+ Reply to Thread
Page 277 of 325 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 4875

Thread: What are you listening to Today?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: What are you listening to Today?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Lead singer Steve Winwood is only 16 years old.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Guiss --

Likes Radiohead bc complaint rock.

Hates Gin Blossoms bc top 40 hits.

Head explodes.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Guiss --

Likes Radiohead bc complaint rock.

Hates Gin Blossoms bc top 40 hits.

Head explodes.
    I like both bands.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I like both bands.
    That's not a bad version at all!

Listened to a podcast about Hey Jealousy today and they mentioned it.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    That's not a bad version at all!

Listened to a podcast about Hey Jealousy today and they mentioned it.
    Agree, not bad, but I also am not really too big a fan of FPT.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Agree, not bad, but I also am not really too big a fan of FPT.
    More along my interest in Radiohead - Vienna Teng plays Idioteque (skip to 1:30 to avoid banter).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwHWqZmAB00

In case it isn't clear from my other posts on this thread, I really enjoy listening to and thinking about all kinds of music.

<pause for eye rolls>

<<return to sincerity>>

And one thing I appreciate about the podcast/youtube era is that there are just so many deep dives into songs out there. Like whole podcasts dedicated to breaking down song histories, lyrics, music, etc! And not just one, zillions of them. I have to admit the music theory mostly goes way over my head on these things. I can sometimes hang in there for the less technical talk or if they give examples as they go, but I still like listening to that stuff even though (because?) I have no musical talent, training, or (technical) understanding.

Just this week, I've enjoyed learning about The Girl from Ipanema from this video. The Clapton/Babyface song Change the World on this podcast (mostly about the songwriter actually - it's the Wayne Kirkpatrick one). As mentioned above, the Ringer has a new podcast about songs from the 90s, and they did Hey Jealousy. And I listened to several episodes of The Great Songs Podcast, including Walking in Memphis, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and Flood.

When I was reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy to my middle kid this last year, we also listened to a very good set of episodes from The Soundtrack Show about the music for the movie version of Fellowship of the Ring. Fantastic deep dive into that score, examinations of how and why some of that stuff is in there and of the various lietmotifs and themes. Highly recommend (obviously many levels of nerd working in this paragraph - sorry, not sorry).

Song Exploder is pretty good, but I usually only listen if I know and like the song or band. I probably would like the others, but there is only so much time on my commute. Same for Broken Record with Rick Rubin and Malcolm Gladwell. I like the ones I've heard for the most part, but don't love the show enough to listen when it's not a musician I'm into.

Anyway. If you like those songs (or the music nerd gear break-downs, or stories behind the songs, or the context, or the theory stuff, or just hearing people rave about music they like) you should consider checking some of those out. The JJ Heller one is a little broader in scope, she's a (very good) singer songwriter but her podcast is more about the story of the creative person (not all musicians) and less technical (also trends CCM, which is more or less her space, if that matters to you). The Ringer one is going to focus more on cultural relevance I assume (they're just 2 in and I can't stand Alanis so I didn't listen to the first one, but that's sort of their thing so I imagine it'll all be through that lens). The Great Songs Podcast seems to be done by just two dudes for fun, but they are actually the most technical, digging into the backing bands and equipment notes and theory.

Let me know if you try any of these and what you thought. I'd be interested in what someone who actually understands music, like Johnny, thinks of these (or if y'all have recommendations of other good music break-down podcasts).

https://fundraise.bloodwatermission....oncert/e304326

Looks like they're doing this again. Considering a donation towards Who We Are Instead.

Didn't make it back to this in time to donate, but my choice won anyway. Very excited about this.

In case it isn't clear from my other posts on this thread, I really enjoy listening to and thinking about all kinds of music.

<pause for eye rolls>

<<return to sincerity>>

And one thing I appreciate about the podcast/youtube era is that there are just so many deep dives into songs out there. Like whole podcasts dedicated to breaking down song histories, lyrics, music, etc! And not just one, zillions of them. I have to admit the music theory mostly goes way over my head on these things. I can sometimes hang in there for the less technical talk or if they give examples as they go, but I still like listening to that stuff even though (because?) I have no musical talent, training, or (technical) understanding.

Just this week, I've enjoyed learning about The Girl from Ipanema from this video. The Clapton/Babyface song Change the World on this podcast (mostly about the songwriter actually - it's the Wayne Kirkpatrick one). As mentioned above, the Ringer has a new podcast about songs from the 90s, and they did Hey Jealousy. And I listened to several episodes of The Great Songs Podcast, including Walking in Memphis, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and Flood.

When I was reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy to my middle kid this last year, we also listened to a very good set of episodes from The Soundtrack Show about the music for the movie version of Fellowship of the Ring. Fantastic deep dive into that score, examinations of how and why some of that stuff is in there and of the various lietmotifs and themes. Highly recommend (obviously many levels of nerd working in this paragraph - sorry, not sorry).

Song Exploder is pretty good, but I usually only listen if I know and like the song or band. I probably would like the others, but there is only so much time on my commute. Same for Broken Record with Rick Rubin and Malcolm Gladwell. I like the ones I've heard for the most part, but don't love the show enough to listen when it's not a musician I'm into.

Anyway. If you like those songs (or the music nerd gear break-downs, or stories behind the songs, or the context, or the theory stuff, or just hearing people rave about music they like) you should consider checking some of those out. The JJ Heller one is a little broader in scope, she's a (very good) singer songwriter but her podcast is more about the story of the creative person (not all musicians) and less technical (also trends CCM, which is more or less her space, if that matters to you). The Ringer one is going to focus more on cultural relevance I assume (they're just 2 in and I can't stand Alanis so I didn't listen to the first one, but that's sort of their thing so I imagine it'll all be through that lens). The Great Songs Podcast seems to be done by just two dudes for fun, but they are actually the most technical, digging into the backing bands and equipment notes and theory.

Let me know if you try any of these and what you thought. I'd be interested in what someone who actually understands music, like Johnny, thinks of these (or if y'all have recommendations of other good music break-down podcasts).

....you must have a lot of free time.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ....you must have a lot of free time.
    I wish.

But I do have a little bit of a commute which is perfect for podcasts.

RIP Jerry Jeff Walker

If they do one of those in memoriam things at the next Grammy awards, it's going to be half the show.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

RIP Jerry Jeff Walker

If they do one of those in memoriam things at the next Grammy awards, it's going to be half the show.
    yeah the music world has lost a lot of good ones this year.

+ Reply to Thread