View Poll Results: Who do you think is best?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eddie Van Halen

11 22.00%
  • Eric Johnson

2 4.00%
  • Steve Vai

3 6.00%
  • Yngwie Malmsteen

0 0%
  • Jimi Hendrix

11 22.00%
  • Buckethead

1 2.00%
  • Jimmy Page

4 8.00%
  • John Petrucci

0 0%
  • Tom Morello

4 8.00%
  • Eric Clapton

14 28.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Guitarist

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Best Guitarist

What the heck? I hope no one is too offended if I left your personal favorite off the list. I can only have 10 choices on the poll.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Re: Best Guitarist

I went to a Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/ERic Johnson concert in high school. What an amazing show.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

For the same reasons as the drummer poll, I refuse to vote. To even speculate that one of these would be best guitarist... rock guitarists maybe, otherwise... Andres Segovia?

My favorite from that list is probably Eric Johnson, but he's not necessarily "better" than someone like Hendrix who just had amazing ability.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

I voted for Tom Morello because he is my favorite of that group. I could see how people could vote for a lot of guys on that list. There is some SERIOUS talent in that poll.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

I intended to cover a fairly broad range of style. For purposes of this poll you can pick your favorite style - that is what I ultimately went for on the drummer poll.
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    For the same reasons as the drummer poll, I refuse to vote. To even speculate that one of these would be best guitarist... rock guitarists maybe, otherwise... Andres Segovia?

My favorite from that list is probably Eric Johnson, but he's not necessarily "better" than someone like Hendrix who just had amazing ability.
    It's not like we are voting on the Heisman or anything. :icon_wink: In the spirit of that award (it is Heisman week), I think we should leave it open to interpretation what the "Best Guitarist" label actually means.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Gaspar Sanz
    Fernando Sor
    Mauro Giuliani
    Francisco Tárrega
    Andrés Segovia
    Julian Bream
    John Williams

But you guys probably haven't heard of any of them, huh?

...so I'll take Petrucci and the Jim(i, my)s with honorable mention going to Clapton, SR Vaughn, and David Gilmour.

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    It's not like we are voting on the Heisman or anything. :icon_wink: In the spirit of that award (it is Heisman week), I think we should leave it open to interpretation what the "Best Guitarist" label actually means.
    OK. In the spirit of that award, I will vote for Eric Johnson as my favorite for reasons other than ability. Only that I like his music. I will still save Segovia for the best if I had to choose that award.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    What the heck? I hope no one is too offended if I left your personal favorite off the list. I can only have 10 choices on the poll.
    FWIW, I'm impressed with your list of rock guitarists. It looks like you know a good it about modern rock guitarists.

There's a movie called crossroads where Karate Kid and Steve Vai have a guitar battle. Ralph Maccio may actually deserve a spot on this list after that flick.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    FWIW, I'm impressed with your list of rock guitarists. It looks like you know a good it about modern rock guitarists.

There's a movie called crossroads where Karate Kid and Steve Vai have a guitar battle. Ralph Maccio may actually deserve a spot on this list after that flick.
    Did he use the Crane technique? Did he sweep the leg? :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Did he use the Crane technique? Did he sweep the leg? :icon_wink:
    Ralph Maccio wouldn't sweep the leg. That is something the Cobra Chi would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Ralph Maccio wouldn't sweep the leg. That is something the Cobra Chi would do.
    I know. I was a big Cobra Kai fan back in the day. Johnny rocked!

Champ TECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to allTECHLAX is a name known to all TECHLAX's Avatar

Eddie VH then Slash...

Nuno from Extreme is pretty good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I know. I was a big Cobra Kai fan back in the day. Johnny rocked!
    Me too. Notice my sig line.

Guitar lessons from Buckethead and his hand puppet.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=3

+ Reply to Thread