+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lady Vols - Techster Series Ending

Varsity Bulldog bulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the earsbulldog95 seems to have something between the ears bulldog95's Avatar

Re: Lady Vols - Techster Series Ending

We haven't competed very well against top competition for a while now, and it's hard to imagine it changing any time soon. You think these kids coming out of school today give a thought about Tech's women's basketball history? They want what every major college athlete wants, the best program, the most competitive situation, where they can thrive. We don't get the best in the area, much less the best in this part of the country, the way we did in the past. And check the scores for the last several years against Top 10 competition, Tech hasn't held its own.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

C10 - sorry for the outburst - it is just a shame that our once pround program is not even a shadow of what it once was.

I hope you are right about the future of Techster BB.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Ok, so maybe the days of consistent final four, elite eight and sweet sixteen appearances may be over. That applies to just about every school in the country. That does not mean we can not be a consistent winner and competitive against whomever we play, and it does not mean we can't be viewed as one of the best programs - a top 25 program. In this era of WBB there is not going to be just two programs as there were in the past. While Tenn has a great team the past two years, how long had it been since they had won a NC. Where has UConn been the past few years. We do have something to offer recruits. Our history is part of that. I believe if we are determined to be relevant we can be.
    We are not relevant to Tennessee's ambitions at this time. I do not believe we did this. Her assistant said in the article that we were a series they felt they needed to drop. Fine. In today's world tradition is not important if it is not contributing to someone's goals. Unfortunate, but I believe it to be true. I will be a amazed if we have trouble getting teams to play us on a away and home basis. With a little effort we could probably get something going with LSU. Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Alabama, etc. We are rebuilding - it does not happen overnight.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

It is very understandable for some to doubt our rebuilding efforts, but if you look at the whole picture, you can see it. Don't think it is important for everyone to agree, though. The proof will come on the court and I will take pride in the fact that I stood by them. It will be that much sweeter when it happens.

After a loss, the negativity soars around here. I understand that. None of us like to lose. I hated to watch the Lady Techsters lose Monday night to the #1 team in the country. I hate for the series to come to an end, as well. The future looks very bright, though. Hope some of you will change your minds in the future, but mostly hope that you don't spend your time predicting failure in the meantime. It is not constructive for our current team or our future recruits (especially, those top players that have already signed).

I am looking forward to the dismantling of SFA and Alabama in the next 7 days. These will be great games that get us back on track.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

So imo, the opinions on the Techsters are just too isolated. There are those on one side who believe no matter what that we are still a powerhouse in wbb. Those same people refer to "top recruits" as if the players we are signing are on the national radar screen. One, Sword, for next season, was ranked. The rest were not. That does not mean we signed weak players. I believe the players signed sound great, as did last year's class. But the proof is when they play, not in their stat sheets. Those same believers are going to stand by Long no matter what happens this year, it's who they are, and it is admirable.

Then there are those who say no matter what that the Techster tradition is over. We're just a "mid-major" with no money and little hopes of ever appearing in a Sweet Sixteen again. Those people are going to blame Long regardless of what happens this year. I believe Long has a lot to prove this year, but I'm giving him the cyberspace to prove it. The people on this side of the argument find fault in every decision, every loss, and sometimes even the wins. I know, for I have been guilty of finding fault even in a win. And to have fans who are also very vocal critics is important. It balances the situation. If everyone believed it was all going to be good, no matter what, we'd end up accepting mediocrity.

The reality, imo, is that both sides are right to a certain extent, and the rest of the reality is in the middle of those two arguments.

The Techster tradition is, right now, history, a thing of the past. That doesn't mean it cannot be revived. The recruits we are signing are great, but they are not on the level of the recruits that top tier programs are signing. Last year was, by all accounts, abysmal. The loss to Tennessee this year was expected. Where the season goes from this point will end up telling the true story of this team and coach. Personally, I expect a lot this year, even though I predicted a 10+ loss season. That would still be an improvement from last year. If, as the believers state, we sweep the WAC and return to the tourney, then we all owe them for standing by Long and company. And they have their "told you so" moment. If Long and company fail to deliver, then those on the "dark side" will have the same.

Either way, it's ok to stand by the team no matter what, and it's also ok to criticize every visible flaw. That's life, that's sports, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by BUZDAWG View Post
    Ok, so maybe the days of consistent final four, elite eight and sweet sixteen appearances may be over. That applies to just about every school in the country. That does not mean we can not be a consistent winner and competitive against whomever we play, and it does not mean we can't be viewed as one of the best programs - a top 25 program. In this era of WBB there is not going to be just two programs as there were in the past. While Tenn has a great team the past two years, how long had it been since they had won a NC. Where has UConn been the past few years. We do have something to offer recruits. Our history is part of that. I believe if we are determined to be relevant we can be.
    We are not relevant to Tennessee's ambitions at this time. I do not believe we did this. Her assistant said in the article that we were a series they felt they needed to drop. Fine. In today's world tradition is not important if it is not contributing to someone's goals. Unfortunate, but I believe it to be true. I will be a amazed if we have trouble getting teams to play us on a away and home basis. With a little effort we could probably get something going with LSU. Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Alabama, etc. We are rebuilding - it does not happen overnight.
    OK,so the first quote in the article is this: UT coach Pat Summitt said Tuesday that she didn't think Tech wanted to repeat the standing deal and continue playing two games in Knoxville for every UT visit to Ruston, La.

THEN Warlick says what you attributed to her above. As i stated before, if this is Tech's doing, Long should say so to clear it up.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Fan, I don't know where you are placing me in your analysis, I assume in the diehard group. I am definitely an optimistic supporter. However, I don't think you have correctly portrayed the situation. I don't think many people are saying we continue to be a powerhouse or we will ever rise to the level of our past. The environment in today's WBB simply isn't going to allow that for any past power school, even Tennessee. There is too much parity developing and too many good players coming up. I believe most of the optimistic people feel we have an opportunity to be relevant on the national scene, or at least noticed. There appears to be an effort on the part of the school and coaches to make that a reality. It certainly isn't going to be easy. Speaking for myself I have no desire to ever say I told you so when, and if, it occurs. I just want us to put forth the effort to be the best we can be. If we do that, we should be pretty darn good. We shouldn't confuse optimism with having unrealistic expectations, but certainly we should not set low expectations.

I TOLD YOU SO! (Just thought I would try that on for size in case I change my mind.)

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BUZDAWG View Post
    I TOLD YOU SO! (Just thought I would try that on for size in case I change my mind.)

I don't have a need to ever say that either. Just isn't important to me. I just want to WIN. Also, just like in life, I don't find that pessimism really has a useful purpose. It is ok to try to be realistic, but this is a Tech fan site - and fans have a right to think their team could beat anybody.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

We spend alot of time sharing our thoughts and complaints and praise. We are all Lady Techster fans and most of us love all Louisiana Tech athletics no matter what sport it is. I read that we haven't competed against the top 10 competition for some time now and I have to believe that is a correct statement. We were big underdogs the last time we made it to a regional semi finals when we got beat by UCONN in 2001. We also weren't suppose to win the game when we lost to LSU in the regional finals a few years back or was that the regional semi finals in 2003. Lets not forget the loss to UCSB in 2002 in the first round of the tournament. Duke put us out in 2004 in the third round of the regionals by double digits in another game we were not suppose to be in. The game in 2005 was the one that really stole the show though we went out in the first round in a game that we should have won, we held a large lead at half time but couldn't hold it and lost to Temple. I think we were a 12 seed that year.
    Two years ago we lost in the first round to Florida State, we have seen a decline from prominence but the decline started before Budke and Long were the head coaches. Leon Barmore did a wonderful job as head coach but even he was at the front of the down hill slide of our competing and beating the Top 10 teams.
    Women's basketball has gotten very competitive and that is a great thing for the sport of Basketball. Tennessee will always be a strong contender because the school loves Women's basketball and refuse to let things slide. We act as though our program has started this fall in the last year when infact we haven't had a legitimate shot at winning a national championship in many many years.
    I love our school and all athletes that choose to represent our school but I will never say that our decline in dominance in Women's basketball is anyones fault. There is a reason for it and that reason is other schools throught the USA has decided to build on the foundation that Louisiana Tech, Tennessee, Old Dominion and many other great schools laid. We are partly responsible for our own decline, if we hadn't been so good for so long and brought women's basketball to the forefront alot of other schools wouldn't have decided to put the money into their programs.
    We may never make another national championship but I can make one promise, I will always be thankful for everyone that has ever suited up in a Lady Techster uniform and to all of those that will in the future.

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

It was not so much our decline as much as the big schools ascent. We still had big name players. Now we are getting second tier players but guys this team can be competitive. Whitney Jones was a big time recruit. Centers can be taught. Ie Erica Westbrooks. We have the skills to eventually get back to the final four. Lesser teams have snuck in with just one good player. (Stiles). We have more talent on this team than you guys realize. They are just young. And no I am not one of those fans that is fooled into thinking we are still an elite program. BUT. I have to say that I am a bit surprised at the kind of athletes he is still able to recruit. There may still be light at the end of this tunnel.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I too am excited by the wealth of young talent on this team. Certainly we have more reasons to be optimistic than we were, say, 3 years ago. I hope Long is the man for the job and/or "the legend" is lurking around providing guidance :icon_wink:.

The Techsters are, right now, quite literally, just 1 or 2 recruits away from a legit shot of going to the Final Four. Now, getting such quality recruits is never easy, and perhaps the odds are long...but, if it were to happen, then there is no reason the Techsters couldn't make a huge run again!

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I too am excited by the wealth of young talent on this team. Certainly we have more reasons to be optimistic than we were, say, 3 years ago. I hope Long is the man for the job and/or "the legend" is lurking around providing guidance :icon_wink:.

The Techsters are, right now, quite literally, just 1 or 2 recruits away from a legit shot of going to the Final Four. Now, getting such quality recruits is never easy, and perhaps the odds are long...but, if it were to happen, then there is no reason the Techsters couldn't make a huge run again!
    AMEN and thank you for posting that. I totally agree!

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

or turning this volleyball Kara girl into one might help. Remember most top 25 teams don't have a Whitney Jones. It's my opinion that we might just have 4 of them. We haven't even seen what Adrian Johnson can do.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    or turning this volleyball Kara girl into one might help. Remember most top 25 teams don't have a Whitney Jones. It's my opinion that we might just have 4 of them. We haven't even seen what Adrian Johnson can do.
    How do you spell her name, is it Adrienne???? Anyway, she has already shown some flashes of what she can do.

+ Reply to Thread