+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Troop Surge Is Working

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Troop Surge Is Working

No matter what your thoughts on the war, the below has to make even you ultra liberals feel better on this Veterans Day weekend.

Iraqi PM sees decline in Baghdad attacks

Stats support al-Maliki's view that sectarian violence is ending

BAGHDAD - Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Sunday suicide attacks and other bombings in the Iraqi capital have dropped dramatically since last year's high, calling it a sign of the end of sectarian violence. A top U.S. general here said he believes the drop is sustainable, as Iraqis turn away from extremists.
    Al-Maliki said "terrorist acts" including car bombings and other spectacular, al-Qaida-style attacks dropped by 77 percent. He called it a sign that Sunni-Shiite violence was nearly gone from Baghdad.
    "We are all realizing now that what Baghdad was seeing every day — dead bodies in the streets and morgues — is ebbing remarkably," al-Maliki told reporters at his office in the U.S.-guarded Green Zone.

"This is an indication that sectarianism intended as a gate of evil and fire in Iraq is now closed," he said.
    Before the arrival of nearly 30,000 U.S. reinforcements this past spring, explosions shook Baghdad daily — sometimes hourly. The whiz of mortar and rocket fire crisscrossing the Tigris River was frequent. And the pop-pop of gunfire beat out a constant, somber rhythm of killing.

Click for related content
    U.S. military releases 9 Iranians held in Iraq

Now the sounds of warfare are rare. American troops have set up small outposts in some of the capital's most dangerous enclaves. Locals previously lukewarm to the presence of U.S. soldiers patrol alongside them. And a historic lane on the eastern banks of the Tigris is set to reopen later this year, lined with seafood restaurants and an art gallery.
    Al-Maliki's assessment Sunday matched those of U.S. military officials, and is borne out by Associated Press figures that show a sharp drop in the number of U.S. and Iraqi deaths in the past few months. The number of Iraqi civilians who meet violent deaths dropped from at least 1,023 in September to at least 905 in October, according to an AP count.
    The number of American military deaths fell from 65 to at least 39 over the same period.
    Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, commander of U.S. forces south of the capital, said Sunday he believed the decrease would hold, because of what he called a "groundswell" of support from regular Iraqis.
    "If we didn't have so many people coming forward to help, I'd think this is a flash in the pan. But that's just not the case," Lynch told a small group of reporters over lunch in the Green Zone.
    Troop surge credited
    He attributed the sharp drop in attacks to the American troop buildup, the setup of small outposts at the heart of Iraqi communities, and help from locals fed up with al-Qaida and other extremists.

For more click here
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21739712/

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Re: Troop Surge Is Working

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    No matter what your thoughts on the war, the below has to make even you ultra liberals feel better on this Veterans Day weekend.

I am delighted to know that keeping an additional 30,000 troops in Iraq can result in a drop the number of "deaths by terrorism" by 100 Iraqis. I guess we should bring in 300k troops, so we can bring that number down to zero? :icon_wink:

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

This is huge news today! Of course it's still not being reported by CNN. I guess Ted Turner and his cronies he left behind and TIME haven't approved it yet.

U.S. Enlists Sadr Forces
    Against Iran-Fed Groups

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310697,00.html

U.S. pulling 3,000 troops from Iraq's Diyala province

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The U.S. military is sending 3,000 soldiers home from Diyala province, the second large unit to leave Iraq as troop levels are cut after a 30,000-strong "surge" earlier this year.

U.S. and Iraqi officials say the troop "surge", more efficient Iraqi security forces and the use of neighborhood patrols have helped bring about sharp falls in U.S. military and Iraqi civilian casualties in the past two months.
    Kageleiry said the overall number of troops in Diyala, where violence spiked when al Qaeda fighters were driven out of western Anbar province earlier this year, would not decrease. Continued...

http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...32414220071113

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Well, that's great to know, I guess. My question is, how do you propose that we pay the $3.5 trillion for this war? Borrow more money from Mexico???

Even one death is too many but this is still an eye opener.

Military Deaths Decline, Despite War
    Government report shows more active military personnel died in 2 'peace' years in '80s than last 2 years of Iraq war.

The Democrats' Surge Problem
    Case study: Obama on Meet the Press.
    by William Kristol
    11/12/2007 12:00:00 AM

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...4/348kdiod.asp

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

And then, Tyler......
    There was THE NEWS TODAY......
    That throughout the ENTIRE southern sector of Iraq (once under British control) there has been a 90% decrease in ALL SECTARIAN VIOLENCE...... In the wake of the stratigic British stand down, with nary a "surge" soldier in sight, and NOT ONE additional DEAD FOREVER British soldier to be mourned by his English kith and kin.

With your unique ability to find all pertinent Iraqi War "hyperlinks"......
    May I asume that you will ferret out the complete DETAILS of this most interesting LIMEY lusus naturae reality v. little george's American SURGE stupidity......
    And then offer this dawg board EVERY sincere editorial comment you deem nesessary...... To rationally EXPLAIN why MORE DEATH and MORE DEBT should somehow be patriotically preferred to FEWER DEAD and LESS DEBT!

