+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tradition

Puppy LaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the ears

Tradition

Don’t know if this has been talked about yet, because I haven’t been on here that long, but this is an idea that I pitched to the football team and the school is going forward with for the start of next football season. Here is a summary of it:

In an attempt to breathe life into the unique story of how we got our mascot, and give us strong traditions that we can be proud of, we are beginning a new pre-game ceremony. The details are still up for debate, but the original plan begins in the middle of Tech campus with the lighting of a torch, or torches. It will either be centennial plaza or the lady of the mist. The group, not sure who it will consist of, will then march across the campus and over the railroad/university park bridge. It will then make its way to the stadium where four columns, with cauldrons on top, will be lit. These columns are going to resemble those that mark the entrance to centennial plaza and around tech (except bigger) and will mark the entrance of the field on the South end. The football team will walk through these lit columns to get onto the field. The symbolism is that as we’re reviving the spirit of the bulldog that saved the five students from the burning fire back in 1899. When the football team comes on to the field through the columns with the fire, it symbolizes the bulldog’s courage, fearlessness, etc. of going back into the burning house. The fire will stay lit the entire game with the idea that as long as there is bulldog fire, there’s courage.

As I said, there are still a lot of things up in the air, but the school is definitely building the columns and the traditions committee met today and discussed the torches. This has been pushed very hard by Coach Dooley. Will let you know more when the committee meets again.

Champ Reckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud of Reckless Abandon's Avatar

Re: Tradition

i like it

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Alot!

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

I heard about this from the band contacts in the band, sounds awesome!!!

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I love it. Sounds just like the kind of thing we need.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaTech.Pike View Post
    . When the football team comes on to the field through the columns with the fire, it symbolizes the bulldog’s courage, fearlessness, etc. of going back into the burning house.
    This part gave me goosebumps, I heard it might be done the night before as a pep-rally.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

A+

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Sounds good to me. I would hope it would be more of a celebration type march (ie band playing)

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

A++++++

THIS SOUNDS AWESOME!

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Hell Yeah!
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Puppy LaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the earsLaTech.Pike seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    This part gave me goosebumps, I heard it might be done the night before as a pep-rally.
    What I had suggested for the night before, and more than likely could only be done before a big game like homecoming, was that the procession start the same, but end with a bonfire. The bonfire would be a basic frame of a house built by the student body or something like that...

...the original game day plan included the band, but they are tied up at the President's house before the game

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

freaking awesome!

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaTech.Pike View Post
    What I had suggested for the night before, and more than likely could only be done before a big game like homecoming, was that the procession start the same, but end with a bonfire. The bonfire would be a basic frame of a house built by the student body or something like that...

...the original game day plan included the band, but they are tied up at the President's house before the game
    Love the original idea, but I'm not wild about the bonfire, especially looking like the frame of a house. That would require too much explanation and be misunderstood by a casual observer. However, something like that for the Homecoming pep rally would be cool.

But, again, I love the idea as stated in your original post.

Varsity Bulldog big_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nicebig_crazy_jake is just really nice big_crazy_jake's Avatar

Now this is something I can get behind. It's original. It's something that's based on our history. Every fan, young and old, will be able to get something out of this. It's extremely moving. Unlike the "other" pre-game ritual discussed on the board recently.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

OK, this idea rocks!!!!! Keep 'em coming guys.....personally, this could be one of the best traditions in college sports if executed correctly...

+ Reply to Thread