+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A little help from knowledgeable military folks, please.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

A little help from knowledgeable military folks, please.

I have an unusual request. Let me first start by explaining the situation then see if one or some of our veterans or active military can direct me on what I can do, if anything. My dad was an aviator in the Marines in, I think, the mid to late 50's. It was when the Marines started the aviation program. He dropped out of college to join up to be an aviator. Anyway, he got his flight training in, I think, Pensacola. He had his flight log book for years, but he let some friends of mine borrow it for a Social Studies fair project, and we never saw it again. What I was wondering, would there be a way for me to find his flight records and possibly get a copy for him? Also, I'm wondering if there would be a way for me to find out what service patches he had on his flight jacket and get him a new one with the patches he had on it. His got ruined when he and my Mom were first married and their car caught on fire and he had to use it to put the fire out. I think he would really love having a copy of the flight records or possible another log book as I know he's mentioned his log book a couple of times. Even though it's not my fault, I still feel somewhat responsible for my friends having lost his log book. I don't even think the base where he was in Pensacola is functioning anymore.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Re: A little help from knowledgeable military folks, please.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Try this link. You can request copies of any unclassified document they have about him. I don't know if it will include much detail about his flights, but it will definitely let you know what patches, medals, etc., he earned in his career. We looked into this for my grandfather, but unfortunately much of his WWII records were destroyed in a fire at the archives.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: A little help from knowledgeable military folks, please.

Dirty -

Holler at me -

My middle brother is a Lt Col in the Marines with the JAG office - he may not be able to help you directly, but I think he can put you in the RIGHT place to start asking the right questions so that you don't start off at a dead end -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread