+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Name a crappy band from the 90s (or defend one that others call bad)

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Re: Name a crappy band from the 90s (or defend one that others call bad)

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    The Offspring. Talk about annoying.
    I found their Smash album to be pretty good (Bad Habit, Self Esteem, Come out and Play). The others were far to cheesy for my taste. But even Smash does sound a little like a wannabe-Nirvana, so I can appreciate the sentiment.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    98 degrees
    Let's just say "Boy band".

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

bb mack
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

The Wallflowers.
    Collective Soul.
    Sheryl Crow.
    Oasis.
    Garbage.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    Let's just say "Boy band".
    and anything under that category

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Just a question...

Do you go to bars and pick up fat chicks that no one else is hitting on hoping that you'll find one that is great in the sack?

I mean a fat chick that can work it, by your logic, is better than a hot chick who can work it equally as well because your expectations are lower...
    Interesting question. The fat chicks like Hootie, though, right? That's sort of a deal-breaker.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Limp Bizkit. Never bought into the horrible rap/rock phase.
    Sorry to hear. I really like that style/genre.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

It goes back to the ole Commercial vs Artistic argument. Some music just sounds over produced. Too packaged, this is ONE of my problems with country music, with the exception of some great country singer songwriters. Much of the music of the MTV era falls into this category for me. When your looks became more important than your art, or if there is a dance that goes with the song I lose interest fast.

For the Fat Chick argument I'll offer this. One of the strikingly hot girls I had the good fortune to date could be compared to some of the more popular bands. She was a model, tall, blonde, and when she walked into the room every guy stopped and stared. However, she was a dumb as a dumb box of rocks. After a while the fun wore off, and yeah it did take a while but after having to basically talk to myself for entertainment as long as our clothes were on I just couldn't take it anymore. Now I didn't ditch her for Lulu from Hee Haw (the older guys will understand) I went for the whole package, and while some of them were not as beautiful, I could get through dinner without falling asleep.

So for my addition I will nominate Marilyn Manson.

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Thumbs Down Re: Name a crappy band from the 90s (or defend one that others call bad)

And the winner is ----

Color Me Badd!

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    For the Fat Chick argument I'll offer this. One of the strikingly hot girls I had the good fortune to date could be compared to some of the more popular bands. She was a model, tall, blonde, and when she walked into the room every guy stopped and stared. However, she was a dumb as a dumb box of rocks. After a while the fun wore off, and yeah it did take a while but after having to basically talk to myself for entertainment as long as our clothes were on I just couldn't take it anymore. Now I didn't ditch her for Lulu from Hee Haw (the older guys will understand) I went for the whole package, and while some of them were not as beautiful, I could get through dinner without falling asleep.
    No question. My analogy's point is that given everything else being equal, the attractiveness, acceptance, popularity of the subject should not decrease the value. So with your story, if the model and Lulu were equally as interesting, smart, etc... Does Lulu actually have the edge in that situation?

Your response would argue against the idea that if it is popular, it's good. I disagree with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    So for my addition I will nominate Marilyn Manson.
    Both for his music and the inspiration of 10's of thousands of pricks that want to be like him.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

No question. My analogy's point is that given everything else being equal, the attractiveness, acceptance, popularity of the subject should not decrease the value. So with your story, if the model and Lulu were equally as interesting, smart, etc... Does Lulu actually have the edge in that situation?

Your response would argue against the idea that if it is popular, it's good. I disagree with that as well.
    If the model and lulu were equally as interesting, smart, etc.. assuming that we are talking interesting and smart on the high end of the scale I certainly would not mind talking to Lulu or spending time with her but the model is the one I'm taking home.

In the case of the 90's you could say that Nirvana was highly popular, and here we are in the 2000's and I still don't mind hearing them. I can tollerate just about anything musically for a short period of time, some shorter than other. 1 Hootie song a year is about right.

Consequently I think the biggest problem with radio today is their fear of playing something that might not be popular. For gods sake AOR is stlll cranking out "Stairway" over and over, when "Misty Mountain Hop, or When the Levee Breaks, or The Battle of Evermore" are fantastic tunes. I just think ok there is nothing wrong with the prom queen but the girl next door ain't so bad either.

I didn't really say it would decrease in value -- just that I'd be more likely to label it as "crappy." It's more likely to leave a lasting impression of its "crappiness" than a band that I've never heard of. :icon_wink:

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

isn't "crappy band from the 90s" redundant?

Sorry if someone's already made the joke -- not going to read the whole thread

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    isn't "crappy band from the 90s" redundant?

Sorry if someone's already made the joke -- not going to read the whole thread
    I blame it on the war on drugs. More drugs = better music.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

+ Reply to Thread