+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Isn't there an election to determine the next governor of Louisiana on October 20th?

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Re: Isn't there an election to determine the next governor of Louisiana on October 20

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    hmmm... went to the same souce... didn't see the amendment. then again, wans't looking for an amendment, was looking at the bill. That's what is being understood as not passing.
    You can go here for the bill: http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdqu...:@@@L&summ2=m&

Then go down to All Actions.

5/26/2005 12:32pm:H.AMDT.216 Amendment (A001) offered by Mr. Melancon. (consideration: CR H4096-4097, H4111-4112; text: CR H4096)
    Amendment sought to increase funding for various programs under the Department of Veterans Affairs by $53 million.

5/26/2005 2:30pm:
    H.AMDT.216 On agreeing to the Melancon amendment (A001) Failed by recorded vote: 213 - 214 (Roll no. 224).

If Georges said Jindal was the deciding vote on refusing to give veterans an extra $53mil, then I would think it's pretty clear he's talking about the Amendment that was trying to get an extra $53mi...not the whole bill.

So, contrary to your original post, Georges didnt lie. Someone just looked at the wrong thing and assumed he did.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Isn't there an election to determine the next governor of Louisiana on October 20

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    You can go here for the bill: http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdqu...:@@@L&summ2=m&

Then go down to All Actions.

5/26/2005 12:32pm:H.AMDT.216 Amendment (A001) offered by Mr. Melancon. (consideration: CR H4096-4097, H4111-4112; text: CR H4096)
    Amendment sought to increase funding for various programs under the Department of Veterans Affairs by $53 million.5/26/2005 2:30pm:H.AMDT.216 On agreeing to the Melancon amendment (A001) Failed by recorded vote: 213 - 214 (Roll no. 224).If Georges said Jindal was the deciding vote on refusing to give veterans an extra $53mil, then I would think it's pretty clear he's talking about the Amendment that was trying to get an extra $53mi...not the whole bill.

So, contrary to your original post, Georges didnt lie. Someone just looked at the wrong thing and assumed he did.
    Hey DB2. Happy Birthday.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Hey DB2. Happy Birthday.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

If Georges said Jindal was the deciding vote on refusing to give veterans an extra $53mil, then I would think it's pretty clear he's talking about the Amendment that was trying to get an extra $53mi...not the whole bill.
    I was reading something my dad recieved from Georges' camp and that's what it said. That's where I saw it... Amendments weren't mentioned, said the bill failed. Doesn't matter now I guess.

I was just wondering, because I know people in the Georges camp and they wouldnt put out something that was a blatant lie like that, so I was interested in seeing where the info was coming from.

I'm still undecided between Jindal and Georges. And I only have 3 more days to decide.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

I was just wondering, because I know people in the Georges camp and they wouldnt put out something that was a blatant lie like that, so I was interested in seeing where the info was coming from.

I'm still undecided between Jindal and Georges. And I only have 3 more days to decide.
    Georges seems less likely to allow Tech to succeed.

Here is a question posed to both Georges and Jindal:

Higher Education: Other states provide significantly more funding to their “flagship” universities than Louisiana, recognizing that high-level research, training, and the influx of talented faculty and students contribute to economic growth. LSU is the state’s only top-level doctoral and research institution as labeled by national classification systems and, thus, is our flagship. Do you support additional funding to make LSU competitive with peer institutions? If so, how would you fund it and over what period of time?

Georges:

LSU is the pride of Louisiana. From academic research to performance on the football field, Louisiana’s “flagship” University provides superior education and a remarkable collegiate experience. For far too long, the educational system in Louisiana, from pre-K to Higher Education, has been inadequately funded. Under my administration, LSU will receive the necessary resources, grants, appropriations, and governmental attention necessary to compete with other flagship institutions within the Southeast and across the United States.

Here is what Jindal said:

As a nationally-competitive university, LSU could generate more than $100 million more per year in federal research grants, keep more of our graduating high school seniors here in Louisiana, attract venture capital, and create thousands of jobs through technology transfer and business research and development investments. Success stories around the country like the pharmaceutical industry in New Jersey, software and biotechnology in Silicon Valley, investment banking in New York City, and medical devices in Boston are directly linked to the nationally-competitive academic research departments at nearby institutions. We can promote the same success here in Louisiana by prioritizing higher education investments to target academic disciplines important to existing industry sectors, promoting research partnerships between LSU and the business community, upgrading facilities, stimulating technology transfer, and enhancing the focus on graduate studies.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Talked to Bobby this morning when he came to Washington Parish Free Fair. He is pulling out all of the stops. He wants to end this now. A majority vote in the primary would be great for Louisiana.

HOWEVER,

Of the last 8 Advocates, I think 5 had a negative article about Jindal on the front page. My Times Picayune has been very fair, but the Advocate has been vicious. The same could be said for 870AM. Why? Well a victory in the primary would mean millions of dollars of advertising revenue lost. It's shameful. The press is trying to manipulate the vote so that it can profit.

Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    Georges seems less likely to allow Tech to succeed.

Here is a question posed to both Georges and Jindal:

Higher Education: Other states provide significantly more funding to their “flagship” universities than Louisiana, recognizing that high-level research, training, and the influx of talented faculty and students contribute to economic growth. LSU is the state’s only top-level doctoral and research institution as labeled by national classification systems and, thus, is our flagship. Do you support additional funding to make LSU competitive with peer institutions? If so, how would you fund it and over what period of time?

Georges:

LSU is the pride of Louisiana. From academic research to performance on the football field, Louisiana’s “flagship” University provides superior education and a remarkable collegiate experience. For far too long, the educational system in Louisiana, from pre-K to Higher Education, has been inadequately funded. Under my administration, LSU will receive the necessary resources, grants, appropriations, and governmental attention necessary to compete with other flagship institutions within the Southeast and across the United States.