I await every line of computerized blue letters you are able to discover/offer.

But mostly......
    I await every ORIGINAL thought and word that your personal little grey cells may SPARK, as your honest/original "editorial" efforts next reach for any logical reason to believe that either little george or the Tooth Fairy have any raison d'etre in any adult mind. :icon_wink:
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    And then, Tyler......
    That throughout the ENTIRE southern sector of Iraq (once under British control) there has been a 90% decrease in ALL SECTARIAN VIOLENCE...... In the wake of the stratigic British stand down, with nary a "surge" soldier in sight, and NOT ONE additional DEAD FOREVER British soldier to be mourned by his English kith and kin.

:icon_wink:
    Simple. That is why they "stood down". :icon_wink: Different area and people group interplay.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Tyler,
    It really doesn't matter how much you spin it. It isn't working. Unfortunately, you are blind to that fact. And, it is fact, not fantasy, not spin.

The troop surge is not working because this is a failed war, a failed policy by a the greatest failure of a president in the history of our country. I appreciate that you support him, but he is a complete and total failure, a moron, a liar, an idiot and an egomaniac.....but I still have "respect for the office."

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    And then, Tyler......

With your unique ability to find all pertinent Iraqi War "hyperlinks"......
    May I asume that you will ferret out the complete DETAILS of this most interesting LIMEY lusus naturae reality v. little george's American SURGE stupidity......
    And then offer this dawg board EVERY sincere editorial comment you deem nesessary...... To rationally EXPLAIN why MORE DEATH and MORE DEBT should somehow be patriotically preferred to FEWER DEAD and LESS DEBT!

I await every line of computerized blue letters you are able to discover/offer.

But mostly......
    I await every ORIGINAL thought and word that your personal little grey cells may SPARK, as your honest/original "editorial" efforts next reach for any logical reason to believe that either little george or the Tooth Fairy have any raison d'etre in any adult mind. :icon_wink:
    You're discussing SECTARIAN violence instead of terrorism. However, throughout the whole of Iraq, local populaces have made a decision to take care of their own areas. In places like Basra (southern Iraq) and Anbar Province (western Iraq), the locals are now cooperating with Coalition forces or are forming their own militias to police their own backyard. That has been, in my opinion, our biggest failure to date in Iraq -- we have not won the "hearts and minds" of the Iraqi people. We are not there to fight Iraqis; we are there to fight the foreign terrorists, of whom there are many. The Iraqis are starting to realize this, and we have recently done a good job of recruiting tribal leaders to our side in these areas. They have gone out and convinced the locals to assist us through their provision of information, and this is starting to work to our benefit. Are the Iraqis supporting us because of their opposition to Islamic extremists? No. They are supporting us because they know the only way to get us out is to help us defeat the terrorists in their country.

To get back to a somewhat simple answer to the originial question about southern Iraq, the local Iraqis--whether Sunni or Shiite--are tired of al-Qa'ida (Sunni)/Hizballah (Shia) killing Iraqis belonging to the opposing faction. They are also wary of Iranian/Syrian influence in their country. So, in essence, these people are finally fighting for themselves because they've finally discovered that there is a reason TO FIGHT.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

To the spineless redneck who left the anonymous red dot for me, I don't hate Bush. I am embarrassed of him, that's for sure. But I don't hate him. I pity him as he has dug a hole so big that he can't get out of it.

The surge is not working. So sorry that you've deluded yourself into thinking that, but it isn't. Iraq is a nightmare that WE created.

Iraq did not attack the U.S. We attacked them. Had we gone after Saudi Arabia, then perhaps I would have a different opinion of Bush and the war. But, since Bush sleeps with the devil (Saudi money and oil), he's getting burned.

Twist the facts all you want. Listen to Fox all you want. Stick your nose up O'Reilly's butt as far as you want. It doesn't make a difference. BUSH FAILED. He CONTINUES TO FAIL. HE IS A FAILED PRESIDENT, JUST LIKE HIS FATHER.

Oh, and by the way, when you grow some balls sign your post.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Bush failing at being at President, doesn't mean the surge or anything else that is going on there isn't working... If he, and people with the same opinion as you, wouldn't be so quick so say that we should have been in there and out in a year and such, the bickering back and forth wouldn't be nearly as bad, if happening at all.. But no, everyone was saying we'll be in there quickly (duh! on that one), and out of there quickly... That was the second mistake (besides going in the way we went in). War does not last a few days, a few weeks, a few months, it last YEARS. It can last shortly, but anyone who believed this war was going to be done that quickly, was just fooling themselves as badly as the WMD excuse believers...

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Army Desertion Rate Highest Since 1980

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071116/D8SV1IUO1.html

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

babies... good riddance

+ Reply to Thread