+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Users

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Linux Users

So, I've been playing around with Linux since May, and so far I've pretty much stuck with Ubuntu (and other Debian-based distros), plus a foray into PCLOS.

I'm wondering if some of you Linux users can sell me on other distros, or at least give me the pros and cons of distros you've tried.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: Linux Users

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    So, I've been playing around with Linux since May, and so far I've pretty much stuck with Ubuntu (and other Debian-based distros), plus a foray into PCLOS.

I'm wondering if some of you Linux users can sell me on other distros, or at least give me the pros and cons of distros you've tried.
    Brian,

I've heard good things about Cent, but can't vouch for it myself. I've been out of the Linux scene for a bit. I believe there's a Louisiana Tech Linux User Group. I see their paraphanellia in Nethken all the time. Let me see if I can find the the URL to their page. I'll edit this in a bit...

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by playdablues View Post
    Thank you.

Varsity Bulldog ULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your time ULM_Fan's Avatar

I'm a little late here, but thought I would chime in.
    I've been an Ubuntu user for just over two years, and its my distro of choice. You may want to try out Linux Mint, which is built on Ubuntu. It has a few nice additions like a new applications menu and mp3 support out of the box. If you ever feel like branching out from Debian based distros then Zenwalk (slackware base) is a good one. Its super fast and very stable. Its great for older machines.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

I am running the BleedTechBlue.com website on a CentOS box. I have had no problems out of it. Nice and lean.

JFord

Quote Originally Posted by ULM_Fan View Post
    I've been an Ubuntu user for just over two years, and its my distro of choice. You may want to try out Linux Mint, which is built on Ubuntu. It has a few nice additions like a new applications menu and mp3 support out of the box. If you ever feel like branching out from Debian based distros then Zenwalk (slackware base) is a good one. Its super fast and very stable. Its great for older machines.
    Ubuntu remains my distro of choice, though I am running LinuxMint on my laptop. It may become my distro of choice, but I'm actually not a huge fan of the Windows-esque menu, and I typically move my panel to the right and make it transparent. This works great in Ubuntu, but it does weird things in LinuxMint. Nevertheless, next LM release I may give it a test run on my desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by jford View Post
    I am running the BleedTechBlue.com website on a CentOS box. I have had no problems out of it. Nice and lean.

JFord
    Thanks, I'll look into that and Zenwalk.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

I used to be a Redhat guy. Started Ubuntu with Feisty Fawn and I'm still in love with it. (Despite some basic issues I have with all Linux OSes) I've also used Mandrake/Mandriva and didn't have any complaints, it's just that Ubuntu has such an established user base and support. It's also really easy to install. For regular use, I can't come up wih a good reason to use another distribution.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Yeah, I've been on Ubuntu for a few years now. It's also what I use at work. It's very very nice.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    Yeah, I've been on Ubuntu for a few years now. It's also what I use at work. It's very very nice.
    So it seems like I sort of started at the top of the heap, and now that I want to branch out there is nowhere to go but down.

I burned Zenwalk the other day and may poke around in that. I have two main interests in Linux distros: out-of-the-box usability (including as much scalability and control from the GUI as possible) and being very small and efficient. If I can find one that does both without much of a trade-off I will be in heaven.

I tried installing a server edition of Ubuntu and adding components to it, but when I compared my Feisty install like that with a plain install of Gutsy there wasn't much performance difference.

As fare as Zenwalk being faster, does that hold true if you use one of the bigger DEs, like Gnome? I have come to prefer Gnome, but it is bulky. In the past I have tried installing an Ubuntu command-line system and adding just minimal Gnome and other packages, but the performance difference between that and a full Ubuntu install is rather modest.

I wonder, though, if Gnome in Zenwalk should be faster than Ubuntu. What are your thoughts?

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

I installed Fedora this past weekend and have been liking it. It's been a while since I've run any Linux distro, so I don't know how the others are now. I didn't have any headache installing anything with it. The biggest problem was getting the driver for my HP Color LaserJet 2600N, but that was just a matter of finding it and following the directions.

Varsity Bulldog ULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your time ULM_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I wonder, though, if Gnome in Zenwalk should be faster than Ubuntu. What are your thoughts?
    I can almost guarantee that it would run faster. I've tried Xubuntu, which uses the same window manager as Zenwalk and Zenwalk blew it away. However, if you want to install gnome, I would recommend using plain old Slackware (which is what Zenwalk is based on).

I can almost guarantee that it would run faster. I've tried Xubuntu, which uses the same window manager as Zenwalk and Zenwalk blew it away. However, if you want to install gnome, I would recommend using plain old Slackware (which is what Zenwalk is based on).
    I keep planning on trying Zenwalk or Slackware. I burned a Zenwalk CD, but couldn't get it to recognize my virtual disk. I am hesitant to install it on "bare metal" before trying it in a VM, mainly because I'm nervous about Lilo and how well it will play with my other installed OSes. Slackware seems a little primitive for my limited experience with Linux.

I still vacillate between wanting a system that "just works," e.g., a slightly bloated full Ubuntu install, or one that is "just the basics" that may run a little more efficiently and has "only" the packages and programs I really use. At present I am satisfied with a full-on Gutsy install, and really don't notice much performance difference between it and my scaled down Feisty install on the same machine.

In any event, this has been really fun for me, and I am continually amazed at how much you can do for free these days (and without violating any licenses or copyright laws).

I'm in the same boat you're in. For daily use, I choose Ubuntu cause it "just works". On my older machines and servers, however, I tend to lean more towards faster distros for obvious reasons. I go back and forth with different OSes. Its just fun to tinker around with it.

On a side note, since you're using Ubuntu
    Have you tried "Remastersys" for Ubuntu/Mint systems?
    You run it, and it basically backs up your entire OS (config files, shortcuts, wallpaper, and everything) and spits out an iso that can be burned to a cd or dvd. You can then boot off the cd exactly like you would the ubuntu live cd, and there is your customized desktop. You can play around in the live environment or install it. I've been playing with it for about a month and its a great way to backup your stuff in case something goes crazy.

check it out when you get the time
    http://www.remastersys.klikit.org/

+ Reply to Thread