+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: you better sign that ticket or you get tasered

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Re: you better sign that ticket or you get tasered

Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgBB View Post
    Good points on both sides. I also have several law enforcement friends. I would say that there were "wrongs" done on both sides of the situation. A few that I noticed:
    Speeder: Talking back to the officer/disrespectful(we all know that there are better ways to get what you want without being a smart a and making the situation worse)
    Not doing what he was told...several times.
    Walking back to the truck...after being informed that he was under arrest...appears to be resisting arrest.

Trooper: Not explaining how fast was a little fast... I would expect to be in full understanding of what law was violated and to what extent.
    Not explaining that by refusing to sign could and would be punishable by arrest...anybody in their right mind would fight a traffic ticket vs. having a record
    Not drawing his gun first ...JUST KIDDING...

I am going back and forth with this one but I do believe that police officers today have to protect themselves like never before and knowing that I try to give them the benefit of the doubt until all of the facts are known. I, personally, think that the taser may have been a bit excessive in this situation but only due to the fact that the officer did not fully explain everything(at least not on this recording...noticed several parts missing especially at about 6:32).

If the officer had explained everything I would say that the taser would definately be acceptable; however, turning your back to him and walking to your car is resisting arrest and would warrant force necessary to complete the arrest. Therefore, I can see where the officer was coming from.

I had an issue with a wildlife and fisheries officer one time...he was on a "power trip" to me as well. There were two officers in the boat. My registration had expired and I had submitted for a new tag but had not yet received the tags. You are allowed to take your boat out with a copy of proof that you had submitted the paperwork and payment for your sticker/tag. Well...I had left my copy at the house. One officer said that it would be ok this time but he would give a ticket the next time. The other officer was new and said that he was going to issue a ticket. I complied and said that it was fair; however, I knew that there were two tickets possible for this violation. The officer could either give me a guaranteed ticket or a ticket that would be forgiven if I provided proof of my paperwork within 10 days. When I asked the officer about this he acted ignorant so I asked the other officer who was going to forgive me on site and he said that this was correct. Well, the new officer wrote the ticket($75) and handed it to me and I asked him how I was supposed to dispute the ticket and he showed me the process on the back of the ticket. Something still didn't seem right about the situation, therefore, I asked him to write the 10 days at the bottom of the ticket to remind me of my dispute time frame.

Long story short, the new officer had given me the guaranteed ticket instead of the disputable ticket that HE TOLD ME he was giving me. I faxed in my paperwork as instructed and thought nothing more about it. A few months later I got a late fee notice from the state that my ticket had not been paid...things were getting ugly quick. I called down to BR and went all the way up the chain to the top man in Louisiana. He said that there was nothing that he could do because the officer gave me the guaranteed ticket instead of the 10 day ticket. I advised him to review the ticket and the paperwork filed with it because I had a copy with the officer's hand writing saying that I had 10 days. After a few days the big dog(Major I think) called me and apologized. He said that he would speak with the officer and "take care of things".

All of this said just to remind everybody that we are all human. I know that law enforcement is held at a higher level and they should be...but they have a job to do and when you are asked to comply you just have to. It is always good to know the system and how you must go about handling a dispute. The driver on this video could have done a better job...as could the officer. I'm bored...I never use many smileys. Peace out!
    I agree the Trooper should have explained things better, but at the same time the guy kept talking over him and didn't allow things to be explained. The trooper will be a better trooper because of this, but by no means should he be fired. He didn't do things perfectly, but I don't think he was wrong either. The number one rule in law enforcement is, "go home at the end of your shift". A lot of people don't realize cops treat every contact as a potentially life threatening event. While you may be stopped for something minor and be a model citizen, the cop doesn't know if you have a gun in your lap, a warrant, etc. Also, you don't know what call the cop just came from. He could have pulled you over just after a stand off with some dope-head, if you start even a little something in that case, you'll get no leeway.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Sooner I agree with everything you said about the officer. I am shocked you can't see what a complete idiot the driver was being as well. They were both idiots and wrong. You act like that driver was Mr. Innocent. He was an argumentative, smart-ass from the get go. I thought his tone was extremely disrespectful and only escalated the situation. Since when do you get to walk away from a police officer when he says put your hands on the car???? What a moron!!!!!

Both parties acted like incredibly dumb. On several occasions the guy would ask the officer a question then the officer would answer it, and then driver would ask the SAME question again and tell the officer he's not answering the question when he answered it in the first place. That driver was way out of line. Again not defending the Police Officer because he was out of line too, I just can't believe you are sticking up for the driver. There was no good guy in that video, just two idiots going at it and the idiot with the taser won.
    IN EVERY INSTANCE......
    When a police officer stops a motorist for any traffic violation, there are at the least 2 individuals at the scene. One is the driver of the stopped vehicle who may be anything from a fine and decent fellow to a COMPLETE JERK. The other is suppose to be PROFESSIONAL and responsible police officer with the expertise to handle ANY situation in an appropriate manner, and the dedication to protect the legel rights of EVERY American citizens...... EVEN JERKS.

If ANYONE on this board ACTUALLY BELIEVES that ANY American citizen should not have THE RIGHT to question the actions of ANY police officer IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (EVEN IN A VULGAR/JACKARSE MANNER......
    I suggest that they concern themselves NOT with the particulars of this interesting incident......
    But with their personal appraisal of what American RIGHTS AND FREEDOM are actually suppose to guarantee and protect for themselves and all whom they hold dear.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    IN EVERY INSTANCE......
    When a police officer stops a motorist for any traffic violation, there are at the least 2 individuals at the scene. One is the driver of the stopped vehicle who may be anything from a fine and decent fellow to a COMPLETE JERK. The other is suppose to be PROFESSIONAL and responsible police officer with the expertise to handle ANY situation in an appropriate manner, and the dedication to protect the legel rights of EVERY American citizens...... EVEN JERKS.

If ANYONE on this board ACTUALLY BELIEVES that ANY American citizen should not have THE RIGHT to question the actions of ANY police officer IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (EVEN IN A VULGAR/JACKARSE MANNER......
    I suggest that they concern themselves NOT with the particulars of this interesting incident......
    But with their personal appraisal of what American RIGHTS AND FREEDOM are actually suppose to guarantee and protect for themselves and all whom they hold dear.

Do you have the right to walk away from an officer when he tells you multiple times to put your hands on the vehicle? You can give any long winded answer you choose but the answer is NO, period, end of story. If everyone was allowed to just walk away there would cease to be law and anarchy would take it's place. It is a very fine line we are talking about here. Like I said BOTH parties were at fault.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

You have very limited rights that amount practically to none to question an officer for any reason at the scene.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I wanted to back the officer when I started to watch this. I really did. I am well aware of how dangerous traffic stops can be. Again, I have a lot, and I mean a whole lot of police officers and former police officers as friends. When I was going to school at that college off Dalrymple St. in Baton Rouge, a police officer was shot by a motorist in a routine traffic stop. I'm not unsympathetic to the officer's position.

With that perspective, I was waiting for the kid to do something. As I watched it, all I saw was that officer egging that kid on and not giving him the courtesy of giving his side of the story.

Even though the officer knows these stops can be dangerous, instead of defusing the situation, he inflamed the situation.

I then watched over and over the time immediately before he was tasered. That kid was scared to death right before he was shot. I cannot see anything ... nothing ... that made that kid look like he was endangering the life of that officer.

The officer made his motives clear when he was boasting to the other officer. It was all about control, not about danger. He didn't like being showed up by that kid. That is no reason to use lethal force. The officer never said he was scared. You could see it on his face anyway. He wanted to use his new toy. He wanted to give the guy a "ride."

As for losing his job, you might be right. The officer was 14 years on the force without incident. I would suspend him at the least. I would also taser his balls.
    We may seldom agree, Sooner......
    But I am with you 100% on this one.

IMNHO......
    Not only does the involved police officer need to learn a valuable lesson regarding the BULLY behavior he demonstrated during this traffic stop...... ALL police officers need to be reminded that EVERY American citizen has RIGHTS that they are sworn to both SERVE AND PROTECT.

Cheers to you.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

That's true Spinoza, but he wasn't tasered for questioning the police officer. He got hit with the taser for refusing arrest. This citizen has the right to protest his ticket, but he selected a method of doing so which made matters worse. A good method for protesting this ticket would be to defend this ticket in court. If EVERY American has the right to understand WHY they are being arrested, then I will plead stupidity and avoid all legal matters. And if we as Amerians have the right to protest in any manner in which we desire, then I will begin my protest of taxes by not paying them.

But, when you are in the middle of being arrested and you turn and begin walking to your vehicle, you can bet that something bad is going to happen to you.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    That's true Spinoza, but he wasn't tasered for questioning the police officer. He got hit with the taser for refusing arrest. This citizen has the right to protest his ticket, but he selected a method of doing so which made matters worse. A good method for protesting this ticket would be to defend this ticket in court. If EVERY American has the right to understand WHY they are being arrested, then I will plead stupidity and avoid all legal matters. And if we as Amerians have the right to protest in any manner in which we desire, then I will begin my protest of taxes by not paying them.

But, when you are in the middle of being arrested and you turn and begin walking to your vehicle, you can bet that something bad is going to happen to you.
    Yup. I believe that course was Common Sense 101.

Maybe we'll go a different direction here, what should the officer do to someone who has made the decision to walk away when they are being arrested? When the officer pulls out the taser and gives an instruction and you continue to not follow the instruction, you are resisting arrest. When you walk towards your vehicle, you are presenting a threat to the officer. The officer did what was necessary to maintain control of the situation.

What should he have done? Should he have further instructed the man to stop walking and put his hands on the vehicle? Should he have grabbed the man and forced him to the vehicle?
    What should the officer do
    I'll play the cop.

Mr. Gorilla, I have issued you a traffic citation for speeding. Wherther or not you sign this ticket as I have requested means nothing in any legal context. The ticket I have written tells you the place and date and time when you (with or without an attorney) may go to court to defend yourself regarding the speeding charge, and you may then also advise the judge of any complaints you may have regarding my professional behavior during this incident. However, if you fail to go to court to answer this charge, you will be found guilty of speeding, and the court will issue orders to enforce the consequences of the ticket I have just written.

That's merely a PROFESSIONAL cop.

A TRULY GOOD cop might add......
    Mr. Gorilla, I realize you are upset, and I fully respect your FREE SPEECH AMERICAN RIGHT to exprees your opinions in any manner you prefer.. But I hope you realize that YOU and the other tax paying citizens in my jurisdiction pay me to enforce traffic laws that are meant to protect YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, and every other such family from harm. If the judge on this case decides I made an error in issuing you this ticket, I apologize in advance for any inconvenience I may cause you. But for me, as PROFESSIONAL police officer, the only important matter at the moment is that you and your wife and child are safe and unharmed.

And FOR WHAT......
    Was he ARRESTED?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

What should the officer do
    I'll play the cop.

Mr. Gorilla, I have issued you a traffic citation for speeding. Wherther or not you sign this ticket as I have requested means nothing in any legal context. The ticket I have written tells you the place and date and time when you (with or without an attorney) may go to court to defend yourself regarding the speeding charge, and you may then also advise the judge of any complaints you may have regarding my professional behavior during this incident. However, if you fail to go to court to answer this charge, you will be found guilty of speeding, and the court will issue orders to enforce the consequences of the ticket I have just written.

That's merely a PROFESSIONAL cop.

A TRULY GOOD cop might add......
    Mr. Gorilla, I realize you are upset, and I fully respect your FREE SPEECH AMERICAN RIGHT to exprees your opinions in any manner you prefer.. But I hope you realize that YOU and the other tax paying citizens in my jurisdiction pay me to enforce traffic laws that are meant to protect YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, and every other such family from harm. If the judge on this case decides I made an error in issuing you this ticket, I apologize in advance for any inconvenience I may cause you. But for me, as PROFESSIONAL police officer, the only important matter at the moment is that you and your wife and child are safe and unharmed.
    You honestly expect either of those to be said?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Yup. I believe that course was Common Sense 101.
    Are you suggesting......
    That common citizens who may encouter a police officer only rarely if ever throughout their motoring meanderings need something approaching EXCELLENCE in "Common Sense 101"...... But police officers who routinely make traffic stops every working day...... Should be exempted from even monitoring any such course?

Are you suggesting......
    That common citizens who may encouter a police officer only rarely if ever throughout their motoring meanderings need something approaching EXCELLENCE in "Common Sense 101"...... But police officers who routinely make traffic stops every working day...... Should be exempted from even monitoring any such course?
    No not once in this thread have I even come close to saying the officer did a good job. As a matter of fact if you read all my posts in this thread you will see that I have been Crystal Clear in my assertion that the officer did a poor job. I have multiple times called the officer an idiot.

My point has been that this driver is ALSO a moron and this is what happens when two idiots confront each other. This "citizen" would ask the officer a question only to cut him off and talk over him when the officer tried to answer the question. All he did was escalate the situation. He was disrespectful and unintelligent and I am sorry but it didn't take me getting a college education to realize that if an officer tells you to put your hands on the back of a vehicle and turn around multiple times YOU DON'T WALK AWAY FROM HIM.

Again you will find no sympathy for this officer here. I am far from sticking up for him. I can think of 10 things I would have done differently if I were him. BUT, my point is this beligerant, smart ass driver is far from innocent and I don't even remotely feel sorry for him. Like I said it was a confrontation between 2 idiots and the idiot with the taser won.

I don't like the officer because he is a typical bully and not good at his job.
    I don't like the driver because he is a disrespectful smartass who would probably argue with a tree and would prefer to cut off his nose to spite his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    Not verbatim......
    But I'll suggest that ANY PROFESSIONAL COP interaction of a similar nature with any amateur irate motorist would suffice.

But more to the point......
    How would YOU EXPECT to be treated by ANY PROFESSIONAL POLICE OFFICER?

Is it your belief that YOUR FREE SPEECH RIGHTS become automatically VOID the moment any cop challenges any aspect of your personal behavior?

Are you suggesting......
    And BTW excellence and common sense don't belong in the same sentence. If it were excellent sense it would cease being common. I'm saying the driver lacked common sense. The sense 99% of us were fortunate enough to be born with yet only 50% of us choose to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    To an extent, yes I do. And when I have been pulled over I usually am spoken to in the manner Spinoza used in his example. I would expect nothing less.

+ Reply to Thread