View Poll Results: Who is the best rock band of all time?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Beatles

20 37.74%
  • Led Zeppelin

12 22.64%
  • U2

3 5.66%
  • Rolling Stones

7 13.21%
  • The Clash

0 0%
  • The Doors

0 0%
  • The Who

0 0%
  • Pink Floyd

2 3.77%
  • Queen

3 5.66%
  • Bob needs to stay off the music threads

6 11.32%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best band EVER

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: best band EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    Being a child of the '60's, I can identify with most of these. I voted for the Beatles and they were undoubtedly the best rock group of all time but the best rock band is no doubt the Rolling Stones. If you have ever been to one of their concerts, you would know what I mean. There could be a strong argument, however, for Led Zeplin and Arrowsmith as the best rock band.

The Eagles would be second to the Beatles as the best rock group.
    I'll put Floyd up against any of them.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i guess i don't understand your distinction between band and group. i guess my definition of "band" is "small group of musicians."
    My definition of "band" is a kick ass collection of musicians that rock the house. My definition of "group" is a collection of musicians that aren't just great musicians, but are great writers, promoters, and are each iconic. There are exceptions in that some "bands" have some members that are iconic and some members of "groups" can rock the house.

Hell, I don't know what I am trying to say, I just know in my mind there is a distinction.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the 4 most influential bands that I can think of were the Beatles in the 60's, Led Zeppelin in the 70's, REM in the 80's, and Nirvana in the 90's. I quit listening after that. I guess Britney Spears influences the scene today.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    Probably the 4 most influential bands that I can think of were the Beatles in the 60's, Led Zeppelin in the 70's, REM in the 80's, and Nirvana in the 90's. I quit listening after that. I guess Britney Spears influences the scene today.
    since the late 70's, i think the music industry has been slowly refining the formula for making music for people who don't like music. the result is that much more music is sold, but it is harder and harder to find good music.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    I think if you define "best" in terms of influence, the vote would have to go to the Beatles. That's probably a tad unfair since it's probably easier to be more influential if you're one of the first of something -- in this case, rock bands.

I'm still inclined to vote for the Beatles, though, because of the amazing variety in their music. Few groups manage to sound as different over time as they did and still produce good music all along the way.

On a different note, I think you could make an argument that U2 was the most influential 80s band.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

I voted Queen out of the bands on that list.

One of my favorite movie moments is in Shaun of the Dead when they start beating a zombie to Don't Stop Me Now (my favorite song)

EDIT: This is because I interpreted the poll as what is your favorite band. I just enjoy Queen more than the others even though some are probably much better.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AG_jr View Post
    Speaking of CCR, I stumbled upon an upsetting discovery the other day. More and more college students are bastardizing the letters CCR to refer to some crappy country band named "Cross Canadian Ragweed".
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't think Cross Canadian Ragweed is nearly as good as Creedence (obviously, although also not as bad as people say they are either) but, I mean, those are their initials, too.
    The Sports Guy on Espn.com's page 2, whines a lot about how Ladanian Tomilnson should not be allowed to be refered to as LT because that was Laurence Taylor's nickname - but I say if they are your actual initials (person or band) then you get to use them.
    It isn't like people are calling them "Creedence" or "The Fab Four" or any other made up nickname.
    Not ideal, but I am ok with it.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't think Cross Canadian Ragweed is nearly as good as Creedence (obviously, although also not as bad as people say they are either) but, I mean, those are their initials, too.

Easydawg and I drank a few beers with CC Ragweed one night at Silky's when they were in town for the Memphis In May Beale Street Music Festival (which isn't on Beale Street).

A drunk Easydawg and CCR make for an interesting evening.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I voted for the Beatles as "best ever", but U2 is still my personal favorite.

An important distinction.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    The Sports Guy on Espn.com's page 2, whines a lot about how Ladanian Tomilnson should not be allowed to be refered to as LT because that was Laurence Taylor's nickname - but I say if they are your actual initials (person or band) then you get to use them.
    It isn't like people are calling them "Creedence" or "The Fab Four" or any other made up nickname.
    Not ideal, but I am ok with it.
    Exactly, CCR or LT are not nicknames, they are initials. I know that those two initials became synonymous with one band and one man because of their popularity, but you cant own initials like you own a nickname.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Exactly, CCR or LT are not nicknames, they are initials. I know that those two initials became synonymous with one band and one man because of their popularity, but you cant own initials like you own a nickname.
    I have no idea why Cross Canadian Ragweed even allowed someone to use those initials. It's all about individuality. Did you know that there was a sorta-popular singer who went by Davy Jones at the same time the Monkees started getting big. That singer changed his named so there would be no association. We know him now as David Bowie. While there is no moral obligation to use different initials, nicknames, etc, I wouldn't want to be associated with someone else's.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Interesting selection of bands. What, 8/9 are from the UK? Not a knock, just sayin...

I think it was McCartney that was quoted as saying "If there were no Carl Perkins, there'd be no Beatles."

Maybe just me, but isn't it kind of interesting how our music got re-cycled, re-packaged, and re-sold to us from UK bands?

ps: I heard that Ike Turner passed away today. RIP. Ike never needed Tina.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    I think it was McCartney that was quoted as saying "If there were no Carl Perkins, there'd be no Beatles."
    Actually - I think it was Lennon who said that if there was never a Chuck Berry there would never had been the Beatles...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    skynard? the best EVER? really? alright. one vote for skynyrd. they were the first group i eliminated from my long list. i figured the allman brothers were better, but i wound up cutting them, too.
    Damn dude, You are getting close to losing your "Live in the South" credentials!

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Actually - I think it was Lennon who said that if there was never a Chuck Berry there would never had been the Beatles...
    Latter day pop artists who would acknowledge the influence of Carl Perkins include Rick Nelson, John Fogerty, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, and Paul McCartney, who said "If there were no Carl Perkins, there would be no Beatles."
    http://www.history-of-rock.com/perkins.htm

Lennon did say, however, "If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."

+ Reply to Thread