16 36.36%
  • Blessed Union of Souls

3 6.82%
  • I have know idea what I'm talking about;

17 38.64%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Best 90's band...

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Re: Best 90's band...

Quote Originally Posted by TechStudent View Post
    I don't blame you for red dotting me. Since you've been playing for 6 years I can't believe you didn't have some bands with good drummers. Do yourself a favor and listen to blink 182 and tool. Both have excellent drums.
    Excellent drums don't make excellent music. Yes, tool has an incredible drummer, as do many many bands, but personally, I'm not a big tool fan. I'll concede Blink is much better than those three, but my roommate and I were arguing over what we call "chilled out" music from the 90's.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Tool is the most awesome band making music today.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Tool is the most awesome band making music today.
    That's why it is nice to have more than one genre of music, because Tool just doesn't measure up to Cake.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Jr. - Can you play this?

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?2170902

(note the changing time sigs)
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Jr. - Can you play this?

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?2170902

(note the changing time sigs)
    I would have to listen to the song because I can't read music. Chances are though, probably not. I don't deny Tool's ability as musicians, just saying their style of music does not appeal to me.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    Wow, I just got around to the music threads. Some of you like some really crappy bands.

I agree with Guiss, the Pumpkins ARE the 1990s. I'd also say that Radiohead was fantastic during that time (but MUCH earlier than OK Computer -- think Pablo Honey or The Bends). Nirvana was great, but I personally think that the Foo Fighters are even better (even in the 1990s)!
    pumpkins make the list, but you go way too far. after three or four of their songs, you've heard them all (and your ears are ringing). i never listed to radiohead much, but i will give you foo fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    pumpkins make the list, but you go way too far. after three or four of their songs, you've heard them all (and your ears are ringing).
    I will give you the fact that your ears would be ringing, but you have hardly heard them all after listening to 3-4 songs. They have the largest catalog I have ever seen of any band. Just to make a short list of some of their great, yet diverse songs (and I will stick with the 90s):

Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979, Tonight Tonight, Cherub Rock, Mayonaise, Ava Adore, Zero, Today, Soma, Quiet, Rocket, Geek USA, Disarm, Muzzle, Here Is No Why, Where Boys Fear to Tread, Bodies, Jellybelly, Thru the Eyes of a Ruby, Drown, Blew Away, Mouths of Babes.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and Siamese Dream are LOADED and the songs sound nothing alike, IMO.
    Last edited by Guisslapp; 12-04-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    pumpkins make the list, but you go way too far. after three or four of their songs, you've heard them all (and your ears are ringing). i never listed to radiohead much, but i will give you foo fighters.
    Wow. There is certainly room for a difference of opinion, but I just can't understand the bolded part. I'd actually call the Pumpkins collection one of the most (if not the most) diverse collections since Pink Floyd. They cross a line from piano-rich, classical to very hard rock to , with a lot in between. They've experimented with electronica-style work, psychedelic/dream pop, etc. I guess if you were to try to categorize their entire body of work at one time, the only label that would come close is "progressive rock." But weren't the greatest bands of all time (later-day Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc.) cast into that category as well?

The only real common threads in the Pumpkins collection are the distinctive Corgan voice, the fact that all songs are "music-richness" (multi-layered, willingness to use a wide range of instruments and very nice performance of every chosen instrument), and a willingness to abruptly change tempo.

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

I will give you the fact that your ears would be ringing, but you have hardly heard them all after listening to 3-4 songs. They have the largest catalog I have ever seen of any band. Just to make a short list of some of their great, yet diverse songs (and I will stick with the 90s):

Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979, Tonight Tonight, Cherub Rock, Mayonaise, Ava Adore, Zero, Today, Soma Quiet, Rocket, Geek USA, Disarm, Muzzle, Here Is No Why, Where Boys Fear to Tread, Bodies, Jellybelly, Thru the Eyes of a Ruby, Drown, Blew Away, Mouths of Babes.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and Siamese Dream are LOADED and the songs sound nothing alike, IMO.
    I guess you beat me to it. :icon_wink:

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    Wow, I just got around to the music threads. Some of you like some really crappy bands.

I agree with Guiss, the Pumpkins ARE the 1990s. I'd also say that Radiohead was fantastic during that time (but MUCH earlier than OK Computer -- think Pablo Honey or The Bends). Nirvana was great, but I personally think that the Foo Fighters are even better (even in the 1990s)!
    I'm not sure who you find crappy but I definitely don't disagree with the Fighters of Foo opinion just not that they were the band that Defined the 90's. I'm really not a huge fan of Nirvana but I think they changed music for that decade. Then came the basterdised versions of grunge until it ran it's course and as music always does had to be reinvented.

How about you start a list of the bands you consider the crappiest and we'll see how that goes.

For me, it is hard to say that Nirvana defined the 90s because they mainstreamed the Grunge sound. Grunge was only commercially viable for a few years in the 90s. Then people got over it - possibly because no one could do it like Kurt Cobain and Pearl Jam started to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    I'm not sure who you find crappy but I definitely don't disagree with the Fighters of Foo opinion just not that they were the band that Defined the 90's. I'm really not a huge fan of Nirvana but I think they changed music for that decade. Then came the basterdised versions of grunge until it ran it's course and as music always does had to be reinvented.

How about you start a list of the bands you consider the crappiest and we'll see how that goes.

I'd consider the 3 asked in the poll question to be crappy bands.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Bullet With Butterfly Wings, 1979, Tonight Tonight, Cherub Rock, Mayonaise, Ava Adore, Zero, Today, Soma, Quiet, Rocket, Geek USA, Disarm, Muzzle, Here Is No Why, Where Boys Fear to Tread, Bodies, Jellybelly, Thru the Eyes of a Ruby, Drown, Blew Away, Mouths of Babes.

i guess its just the vocals (not just the voice) that are the same. i liked it, but the one time i listened to a full album of theirs it got a little monotonous.

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

While I could probably fill my MP3 with good songs from the 90s, it would spread out over lots of bands. For my tastes, there was no one really excellent band that I think of when you ask about the 90s. At least no band that spanned the 90s. There were several that had good runs for a few years, then what?

Varsity Bulldog TechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her gameTechStudent is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    That's why it is nice to have more than one genre of music, because Tool just doesn't measure up to Cake.
    Now why didn't you put cake on the list? They are more my style than Tool and the other bands you listed.

I'm still a little confused at why you don't like to play Tool songs. It might not be your ideal genre but it's always fun to challenge yourself and take a fresh approach with your instrument.

+ Reply to Thread