Here is what Jindal said:

As a nationally-competitive university, LSU could generate more than $100 million more per year in federal research grants, keep more of our graduating high school seniors here in Louisiana, attract venture capital, and create thousands of jobs through technology transfer and business research and development investments. Success stories around the country like the pharmaceutical industry in New Jersey, software and biotechnology in Silicon Valley, investment banking in New York City, and medical devices in Boston are directly linked to the nationally-competitive academic research departments at nearby institutions. We can promote the same success here in Louisiana by prioritizing higher education investments to target academic disciplines important to existing industry sectors, promoting research partnerships between LSU and the business community, upgrading facilities, stimulating technology transfer, and enhancing the focus on graduate studies.
    In terms of overall message, they both seem to say to me "I'll give LSU money"... I didnt see either of them say they would give LaTech any more or less than we presently receive.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

In terms of overall message, they both seem to say to me "I'll give LSU money"... I didnt see either of them say they would give LaTech any more or less than we presently receive.
    http://www.cabl.org/Governor.aspx

C3. Economy: Many other states have grown new types of jobs by supporting high-quality research and development, either through universities, private investments or partnerships in areas such as information technology, biomedical research, applied technology, etc. What do you see as Louisiana’s strengths in these areas and in what ways, if any, do you think state government should support their growth?

Jindal:
    A recent study by the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF) shows that innovative capacity derived through universities, research and development investments, scientists and engineers, and entrepreneurial drive is the key to success in the new economy. That same study ranks Louisiana in the bottom five among states in information technology professionals, workforce education, number of scientists and engineers, venture capital attracted, and high tech jobs. Louisiana must focus investments in high caliber university research and specialized community and technical college programs to target regional industry sectors. For instance, while shipbuilding and arts/entertainment are some of the identified sectors in the New Orleans area, petrochemical and refining is a focus in Southwest Louisiana. Strong research departments such as chemical engineering at LSU, computer science at UL-Lafayette, and micro manufacturing at Louisiana Tech should be expanded to develop “innovation corridors” in each region of the state. Considering that nationwide, just under two-thirds of all research and development funding is provided by business and industry, we must also stimulate private sector investment by expanding the research and development tax credit for companies that partner with higher education for research and expand university technology transfer and commercialization programs. Additionally, we must better utilize assets such as the charity hospital system, the primate research center and Pennington Biomedical Research Center by better pursing federal research dollars and stimulating private investment.

Georges:

Louisiana’s topography and demographics provide an excellent opportunity for quality research and development. In the realm of technology, Louisiana now has LITE (Louisiana Immersive Technologies Enterprise), a state-of-the-art resource center with the world’s first six-sided, digital virtual reality cube and the world’s largest digital 3-D auditorium. Furthermore, the LSU Health Science Center (s) provide an unparalleled opportunity for medical students and other health professionals to research and treat rare cases while learning to perform under pressure with a unique patient population. Louisiana’s government should be a catalyst for growth in the research and development field, and we should double the state grant for biomedical research to attract and retain talent. By providing the necessary appropriations to Universities, grants to partnerships, and resources to private institutions, Louisiana can consistently provide the setting for quality research in the Southeast.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

That's not the way I take it, DB. I take it as his saying that instead of giving LSU more money, they can prioritize the money they get now to put it to its maximum use by attracting joint ventures with local industries that could in turn increase LSUs revenue.

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

http://www.cabl.org/Governor.aspx
    Jindal:
    ...Strong research departments such as chemical engineering at LSU...

I hope he is kidding. Does he have any idea how BADLY that program is viewed by everyone else? UT, Georgia Tech, NC State, TAMU, Florida... those are the top "ChemE" graduate/research programs in the South. Shoot, Rice and Auburn have better ChemE research programs than LSU.

FWIW, Tech can't be included in that list because it does not offer advanced degrees in Chemical Engineering -- it offers a general Ph.D. in Engineering, where you can do directed research in Chem Engineering.. not quite the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    I hope he is kidding. Does he have any idea how BADLY that program is viewed by everyone else? UT, Georgia Tech, NC State, TAMU, Florida... those are the top "ChemE" graduate/research programs in the South. Shoot, Rice and Auburn have better ChemE research programs than LSU.

FWIW, Tech can't be included in that list because it does not offer advanced degrees in Chemical Engineering -- it offers a general Ph.D. in Engineering, where you can do directed research in Chem Engineering.. not quite the same thing.
    Does LSU (main campus) have a strong research department in any area?

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

I don't know. I'd assume that they have serviceable programs in general sciences (Chemistry, Biology, etc.). Maybe they have some specific engineering programs of note, but none to my knowledge. But it is absolutely ridiculous to me that he would highlight the chemical engineering research program as an accomplishment. I think that the USM or SMU chemistry programs (not to mention the Tech Ph.D. track) are probably better investments for a chemical engineer looking for a research-oriented degree than the chemical engineering graduate program at lspoo.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

MY department (computer science) has produced excellent research.

My major professor, Dr. Doris Carver is a former President of IEEE, fellow of AAAS, the list goes on...

Dr. Peter Chen is on faculty. He created the ER diagram and is considered one of the top 20 or so computer scientists in the world and his papers are among the top 3 most cited.

Thomas Sterling is a pioneer of super computing and is the creator of the Beowulf Cluster.

These are just three of the most glaring examples. The quality of research coming out of my college (basic sciences) is outstanding.

That being said, there is no PhD in computer science at Tech, so the level of research I was involved with there was not as high. However, the opportunities for undergraduates is the best I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    Maybe they have some specific engineering programs of note, but none to my knowledge.
    I believe their petroleum engineering program is great. Maybe he had the two mixed up...

+ Reply to Thread