+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ULMNLU JURY

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: ULMNLU JURY

We finished the trial today. The jury was a 10-2 decision in one direction. Me, and of all people, the ulm guy were the lone dissenters.

This was a divorce case with an abusive husband. Both he and the wife had no money or assets. She wanted spouse support. Since both were disabled and she was the only one working, it didn't fly with 10 members of the jury. I believe that the husband was faking disability, though. He had a very powerful "high dollar" lawyer paid for by his parents. She had a volunteer lawyer that does work for the women's crisis shelter here. She had Muscular Distrophy and he needed knee replacement (it is great to be able to finally talk about the case).

It was all a mess and I wouldn't be able to sleep, if I had gone the way of the majority of that jury. Funny how I found a fellow friend in the ulm guy.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    We finished the trial today. The jury was a 10-2 decision in one direction. Me, and of all people, the ulm guy were the lone dissenters.

This was a divorce case with an abusive husband. Both he and the wife had no money or assets. She wanted spouse support. Since both were disabled and she was the only one working, it didn't fly with 10 members of the jury. I believe that the husband was faking disability, though. He had a very powerful "high dollar" lawyer paid for by his parents. She had a volunteer lawyer that does work for the women's crisis shelter here. She had Muscular Distrophy and he needed knee replacement (it is great to be able to finally talk about the case).

It was all a mess and I wouldn't be able to sleep, if I had gone the way of the majority of that jury. Funny how I found a fellow friend in the ulm guy.
    I really AM jealous! You actually got to serve on a jury! Knee replacements are a piece of cake. Its been 2 months and I graduated from therapy today. I never missed a check - and was back at work in 2 weeks.

I'd never want to be a juror on a hideous murder/rape/incest type thing, but definitely wouldn't hesitate otherwise. Actually, I'd hate to have the unpleasantness of being on a horrific trial, but wouldn't be unwilling to serve. I got a taste of what you guys were talking about when a friend of a friend served on the Derrick Todd Lee trial here in Baton Rouge. She was a Tech grad and gave us a 3 hour blow by blow of the jury experience - sequestered and everything. There were definitely things I'd have rather not heard - certainly the jurors have no choice but to listen.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    I really AM jealous! You actually got to serve on a jury! Knee replacements are a piece of cake. Its been 2 months and I graduated from therapy today. I never missed a check - and was back at work in 2 weeks.

I'd never want to be a juror on a hideous murder/rape/incest type thing, but definitely wouldn't hesitate otherwise. Actually, I'd hate to have the unpleasantness of being on a horrific trial, but wouldn't be unwilling to serve. I got a taste of what you guys were talking about when a friend of a friend served on the Derrick Todd Lee trial here in Baton Rouge. She was a Tech grad and gave us a 3 hour blow by blow of the jury experience - sequestered and everything. There were definitely things I'd have rather not heard - certainly the jurors have no choice but to listen.
    It is always interesting. Of course, in my line of work, I am used to hard luck stories. The problem is that I am pure administration now and don't do any direct service. This was, actually, a welcome break from work.

At work, I am consolidating many of the administrative functions of 8 large Mental Health/Mental Retardation agencies. We cover 43 counties. Each one is a completely separate agency. Talk about people not liking me. We are doing something very special, though, and it will be a model for others to follow. I have found a LOT of inefficiencies and opportunities for cost efficiencies. This model is unheard of among agencies like this, but it makes me a VERY unpopular guy across Texas with the employees. Anyway, I know this is off topic, but this sure was a good break. Makes me REALLY miss direct service.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Just a taste of some of the TERRIBLE things in S'port that happen that I have to hear and see pictures of.
    I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Its shocking.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Markay, be careful. You may get a federal jury summons...to appear in New Orleans or Lafayette. They don't care if you live an hour or so away. They also don't mind keeping you on call for months. I was lucky and didn't have to show up in Sheveport, but I've talked to people who said it was horrible.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

I have served on Federal Jury Duty twice. At least the pay is better.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Its shocking.
    I have nothing but respect for your family members. I would not last 2 weeks in their jobs.

+ Reply to Thread