, but I had to hide my alcohol throughout the day.
    7. I didn't like my experience in Oxford. My best road experience was to A&M...they were pretty nice and very hospitable. I had only 2 Ole Miss fans that were nice to me. Everyone else there were yuppy pricks.
    9. Had a good number of tech fans showed up.

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough

Re: From Oxford, observation

i went to ole miss my frosh year before i came to tech. and yes, they live up to their snobby stereotype. the silver lining was that the cool people were really friendly b/c we were surrounded by snotty douchebags.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Y'all left out one point: when the band plays Dixie, it seems as though the Ole Miss fans are crestfallen because they long for the old days...mint julips on the varanda made by the butler and served by the three-nutted houseboy. Oh, those old days would have been 100 to 150 years ago...those folks are in a time warp!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Y'all left out one point: when the band plays Dixie, it seems as though the Ole Miss fans are crestfallen because they long for the old days...mint julips on the varanda made by the butler and served by the three-nutted houseboy. Oh, those old days would have been 100 to 150 years ago...those folks are in a time warp!
    Do you say that just because the band plays Dixie and the fans wave the CSA flag?

Champ DQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to beholdDQDawg is a splendid one to behold

I met a lot of Ole Miss fans this past weekend, ALL were very hospitable and courteous from recommending places to eat/stay, and directions to/from places.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    Do you say that just because the band plays Dixie and the fans wave the CSA flag?
    No, I do not.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

I did not have a negative experience. There were some "bad fans" (i.e. telling us to go back to the bayou, after they won they told us very rudely to go home). Most however, were very friendly and courteous. We thought we had bad fans about making noise? The Tech section, even after we were getting beat, still made lots of noise. We need to keep our heads high. I can't wait to see what this staff will do with their recruits.

JFord

Champ Reddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of light

I had a great time. Only one negative comment and it wasn't a big deal. I thought the campus was nice and the grove area with the players walking through was great. I did think there fans were pretty weak during the game, but they were 1-4 and we were 1-3, it was HOT and the game was never really exciting. From all of the away games I have been to, this was the best turnout for Tech fans, but I thought they were pretty quiet too. I guess for the same reasons as the Ole Miss fans were.

The old downtown area of Oxford was really nice and is something I would like to see Ruston do.

Oh, we did get to sit behind our dance team. They were HOT too:icon_wink:

RD

We're gonna miss you dawgpound!

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

I thought Oxford was very pretty, lots of old houses and oak trees. The Grove was impressive, but I love the way we tailgate at Tech better. I did find the people there to be snotty and I guess they do think they are "Hotty Toddy" whatever the hell that means, I just said GO Dawgs whenever it was said to me. For the most part the people were nice, mostly they just ignored us. I thought that was way better than being cussed by people from our own state like they did in Baton Rouge. The only exception to being ignored is when my son, his dad and I were almost run over by an Ole Miss fan in a pickup truck in the stadium parking lot as we walked to the game. I guess we didn't show the appropriate deference and jump out of the way fast enough. A slap to the back of the old bat's pickup truck seemed to get her attention. I loved all the Tech fans that showed up. Our alumni tailgate was very nice. Other than that it was too damn hot to sit and watch the offensive Offensive debacle that transpired on that field. It was 8 o'clock before I finally felt cool!
    I thought their RED, BLUE chant was contrived and my son entertained me with a very funny imitation of it last night and today which has cracked me up everytime he does it. I've requested it several times it's so funny! I also was amused by pale inebriated co-eds in tacky sundresses and high heels tottering around pulling ice chests. That took the cake right there.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Oh and I thought the SEC officials were awful. That was an ongoing observation throughout the game.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

I would LOVE to see us get a series with Ole Miss. Great campus, people, and town. It really reminded me of a larger Ruston/Tech. Ole Miss would be a good standard for us to build toward.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I actually liked the place. Nobody said anything negative to our group all day. Our defense played their hearts out. Our offense needs a spark--they're not terrible, they just need a spark at a certain position. Believe it or not, I think we just need a few plays a game to get out of the slump. We've shown some ability to move the ball (we outgained the last two opponents getting no touchdowns while they get 4 four!). That tells me we don't have a playmaker at quarterback.

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

i dont see how yall can say that Tech tailgaiting is better...set up in a parking lot or set up in a place like the Grove...we need to turn hide-a-way park into something similar.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

We had an overall good experience, exept for the fact it was HOT! We even had one old guy tell us he was pulling for us, he hated their coach.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I actually liked the place. Nobody said anything negative to our group all day. Our defense played their hearts out. Our offense needs a spark--they're not terrible, they just need a spark at a certain position. Believe it or not, I think we just need a few plays a game to get out of the slump. We've shown some ability to move the ball (we outgained the last two opponents getting no touchdowns while they get 4 four!). That tells me we don't have a playmaker at quarterback.

Talked to one LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG TIME tech fan. He and his wife made trip through the Grove. His comment was, "THAT is what tailgating is supposed to be like." He said the folks there were super friendly to him and his wife as they wondered around.

Most everyone i came in to contact with were nice enough. Still like the Auburn folks and Nebraska folks though. Had a ton of them go out of their way to welcome us to Auburn and Lincoln on gameday.

Now, the concession folks . . .. . . thats what concession folks are supposed to be like. Of course, judging by the prices, they might be a happier brand of worker than the norm. :icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread