+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Rebuilding

Quote Originally Posted by D_dubb View Post
    By many of the post I can see that many of you guys didn't like Budke. Barmore did leave him a good team, but even more than that, He was a great coach. When he left though, he left Long a great team too. It seems that many of you think recruiting juco players is a bad thing. They have game experience, college experience, and it helps them develop their game even more, as long as they come from a good juco team. A team should not be majority juco, but they can assets. These next 2 to 3 years though are going to show what type of Coach, Long is because they will be all the kids that he and his staff have recruited.
    D_dubb,
    Budke left the Techsters with players that I do not want to talk negative about, but only Tasha Williams would have been able to go to the next level (WNBA). You can see already that the players that are scoring our points are Freshmen and Sophmores.

JUCO's are fine. You are right that they are needed. The only reason that a program cannot be built around them is because they only get 2 years. Players improve with experience (D1 is MUCH different than Junior College). A 3 or 4 year player is going to do you very well. An example is Sneed. She is AWESOME! She is now a senior, though. We got some play from her last year, but this is her shining year. Just think if she had of been here from the time she was a freshman. We would have had, at least, 3 years of great play from her. As it stands, we only have one year.

JUCO's are very needed, but we need the freshmen if we are going to build sustainability. Plug the holes with the great JUCO players. They can be very helpful and I am VERY thankful for the ones that we have had. Another great example - Betty Lennox.

I don't know why anyone would defend Budke. He left us without the talent level that we had before. He took over with Erica Taylor, Tasha Williams, and some dang good post players. We should have gone further than Temple in his last year. Long took over with just Tasha - who was injured by the time we got to the NCAA's (twisted ankle getting on the bus to go). If Tasha would have been healthy, we would have at least got past the first round.

Long will prove his worth soon. I don't have any doubts about that, but Budke used the Techsters as a stepping stone. I do not and will not respect that.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    D_dubb,

I don't know why anyone would defend Budke. He left us without the talent level that we had before. He took over with Erica Taylor, Tasha Williams, and some dang good post players. We should have gone further than Temple in his last year. Long took over with just Tasha - who was injured by the time we got to the NCAA's (twisted ankle getting on the bus to go). If Tasha would have been healthy, we would have at least got past the first round.

Long will prove his worth soon. I don't have any doubts about that, but Budke used the Techsters as a stepping stone. I do not and will not respect that.
    Remember that FSU blew us out in the first round of the tournament when Long was coach. It was over in the first half. Then the next round FSU got blown out. In his second year as head coach Long got humiliated by NMSU in the first round of the conference tournament and then declined an NIT invite.

Budke, on the other hand, did well at Tech, and is doing great at OSU. He patiently waited for three years as assisstant before he became head coach. I don't blame him for moving on for a much higher salary and a much more supportive administration.

I'm still waiting for Long to do anything of consequence. I'm hoping that your optimism is warranted. It's disheartening though, when people are suggesting we should have patience while the coach rebuilds in his THIRD year.

I'm still stinging from the losses last year to ULM, EKU, and some of the lower tier WAC schools. We had the personnel last year to win those games handily.
    ________
    Marriage Counseling
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Remember that FSU blew us out in the first round of the tournament when Long was coach. It was over in the first half. Then the next round FSU got blown out. In his second year as head coach Long got humiliated by NMSU in the first round of the conference tournament and then declined an NIT invite.

Budke, on the other hand, did well at Tech, and is doing great at OSU. He patiently waited for three years as assisstant before he became head coach. I don't blame him for moving on for a much higher salary and a much more supportive administration.

I'm still waiting for Long to do anything of consequence. I'm hoping that your optimism is warranted. It's disheartening though, when people are suggesting we should have patience while the coach rebuilds in his THIRD year.

I'm still stinging from the losses last year to ULM, EKU, and some of the lower tier WAC schools. We had the personnel last year to win those games handily.
    OK, I guess Budke was the second coming.

It is what it is. Time will tell. I choose to support Long and can see the rebuilding effort that is taking place after Budke hurt our program. That is MY opinion. You don't agree, but that is fine. I don't think either one of us will change the other's mind.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post

LT,
    While I agree with you that Budke gets a lot of blame for things (imo) he was not responsible for, and while I also agree with you that to use "rebuilding" in the third year of leadership sounds a bit like an excuse, I also want to say that even though the wins this season (so far) have not come against quality teams, they are wins, and they are wins by an entirely new starting five. That doesn't give Long a pass to next season, imo, I still expect him to develop this team quickly, win the WAC and return to the tourney. Anything less would be another disappointing season. That said, you have to admit, looking at it objectively, that there are signs of much improvement so far. Yes, the season is young, and no, I don't agree with someone else who said we are only one or two players away from a Final Four, but compared to last year, we are much improved. I do not think we had weak players last year, it does appear, in hindsight, that there were major personality problems that never worked themselves out. We'll see what happens from here on out, but for now, I am guardedly optimistic.

Bulldog D_dubb has turned a few heads around hereD_dubb has turned a few heads around here D_dubb's Avatar

Champion after Coach Budke left which players graduated. Was it only Erica Taylor? You are so right about the juco kids. That's why is't important to get kids from the top juco's in the country like the one Betty Lennox came from because yes they are only here for two years but they can have an instant impact on the team.

Budke left for a better situation, I don't think him and the administation got along. He left Long with Tasha Williams, A-ray, and Marg among others. Yeah Williams got hurt at the NCAA tourney and that is why you don't wait for players, fine tune what you have and then when those players are ready introduce them in. I don't think Budke did anything wrong and I'm not mad for his decision to leave. Most people don't stay at their first job forever, they use that as a stepping stone for future jobs that have better benefits and incentives.

Long will come around and he is the head man, so what he says goes. I know he will do well. As a former manager under both of them, I took vaulable things that I will use when I get my first coahing job.

Bad attitudes were the down fall of last years team, but they were still given wheel to drive. TP perfect example. She is shining so bright this year but didnt get much time last year and why? she was a freshman and the teams future was put in the hands of the ones with the bad attitudes. Glad Long is not tolerating any bad attitudes this year, I just hope he stays consistant with it.

Quote Originally Posted by D_dubb View Post
    Champion after Coach Budke left which players graduated. Was it only Erica Taylor? You are so right about the juco kids. That's why is't important to get kids from the top juco's in the country like the one Betty Lennox came from because yes they are only here for two years but they can have an instant impact on the team.

Budke left for a better situation, I don't think him and the administation got along. He left Long with Tasha Williams, A-ray, and Marg among others. Yeah Williams got hurt at the NCAA tourney and that is why you don't wait for players, fine tune what you have and then when those players are ready introduce them in. I don't think Budke did anything wrong and I'm not mad for his decision to leave. Most people don't stay at their first job forever, they use that as a stepping stone for future jobs that have better benefits and incentives.

Long will come around and he is the head man, so what he says goes. I know he will do well. As a former manager under both of them, I took vaulable things that I will use when I get my first coahing job.

Bad attitudes were the down fall of last years team, but they were still given wheel to drive. TP perfect example. She is shining so bright this year but didnt get much time last year and why? she was a freshman and the teams future was put in the hands of the ones with the bad attitudes. Glad Long is not tolerating any bad attitudes this year, I just hope he stays consistant with it.
    Sorry, but you will never convince me on anything regarding Budke. He left us vulnerable and jumped ship. The Techster program was never a stepping stone for head coaches. Yes, I blame the administration for setting that up this way, but it was apparent that Budke planned to do this all along. We needed stability and he did not provide that. I hope Long will.

Anyway, we can agree on hoping this season is the first step toward getting back toward the top. I believe in Long and this team.

Bulldog D_dubb has turned a few heads around hereD_dubb has turned a few heads around here D_dubb's Avatar

We will agree to disagree on this subject, I respect that. Long might be the man for the job, but all coaches now if they don't win their jobs could be on the line. He might have planned it all along but you never know what was in his contract and they might have only contracted him for 3 years and he found something better for him, and decided not to come back as head coach. I agree to disagree. I believe in this team as well. they are a great group of girls with lots of talent that can go far.

Puppy Sundance is an unknown

Still wish someone would tell me why Leon hired Budke???
    :bigcry:

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    At the time I think Leon was desperate for a good assit coach and possible replacement. If you look at Budke's record at TVCC he was dominant. I also heard that he and Leon hit it off immediately and Leon felt he had someone he could groom, but I'm sure others on this board could offer much more insight on this subject.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

Well, lets see. Budke has OK State ranked in the top 25. We were a top 25 team when he was here. Maybe he wasn't the problem.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I don't know if he was good coach or not. He obviously did not have the confidence or the desire to build for the future of Louisiana Tech women's basketball.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Here's a question: if we had wins over Sam Houston State, UC Riverside, Fresno, Ark. St. and Wichita St., where would we be ranked? Budke is working Okie State on the Marshall Plan. Beat up on bad teams, get a good record, try to steal a few games in conference.

In women's bball, if you aren't breaking the Sweet 16, you aren't really very good. He managed to make the 16 once -- with a WNBA MVP on his team. He inherited a very good team and it got worse every year.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Wow, you're comparing the weak teams Ok State plays to the powerhouse schedule we have? Give me a break! Who are our wins over this year? Although I'm very happy to have the wins, we've yet to beat a team with a winning schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Wow, you're comparing the weak teams Ok State plays to the powerhouse schedule we have? Give me a break! Who are our wins over this year? Although I'm very happy to have the wins, we've yet to beat a team with a winning schedule.
    Actually, no matter the strength, these SEC teams on our schedule this year will help our rpi tremendously. Budke is using a good formula for a "pretty good" team (same one KMR used at Baylor the first couple of years). It is a known tactic that the B12 used for years until they had anything to brag about. Baylor, OU, Texas, Texas A&M, and TT all now have decent OOC schedules.

We have a good schedule this year. Scheduling 4 SEC teams, WKU, and SFA is a roll of the dice. No way to tell how good those teams will be when the schedule is made out, but it is much more likely that they will be good than lower level conference schools.

Plus, all these SEC teams will help our rpi when they start playing each other. And we will need all the rpi help we can get when WAC play starts.

Varsity Bulldog cranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Here's a question: if we had wins over Sam Houston State, UC Riverside, Fresno, Ark. St. and Wichita St., where would we be ranked? Budke is working Okie State on the Marshall Plan. Beat up on bad teams, get a good record, try to steal a few games in conference.

In women's bball, if you aren't breaking the Sweet 16, you aren't really very good. He managed to make the 16 once -- with a WNBA MVP on his team. He inherited a very good team and it got worse every year.

Once again, people are pouncing on Budke. Get over it!! There are many college coaches that use the school they are at at the time as a "stepping stone." He has cracked the Top 25 and I think he should be given some credit at this point. Quit beating a dead horse!! GEEZ!

+ Reply to Thread