+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exhibition Game

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Re: Exhibition Game

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    It must be miserable for some of you to have to keep working at being so pessimistic - or is it a natural thing for you? :icon_wink: I am just joking around. I can see the reason that you would be concerned.

Many of us thought that the former Lady Techsters would wipe the floor with the current team, though. You may be underestimating just how great those former players were. As for out of shape, even though they may not all work out every single day, those former players stay in shape and still play when they can. That is why that specific group was chosen. It is great that our current team was able to beat them. We have a young team that certainly needed that practice.

WKU is coming up fast. They played in the WNIT pre-season tournament and were beat by Notre Dame. In all, I think they will have had 3 real games before playing us in our first. I don't like that advantage along with it being at their place. Saying that, though, I believe we will do ok. I predict a tight game with us going on runs that keep it close. By the second half, their crowd and the different court shouldn't bother us too much. When we had that prediction thread for the year, I picked this one as a loss, though. I have now changed my mind. I think we take this game in a very close one.

If we win the WKU game Long will have a reprise from many of his detractors. I think that game will be very difficult to win, but should this team pull it off, it will go a long way toward building their confidence.

What has me concerned is the chemistry issue. It seems from D's post about alleged infighting and coaching problems to the suspension of Sierra Nixon that things aren't off to a smooth start, which is what we all hoped for.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    If we win the WKU game Long will have a reprise from many of his detractors. I think that game will be very difficult to win, but should this team pull it off, it will go a long way toward building their confidence.

What has me concerned is the chemistry issue. It seems from D's post about alleged infighting and coaching problems to the suspension of Sierra Nixon that things aren't off to a smooth start, which is what we all hoped for.
    On the contrary. I think that it shows Long is taking control and is not going to put up with junk that some got away with last year. I don't have any information on what happened, though, and really don't want any information on it. Just glad that rules are being enforced.

Varsity Bulldog techfan4life has turned a few heads around heretechfan4life has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by gramtech View Post
    Anyone notice Sierra Nixon did not play?
    Yes, I did notice Sierra didn't play. Wonder why?

As for the game itself, I have mixed feelings. It was great to see the former Techsters, and as much as I wanted to see them play well, I was sure hoping the current team would pull out the victory. I understand everyone thinking the current team should have ran away with this game, but Amanda, Monica, Laquan, Takeisha, and Kendra could still suit up today, folks. With a little conditioning, that would have been a blow out for the former team. The current team has a lot of work to do, especially on defense, but I saw a lot of promise for a mostly young and inexperienced team. The early part of the season is not going to be pretty, but by the end of the season, we should see a different team. Remember too, we played that game without Sierra, Sidney, and Whitney. I honestly believe with this new group of girls, and the talent we've already signed from Alabama for next year, we'll be back in the top 25 in the not too distant future.

Varsity Bulldog MycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really niceMycoskieMedia is just really nice MycoskieMedia's Avatar

Team USA (which includes a lot of WNBA players) is touring and has faced UConn, Tennessee and Texas A&M, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the NCAA allows anyone who has played professionally to participate in exibitions.

I would love to see that too, though.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techfan4life View Post
    Yes, I did notice Sierra didn't play. Wonder why?

As for the game itself, I have mixed feelings. It was great to see the former Techsters, and as much as I wanted to see them play well, I was sure hoping the current team would pull out the victory. I understand everyone thinking the current team should have ran away with this game, but Amanda, Monica, Laquan, Takeisha, and Kendra could still suit up today, folks. With a little conditioning, that would have been a blow out for the former team. The current team has a lot of work to do, especially on defense, but I saw a lot of promise for a mostly young and inexperienced team. The early part of the season is not going to be pretty, but by the end of the season, we should see a different team. Remember too, we played that game without Sierra, Sidney, and Whitney. I honestly believe with this new group of girls, and the talent we've already signed from Alabama for next year, we'll be back in the top 25 in the not too distant future.
    Thanks, it is good to read some first hand information from the game. This year is really exciting to me. We have, basically, an almost brand new team. There will be ups and downs, but it is sure going to be fun and exciting. The three players that you mention will add a whole new dimension to this team. Whitney has some playing experience, even. I worry most about Sidney, because it will take her some time to catch up on experience and working with the team. She should, at least, understand most of the plays on paper, though. Once she gets going, she is going to be fun to watch.

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar

I'm guessing the current pro players have a clause in their contracts that they can't participate in any other organized basketball games except for other teams such as the US national team. But upon retirement from the WNBA, I would hope they could (and would) participate in these exhibition games.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MycoskieMedia View Post
    Team USA (which includes a lot of WNBA players) is touring and has faced UConn, Tennessee and Texas A&M, among others.
    I remember when we nearly beat them in the 90s. Now that was FUN game!

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDawg View Post
    I'm guessing the current pro players have a clause in their contracts that they can't participate in any other organized basketball games except for other teams such as the US national team. But upon retirement from the WNBA, I would hope they could (and would) participate in these exhibition games.
    That is what I'm thinking, as well. Otherwise there was no reason for Cheryl Ford to show up but not play. And it also fits best with the evidence Chris cited above. The prohibition is most likely on the WNBA side. Also, that traveling team that came last year for an exhibition game is technically professional, right?

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Thank you for the info. Those reasons sound quite valid. Forgot about Team USA.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I think about this game and I hear "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Puppy LT30 has turned a few heads around hereLT30 has turned a few heads around here

Cheryl had a hurt knee at the end of the WNBA season, so that's why she may not have played.

+ Reply to Thread