+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii and the BCS???

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Hawaii and the BCS???

If Hawaii winning out puts them into a $14 million BCS bowl and thereby helps the WAC and Tech, then all I can say is GO Warriors! (gag!)

But! I doubt it will happen. Both Boazy and Washington will beat them, I think, especially Boazy. BSU has the type of team, a winning mentality, to get it done on the island. Not to mention that Boise State is just simply a better football team than Hawaii.

But, we'll see....

Anyway, what's this??? We are actually discussing another WAC team qualifying for a BCS bowl. Someone remind me again why CUSA (or the Belch ) is better for Tech!

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

I think Hawaii MIGHT lose three of their last four and end up third in the WAC. The schedule favors them because all of their difficult games remaining are on the island, but I don't see Boise or Fresno going there and not playing their "A" game.

I also think that if we played them today (at home) we'd beat them, because we're better now than we were at the beginning of the season (gosh, how long has it been since we could say that?) and they are about the same.

Varsity Bulldog BrettStah42 has turned a few heads around hereBrettStah42 has turned a few heads around hereBrettStah42 has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by bjude64 View Post
    People can say that computers objectively select the best teams in the nation, but that's not totally true. The AP and coaches' polls are used in that formula, so those teams blessed with unearned preseason rankings are still a leg up on other teams. We all should just know what we're dealing with here.
    The computers don't have Hawaii ranked in the top 25 (at least as of last week's rankings - this week's rankings come out later today), while the human polls have them at #14.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Hawai'i is #11 in the new USA Today poll. And Boise State is #22.

The Colley Matrix site has a hypothetical ranking page to add or delete games. Hawai'i was at #29 on that computer before this week with teams ranked #24-28 all losing this week. Plugging in 5 Hawai'i wins including last night would put Hawai'i #9 holding the rest of the rankings the same. In that same ranking Boise State was #20 already last week. Plugging in the Broncos running the table would put them at #14.
    Last edited by RealityCheck; 10-28-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Big Dog barkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    I think Hawaii MIGHT lose three of their last four and end up third in the WAC. The schedule favors them because all of their difficult games remaining are on the island, but I don't see Boise or Fresno going there and not playing their "A" game.

I also think that if we played them today (at home) we'd beat them, because we're better now than we were at the beginning of the season (gosh, how long has it been since we could say that?) and they are about the same.

I tend to agree. The defense is pathetic and the offense is way way overrated.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Hawai'i is #10 in the new Harris Poll, and Boise State also comes in at #22 in that one.

Big Dog barkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebarkinloud Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Hawai'i is #10 in the new Harris Poll, and Boise State also comes in at #22 in that one.

Hopefully, they are not ranked ahead of Connecticut, they are much more deserving.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barkinloud View Post
    Hopefully, they are not ranked ahead of Connecticut, they are much more deserving.
    Why?, B/c of their impressive out of conference wins against the NCAA heavyweights that are Maine and Temple?

Except for 7 blind zebras, Connecticut lost to Louisville. The Huskies are greatly overranked at 19 and 20 in the human polls.

Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    Why?, B/c of their impressive out of conference wins against the NCAA heavyweights that are Maine and Temple?

Maine and Temple would beat the hell out of Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern. But to answer your question, no. They deserve to be ranked ahead of Hawaii because they just beat the #10 BCS school in the nation South Florida. That's more than Hawaii has done or will ever do this season.

I am obviously not alone in my assesment of Hawaii. The link below talks about what'll happen if all the teams currently ranked where they are win out. Hawaii could possibly be matched up with LSU. (Disaster city) That match up wouldn't even be fair to LSU as they would not get a chance to show what they can really do against a top notched opponent, much like last year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7383846

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

AH HA, there's the kink.... your a LSU fan. Enough said.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Maine and Temple would beat the hell out of Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern. But to answer your question, no. They deserve to be ranked ahead of Hawaii because they just beat the #10 BCS school in the nation South Florida. That's more than Hawaii has done or will ever do this season.

I am obviously not alone in my assesment of Hawaii. The link below talks about what'll happen if all the teams currently ranked where they are win out. Hawaii could possibly be matched up with LSU. (Disaster city) That match up wouldn't even be fair to LSU as they would not get a chance to show what they can really do against a top notched opponent, much like last year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7383846
    Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    AH HA, there's the kink.... your a LSU fan. Enough said.
    Yep...didn't take us long to figure that one out.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bjude64 View Post
    We all know the only way to decide who's best is to have the teams play each other in a playoff format. But that is not what college football is interested in.
    Whether or not you use a playoff system or a bowl system, you are going to need a selection process. The playoff system has plenty of its own problems. Auburn went undefeated by playing a rather weak out of conference schedule. I can't help but notice that you did not mention that Boise was also undefeated that year, don't you feel that they deserved a shot at the national championship? What about Utah? There are 11 Div1A conferences in college football (plus some independants). A twelve team playoff would take at least four additional weeks. Perhaps you'd rather eliminate the nonconference games from scheduling?

The inclusion of the coaches' poll helps keep margin of victory a consideration while unfortunately negating some of the strength of schedule. Which part of the coaches' poll do you disagree with?

The current system is in need of adjustment, but moving to a playoff doesn't solve the problems you've addressed. A playoff system would only mean big money schools deciding the NC differently than they do now. Setting up an unbiased computer with an equation reached by consensus seems to be to be the most fair method because no matter how many teams you consider for the NC, there will always been that many plus one.

On a side note, you might consider avoiding the phrase "we all know" when expressing your opinion. It is a very high sign of arrogance to suggest that your opinion is the only one that is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Yep...didn't take us long to figure that one out.

Obviously you guys did not read the article. I don't know how you figure I'm an LSU fan, but if you had read the article, it says that Hawaii could potentially be matche up with LSU. We all know what would happen in that case. As for LSU, I have no opinion one way or the other about that school.

+ Reply to Thread