+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playoff System from Santa??

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Re: Playoff System from Santa??

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66 View Post
    I think the money generated by the bowls or a playoff system or whatever should be divided by every school in the land. What a boost for higher education instead of just the rich getting richer.
    That would be the smart thing to do. The bottom line is that it is JUST a game. If the bowls generate a lot of money great! Put that money where it is ESSENTIAL for our democracy to work . . . education across the country.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I do agree we should have a 16 team playoff. However I don't think we should use the BCS to determine the top-16 teams. I think the 11 conference champions plus the next 5 highest ranked teams should go to the playoffs and be seeded after that. If you can't win your conference or be the in the group of the next 5 highest ranked teams you don't deserve to be in the playoffs. This year that would handle the Georgia, USC gripes and eliminate al the gripes from the non-bcs teams. If a Tennessee or Miss St. is pissed that they are in a tougher conference than the CUSA champ, and they are mad the CUSA champ is going and they are not, they need to remember that under the current system they wouldn't be playing for the national championship anyways. Pick which bowls you want to be a part of this. Rotate the championship bowl just like you currently do. The bowls that are left out will still invite teams that are leftover just like they do now. The bowls that are chosen to host the playoff games can move up to the better 2nd rounds or championship games based on their payout. I would seed the playoffs based on BCS or AP rankings though. So if USC didn't win their conference but Troy did, USC would still be seeded higher.

Makes perfectly, good, common sense. Which is exactly why the NCAA will never implement it.:bigcry:

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    That would be the smart thing to do. The bottom line is that it is JUST a game. If the bowls generate a lot of money great! Put that money where it is ESSENTIAL for our democracy to work . . . education across the country.

Exactly. Now all we need to do is find a state senator from a powerful state that does not routinely reap the rewards of the bc$b$ and bombard him with letters and email.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    On a happier note, no Sunbelt school would ever get to a bowl game.
    ...which is exactly why I'm skeptical of a playoff system. Unless they are going to give the conference champion (given they have a winning record) of every FBS conference an invite, the system will be just as flawed as it is now and there is no reason to go to a playoff.

Varsity Bulldog BrettStah42 has turned a few heads around hereBrettStah42 has turned a few heads around hereBrettStah42 has turned a few heads around here

My personal favorite 16-team system would be what's described by Bigdog13 (all conference champs, then 5-highest ranked teams).

If it's going to be an NCAA-sanctioned playoff, it will probably HAVE to be something along those lines.

If it's still going to be outside the direct control of the NCAA, then we may see something like this for a 16-team playoff - the top 8-ranked conference champs, then the next highest-ranked teams not already in the playoffs. A special rule to makes sure that undefeated teams are always included should be also be implemented under such a system. This system will keep some of the non-BCS conference champs out, but not if they're having a great season, such as Boise State, Hawaii, Marshall, Tulane, etc. have had in the past decade or so...

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Two thing that we will NEVER see...

1. Doing away with the BCS system. (we will only see continued tweaks)

2. A 16 team playoff.

With the talk of a plus one that would involve the top four teams I think it is realistic that we could see a plus three involving the top eight teams. That's three extra games of HUGE revenue to the BCS system. From a football fan perspective, how many teams below the top 8 this year do you consider to be the best?

The problem with this type system is that it would be VERY difficult for a BSU or Hawaii to crack the top 8. I have no doubt that Tech would break into the top 8 if undefeated because they would surely have played at least two BCS foes in an undefeated season.:icon_wink:

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

I agree that the BCS is here to stay and we will never see a 16 team playoff. What I do see in the future and this is just me, but I do think we will see a playoff. For me it's not that complicated..Keep the BCS system with the polls and computer rankings, play all the Bowl games as is, have them done by January 1 (like in the old days..I'm much to young to have just said that..lol)..Rank the teams again after the bowl games are done.

Then have the top four teams, from the rankings, play after the bowls, (this way ALL the BCS bowl games are more relevant)..kinda like a Final Four Saturday. Then play the BCS Championship game the week before the Super Bowl....(I hate not having football for two weeks after the NFL conference championship games)

The NCAA could make millions just from this kind of playoff system and still have the bowl games to make money too. Sounds simple enough, at least to me...but what do I know, I only graduated from Tech (TWICE)...lol
    Last edited by Tdawg87; 12-11-2007 at 01:36 PM.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I do agree we should have a 16 team playoff. However I don't think we should use the BCS to determine the top-16 teams. I think the 11 conference champions plus the next 5 highest ranked teams should go to the playoffs and be seeded after that. If you can't win your conference or be the in the group of the next 5 highest ranked teams you don't deserve to be in the playoffs. This year that would handle the Georgia, USC gripes and eliminate al the gripes from the non-bcs teams. If a Tennessee or Miss St. is pissed that they are in a tougher conference than the CUSA champ, and they are mad the CUSA champ is going and they are not, they need to remember that under the current system they wouldn't be playing for the national championship anyways. Pick which bowls you want to be a part of this. Rotate the championship bowl just like you currently do. The bowls that are left out will still invite teams that are leftover just like they do now. The bowls that are chosen to host the playoff games can move up to the better 2nd rounds or championship games based on their payout. I would seed the playoffs based on BCS or AP rankings though. So if USC didn't win their conference but Troy did, USC would still be seeded higher.
    I agree with Bigdog....

This is a scenario that's been suggested before on here and I think it's the only one that really makes sense. The first round of games could be played on campus, with home decided by seeding. If properly designed, this system has the potential to generate much more money overall than the current mess. It could generate the kind of real excitement that March Madness does.

All of the BCS CEO's arguments against this for "college football" like ....a) Too many games,
    b)Too hard on the players, c)Makes the players miss too much school (LOL) ... and etc etc.

Aren't these guys aware that Div 1AA, Div II, and Div III have had "college football" playoffs for the last 30 years?? And as far as I know, they all play by the same rules as Div 1A. So all those arguments are hot air. It's really about the money. And under a 16 team playoff there could be even more money!!!! Duh!!!!

+ Reply to Thread