View Poll Results: Who's the best drummer?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lars Ulrich (Metallica)

5 8.33%
  • Danny Carey (Tool)

7 11.67%
  • John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)

12 20.00%
  • Neil Peart (Rush)

26 43.33%
  • Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones)

1 1.67%
  • Keith Moon (The Who)

9 15.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Who's the best drummer?

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

Re: Who's the best drummer?

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Fortunately I have a good job and no kids, so cost is not that big of a deal. I don't want to spend money that is unnecesarry, but I do want good sound quality and durability.
    well good. expendable income is great.

but just because it is the most expensive doesnt make it the best. and certainly not the best for you.

if you have that much extra income; go to pasic in austin, tx the first of november

EVERY drum manufacturer will be there and have all their stuff in the exhibit hall. spend a day playing on everythign. that will show you what you want.

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by OmahaDawg View Post
    My favorite cymbals that I have played over the years haveeen: 17" Sabian AAX Stage Crash, 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride, 18" Sabian B8 Pro China, 16" 2002 Paiste Crash, 14" Wuhan China, 14" Sabian B8 Pro Rock Hats, 14" Paiste 2000 Medium Hats, 16" Paiste Rude Crash/Ride, 10" Sabian AA Splash.

I have a Sonor 3000 series set. Scandanavian Birch. Custom 5" x 14" Maple snare.
    My favs have been

the raw ride i mentioned earlier; i had a great zildjian ping ride in college; my fusion sabian hats, everyone loves wuhan chinas; and i played a jazz ride, think it was zildjian; that was like awesome.

of course i have to have my concert favs too.

but i am contractually required to say; ahem; SABIAN is the best. play sabian. they will make your life better and make you sound more better.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrumDawg View Post
    but just because it is the most expensive doesnt make it the best. and certainly not the best for you.
    I know. I would rather buy stuff that makes sense at my level, but I don't feel like my object is to get out the door spending the least amount of money if my equipment will never have the ability to sound good.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

and i agree with that.

stick with the companies that are tried and true.

Pearl (am contractually required to say they dont suck)
    Tama
    Yamaha
    Mapex (man, they sound good)
    DW (most in the recording business use these)

and if you want electronics; Roland.

hope that helps. if you want my opinion on specific models; pm me; id be happy to give them a look.

either way; glad to see another drummer out there

just consider what are you gonna use them for; if it is just for you; then it doesnt matter what we all think; get what you want and will use.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

well i will answer you about electronics.

I think it is great. HOWEVER. very expensive. opens up a whole OTHER set of issues; in terms of balance and such.
    and well, most are not very durable.

However, they are great to have and use; mostly to ENHANCE what you do.

it isnt just on this site. look at guys that are working daily. playing set on a daily basis. and look at their equipment. MOST use acoustic. it is tested and durable. the electronics is used to enhance. and for that, it is great.

i am not coming from a drummer standpoint; but a musician standpoint. if you learn to play on electronic equipment, it may or may not translate to acoustic. if you learn to play on acoustic; you can play on both.
    Hey, that's what I said...

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

well good. expendable income is great.

if you have that much extra income; go to pasic in austin, tx the first of november

EVERY drum manufacturer will be there and have all their stuff in the exhibit hall. spend a day playing on everythign. that will show you what you want.
    +1

My favs have been

the raw ride i mentioned earlier; i had a great zildjian ping ride in college; my fusion sabian hats, everyone loves wuhan chinas; and i played a jazz ride, think it was zildjian; that was like awesome.

of course i have to have my concert favs too.

but i am contractually required to say; ahem; SABIAN is the best. play sabian. they will make your life better and make you sound more better.

I have a zildjian ping now. :icon_wink:

Zildjian Master hats are great. have some.

If you guys are looking for something a little different, check out Saluda Cymbals. They have some very interesting and different cymbal lines. I got an 18" china. Freaking awesome. DD, I'll bring it by and let you check it out sometime.

http://www.saludacymbals.com/

lunch tomorrow?

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

What tape/dvd would you drummers recommend for a beginner to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post
    What tape/dvd would you drummers recommend for a beginner to buy?
    What's a "tape?"

In all seriousness, and assuming you can read music:

1. Take an hour lesson from a professional.
    2. Start here>>>>New Breed - Gary Chester<<<< (it's a book not a dvd or one of those "tape" thingies)
    3. If you get really brave...Advanced Techniques For the Modern Drummer - Jim Chapin

Of course there are many more, but I highly recommend you start with #1, 2 and go from there. Most videos won't teach you much more than cool licks and pattterns that you can come up with on your own if you spend your time more wisely laying a good foundation and learning the right way first. Learn to walk before you run. It will pay off later.

Drumdawg may have some better suggestions if you are looking more for something written in crayon, like "this is a throne," "this is a hi-hat," "this is how to change a head."

Hope that helps.

Nope; those are the exact two books I start with. as a matter of fact, the same two books dave weckl started with and starts with. yes, he told me so. (ahem, namedropper)

after getting down the basics in these two books; the website; chucksilverman.com is a great resource for patterns; such as latin, funk, swing, etc. and then, just put on a cd and play along; try to keep time at first; THEN try to mimic the guy; and i am not suggesting SOLOS, or bands where the drummer is the main guy; just really really good bands where the drummer is a drummer and try to mimic what he does.

mark smith in ruston is the best private teacher for drum set. look him up.
    Last edited by DrumDawg; 10-17-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: upon second thought....

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Wow, "New Breed" sounds a little advanced for beginners.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Wow, "New Breed" sounds a little advanced for beginners.
    It's not. HOWEVER...you MUST follow the directions and do exactly what it says. You skip stuff, you cheat yourself.

Nope; those are the exact two books I start with. as a matter of fact, the same two books dave weckl started with and starts with. yes, he told me so. (ahem, namedropper)

after getting down the basics in these two books; the website; chucksilverman.com is a great resource for patterns; such as latin, funk, swing, etc. and then, just put on a cd and play along; try to keep time at first; THEN try to mimic the guy; and i am not suggesting SOLOS, or bands where the drummer is the main guy; just really really good bands where the drummer is a drummer and try to mimic what he does.

mark smith in ruston is the best private teacher for drum set. look him up.
    Show off.

+ Reply to Thread