+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new car

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Re: Looking for a new car

And go to kbb.com and look at all those extras. Extras don't always raise the price. The condition and the mileage make the huge difference on used cars. And do get those carfax reports. You will never be sorry for doing that. Most used car places offer them for free when you are looking at cars on their websites. I just bought my son a 1999 grand cherokee - he killed his 1993 Trooper...i researched until I almost went crazy but it's oh so worth it ultimately.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Don't buy a new car and take the butt-raping you will get in depreciation. Buy a one to four year old car instead. I have run the numbers on this many times before, and in terms of per-year cost, you have to keep a new car minimum 10-12 years to even get close to the per-year cost of buying a 2-4 year old car. I know guys with over 10 million in net worth who have never bought a brand new car. Never having new car payments was one reason they were worth that much. If you want to turn $30K into $12K in only 4 short years, go buy a new car!

That being said, get an RSX. My wife has an RSX Type-S, and we both love it. Quick, gets good gas mileage, handles like you can not believe, can hold a surprising amount of stuff. Great car all around, and it is a Honda, so it will last forever. Only down side is you have to rev the bejezzus out of it to get decent power, but then again that can be part of the fun.

I have not driven one, but have heard good things about the Mazdaspeed 3.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Doc, glad you made it through the wreck. I hope to see you at the ULL game on the 16th. I know very little about cars. I haven't bought a "new" car in over 20 years. I buy slightly used cars and keep them until they are hauled off by the wrecker.

I started to post something about you needing to start thinking about making a will leaving everything to me, but I decided against that. After all, you would probably leave all your worldly possessions to TECH instead of me. Good choice if you did.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Call BS!
    Adding "things" to a car is like adding a pool to a house. It does not raise the value. Plus you would need original receipts for the "things" added to the vehical to even be considered to be covered by your insurance company. Plus he bought those things new. You are trying to buy them used. Consider what it would cost to add these USED items to another car.

And one last thing. Blue Book is what it would be worth in perfet (which doesn't exist) condition. The actual "worth" will be determinded by the loan value. If you pay more than loan value you will automatically loose value on the car once the papers are signed. It's like the drop in value when you buy a new vehical.

FYI, no dealer will ever pay loan value for a used car. So if someone says "I can get that much from the dealer", and your offer is loan value, they are lying.
    In my (limited) experience, add-ons to cars NEVER increase the value (at least not in terms of reliability), just like JAB said. Also, if he has been playing shade-tree mechanic with the thing that is a major red flag for me.

Every used car is something of a gamble, but somebody who has taken care of their car--and has detailed service records to back it up--is usually where you want to go.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Your golfing foursome is concerned . . . was your driver in the trunk? Did it survive the pillage?

PS-We're glad you're okay:icon_wink:.
    In fact, that's how TDF convinced me to go to the ER. He said that if my back was injured, it could really hurt my golf swing. Scared the bejesus out of me!! :icon_wink:

Both Driver's are fine. The most important driver was in the trunk and the other driver was hit on the driver's side door.

All sounds like good advice. The dealer from Dallas e-mailed me back and also forwarded me the Carfax report on the RSX. It looks good... no negative reports.

Oh and JAB, how do you find out the loan value of this one??

Puppy linds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the earslinds_Marie seems to have something between the ears linds_Marie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    All sounds like good advice. The dealer from Dallas e-mailed me back and also forwarded me the Carfax report on the RSX. It looks good... no negative reports.

oOoOoOo.. that one looks perrrty...I'm glad your ok too

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Get a Nissan Titan.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    The main thing to remember is don't drive in front of trucks, you're a speed bump to them
    Gee, thanks for telling me this NOW!!! You're 5 days late.

I also love Honda's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Be a man -

Buy a TRUCK -

Come see John Synco up at Synco Motors here in Homer - he is a proud supporter of Tech Athletics as evidenced by his ads on radio network
    Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    Just man up and get one of these (get the diesel):

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG DUDE View Post
    Get a Nissan Titan.
    Sorry guys. I prefer to not have to fill up the 20 gallon tank every 35 miles. :icon_wink:

I will be calling Mr. Synco though.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

My truck makes it from Monroe to Ft. Worth on one tank (30 gallon tank, but still one tank). It also doesn't hurt that my company pays for my gas. I actually bought a new 07 Silverado for less than what I could get a used one for. I bought a stripped down model, with rubber floors, and no power anything. It's a work truck, and I put a ton of miles on it, but it's still worth more than what I owe on it. If you want a truck (or Chevy), look at Ryan in Monroe. Nobody could touch their price, and I talked to 18 dealerships. We bought my wife's car there too, for less than the trade in value. The key is to be prepared, and let them know that you are prepared.

They have so many people come in off the street and test drive every car on the lot, spending an hour or two on them, only to find out that they can't get a loan. It makes it so much easier if you can walk in and out in 30 minutes and have the deal done.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

In fact, that's how TDF convinced me to go to the ER. He said that if my back was injured, it could really hurt my golf swing.
    Or it might straighten it out for you!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I can't wait to see your big ass trying to get in and out of that thing. If the wreck didn't put your back out, that surely will.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

So .. . what you're saying is this vehicle can get from Bossier to Squire Creek without you running out of gas in Arcadia?????
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    So .. . what you're saying is this vehicle can get from Bossier to Squire Creek without you running out of gas in Arcadia?????
    Hell, I was going to ask him if he RAN OUT OF GAS before the truck plowed into him?
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I contact 3 or 4 places by EMAIL. I tell them to give me their best price. Most dealerships have an Internet Sales force now. It is much easier to start going back and forth with a price war by email. They can't trap you in their sales office. Don't let them call you until you get the price down to close to what you want.

As for the Civic Hybrid, I drove one of those before I got my Prius. After driving both, I can assure you that you need to check out the Prius. I have had mine for a year now and that is usually about the time that I get itchy for another car - not this time. I still love this car and know that it was a great buy.
    We got our 2007 Toyota Prius a couple of months ago and absolutely love it...more spacious than what it appears on the outside...obviously great gas mileage (ours is getting a little over 50 mpg)...drives great (even down Tech Drive)...we love everything about it...

A great investment and got a great deal on it as well from the local Ronnie Ward...

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupporter11 View Post
    We got our 2007 Toyota Prius a couple of months ago and absolutely love it...more spacious than what it appears on the outside...obviously great gas mileage (ours is getting a little over 50 mpg)...drives great (even down Tech Drive)...we love everything about it...

A great investment and got a great deal on it as well from the local Ronnie Ward...
    Once you drive one, it is hard to imagine going back, isn't it? You are right, people are surprised at how much room it has inside. I absolutely love it. Feel like I am sitting in a computer driving.

I get 53 in town and about 48 on the long highway stretches.

+ Reply to Thread