+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you reading currently?

Are there any bookworms on here? I've recently got on a reading kick, and am currently reading the "Sword of Shannara" trilogy hardcover (all 3 books in 1), by Terry Brooks. I'm hoping to blast through this easy reading before I go to Minneapolis for a couple weeks of work, where I can start on some other book series, since I'll be bored in the evenings.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

moby dick. i don't have a lot of free time to read, so it's taking a while. i'm 81% of the way through with it, according to the kindle.

before that is was a couple of terry pratchett's discworld books.

before that i re-read hucklberry finn and the last harry potter book.

before that it was some ray bradbury, some edgar allen poe, some douglas adams, some isaac asimov, and some emily dickinson.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

re-reading "Deathly Hallows", prior read Drew Brees's autobiography and the "Blind Side" book. Book is better than the movie.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

The Scarlet Letter and the Environmental Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam. I'll begin reading some of Hemingway's works once I'm done with those 2 books.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Reading Haruki Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase.

And a book about the history of the Fort Worth Cats.

Re-read a lot of the Second Jungle Book over the last few days.

Read The Girl I Left Behind by Shusaku Endo not long ago.

Last week I finished a book by Garrison Keillor.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Reading Haruki Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase.

And a book about the history of the Fort Worth Cats.

Re-read a lot of the Second Jungle Book over the last few days.

Read The Girl I Left Behind by Shusaku Endo not long ago.

Last week I finished a book by Garrison Keillor.

Murakami's awesome. Have you read "The End of the World and the Hard-Boiled Wonderland" by him? I think the English-translated versions of his book capture his writing style pretty decently too. I'd probably jump back to one of those if I wasn't on a nerdy fantasy book kick right now...

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

BB&B

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    BB&B
    Damn! You beat me to it!

Varsity Bulldog solo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the roughsolo1001 is a jewel in the rough

I'm hooked on Nelson Demille. Charm School blew me away. He wrote it 25 years ago and the stuff he wrote about is all over the news these days. His John Corey series is great too. Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston write a good series and individually they do great work too. I like James Rollins a lot. Both of those are in the thriller genre but you have to suspend your disbelief just a tad. Fun adventure stuff though.

I've read all of Vince Flynn and Brad Thor but fighting muslim terrorist plots tend to get a little repetitive. I didn't think I'd like Lee Child but those books are infectious too. I've read most of them. Clive Cussler's solo books are terrific. When he started writing with his son though, they took a nosedive.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    Murakami's awesome. Have you read "The End of the World and the Hard-Boiled Wonderland" by him? I think the English-translated versions of his book capture his writing style pretty decently too. I'd probably jump back to one of those if I wasn't on a nerdy fantasy book kick right now...

This is my first Murakami. I probably picked up Norwegian Wood a hundred times from the bookstore when I lived in Japan, but never bought it.

Have you ever read any Yoshikawa Eiji? It's historical fiction. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    moby dick. i don't have a lot of free time to read, so it's taking a while. i'm 81% of the way through with it, according to the kindle.

before that is was a couple of terry pratchett's discworld books.

before that i re-read hucklberry finn and the last harry potter book.

before that it was some ray bradbury, some edgar allen poe, some douglas adams, some isaac asimov, and some emily dickinson.

Nerd.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Almost always historical stuff. Reading a book about the beginnings of the Manhattan Project right now, but its slanted more towards the personalities involved than the science. You forget this was a bunch of 23/24 year olds putting this thing together. Stories about wild parties, swinging, etc. Still see some of these people around town when I'm up there and its pretty cool.

Also reading a lot of Linux stuff in prep for my Red Hat certification.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    Almost always historical stuff. Reading a book about the beginnings of the Manhattan Project right now, but its slanted more towards the personalities involved than the science. You forget this was a bunch of 23/24 year olds putting this thing together. Stories about wild parties, swinging, etc. Still see some of these people around town when I'm up there and its pretty cool.

Also reading a lot of Linux stuff in prep for my Red Hat certification.

Love linux.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    This is my first Murakami. I probably picked up Norwegian Wood a hundred times from the bookstore when I lived in Japan, but never bought it.

Have you ever read any Yoshikawa Eiji? It's historical fiction. Good stuff.
    I have not. Is there a particular book you'd recommend? Do you read his stuff in Japanese or in English?

+ Reply to Thread