+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homecoming 2007 Musings

Champ Tech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to behold Tech78's Avatar

Homecoming 2007 Musings

After just returning home from Ruston where I went for Tech's 2007 Homecoming activities (starting for me on Thursday evening), I thought it would be interesting for people to share their experiences and thoughts. Here are some of mine:

1) Attended the Dooley Radio Show at Pontchatoulas for the first time. Always great to be in a room full of Tech fans and soak up the atmosphere. Had good food and a good time.

2) Friday morning attended Larry James' presentation at the College of Business Century Tel Auditorium with a room full of business students (the public was invited and I was the "public"). Larry was the COB Alumnus of the Year and was on campus as their "Professor of the Day". He is the CEO of Net Near You and made a presentation that was inspiring, interesting, and on point for any of us. His main point to the students is that a Tech degree prepares you to compete with anyone from any other institution - hard to deny this based on his success!

3) Attended the annual Alumni Awards luncheon at the Tonk. I try to go to this every few years. I always think that if every graduate would attend just once, they would be avid Tech supporters forever more. The presentations are always good and inspiring and you really walk away with a strong feeling of pride about Tech and knowing that you are part of a great institution with thousands of others.

4) Visited around campus to check in with various hard-working Tech people I know. They are always glad you visited and they really appreciate that people take an interest in what they are doing - people don't just work for money...

5) Walked around Ruston on Friday to see all the Tech decorations on store windows. No doubt that Tech had something going on that weekend. Make time to visit Ruston downtown next time you make a game. Tech's bookstore was open from 9-5 on Saturday - thanks for that.

6) Saturday was sports day for me: made a little softball starting at 8 AM until walking over to the TAC for start of WBB practice. Walked in and there was Leon visiting with the players and later he watched practice from courtside. Good to have the "legend" on hand for the start of another campaign. MBB started at 11:00 so got to see all the new guys and watch Rupp in action - a new, exciting era has started.

7) Tailgated at the Cenla Champs tent next to The Mailman. Hey, how many get to say that when they go to Baton Rouge or any othe so-called big name venues???? Makes me know how special Tech is and what an opportunity to capitalize from our past as we continue to move forward!! Great food all around and the atmospheree was great. Sold some Tech blankets to benefit the Athletics Enhancement Endowment while visiting with everyone.

8) Watched the Dawgs whip the Aggies! Stayed to the end and sat in the parking lot afterwards listening to the post-game radio chat.

9) Thought about the next week - planning on going back to Ruston for the "Meet and Greet for MBB" on Tuesday, hoping for good attendance. Back again on Friday evening and will see the Boise game on Saturday.

That is enough even though I did leave out a lot. Tech is what we each make it. Go enjoy!

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Re: Homecoming 2007 Musings

I printed out the list of Homecoming activities on Saturday and my parents and I had a great time picking out what to do:

1) Our favorite thing (excepting the win in the football game of course) was the Open House at the new Biomedical Engineering Building. It was great seeing how that program has developed and the great new facilities. A lot of the professors were there telling about their work. It was very impressive!

2) We checked out the Tech Dairy Store and sampled some of their products. My first two years of life were spent in the old Vetville apartments across the street. That brought out some of Daddy's Tech memories of adventures with friends while they lived there. That seemed to be a common theme for the day - and one I always enjoy.

3) We went to Dowling's for lunch. I'd heard about it so much here but hadn't made it yet....sorta forgot we were having barbque at the alumni tailgate later, but we enjoyed it.

4) Enjoyed purchasing one of those blankets at the Cenla tailgate to support the Athletic Enhancements Endowment and visiting with folks there a while.

5) Bought out the bookstore - that was great to have such a great selection.

6) Gave directions to quite a few "golden century" - the 50 year graduates crowd. Decided I want to be a regular around Tech events for lots of years to come so I'll never have to ask directions to the Student Center when I get to be one of those old gals!

7) It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed just driving around hearing stories with my parents about things that happened at different buildings. Hopefully some day I'll get the joy sharing that experience with Cal&Ken's children.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    I printed out the list of Homecoming activities on Saturday and my parents and I had a great time picking out what to do:

1) Our favorite thing (excepting the win in the football game of course) was the Open House at the new Biomedical Engineering Building. It was great seeing how that program has developed and the great new facilities. A lot of the professors were there telling about their work. It was very impressive!

2) We checked out the Tech Dairy Store and sampled some of their products. My first two years of life were spent in the old Vetville apartments across the street. That brought out some of Daddy's Tech memories of adventures with friends while they lived there. That seemed to be a common theme for the day - and one I always enjoy.

3) We went to Dowling's for lunch. I'd heard about it so much here but hadn't made it yet....sorta forgot we were having barbque at the alumni tailgate later, but we enjoyed it.

4) Enjoyed purchasing one of those blankets at the Cenla tailgate to support the Athletic Enhancements Endowment and visiting with folks there a while.

5) Bought out the bookstore - that was great to have such a great selection.

6) Gave directions to quite a few "golden century" - the 50 year graduates crowd. Decided I want to be a regular around Tech events for lots of years to come so I'll never have to ask directions to the Student Center when I get to be one of those old gals!

7) It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed just driving around hearing stories with my parents about things that happened at different buildings. Hopefully some day I'll get the joy sharing that experience with Cal&Ken's children.
    Sounds like a great day. Regarding #2, Tech is shutting down the last of the Vetville apartments, and they apparently have no plan to offer married student housing. I will be among the last tenants. It's too bad, though; it's pretty much the best deal in Ruston.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Sounds like a great day. Regarding #2, Tech is shutting down the last of the Vetville apartments, and they apparently have no plan to offer married student housing. I will be among the last tenants. It's too bad, though; it's pretty much the best deal in Ruston.
    Momma and Daddy's rent was $20/month and they even mowed their yard for them. The ones they stayed in aren't even apartments any more. They were asking me about what Tech did for married student housing now, so I'm glad to hear the update - never have heard. Are they tearing those apartments down for some new thing?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    Momma and Daddy's rent was $20/month and they even mowed their yard for them. The ones they stayed in aren't even apartments any more. They were asking me about what Tech did for married student housing now, so I'm glad to hear the update - never have heard. Are they tearing those apartments down for some new thing?
    I don't know what they'll do with our buildings. I haven't heard about anything to be built here, but who knows. I've been told they were built in the 40s, and that seems about right. Rent is now $318, but includes gas and water (and they still mow the grass, as well as give us light bulbs and batteries for the smoke detector). Not a bad deal, and ours is fixed up fairly well.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Well, I got really, really, ridiculously hammered at the Dawg House Friday night. A trip around the world (that's a tallboy from every tap in the joint) and a Claude's burger...FANTASTIC.

Made for a pretty rough Saturday morning, though. But a Dawgs win made up for it.

+ Reply to Thread