+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Cowboy Roy Williams Thug Move

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Another Cowboy Roy Williams Thug Move

I'll pile on the cowboys just as quick as the next guy, but this is a bad rule. It's football. The suspension is ridiculous because the rule is ridiculous.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Because Roy Williams lacks discipline and has done this at least 4 times in the last 2 seasons. He just will not stop himself from doing it. Repeat offenders should get more than a slap on the wrist. And the fines don't seem to be getting his attention. You guys just wait and see what happens when some poor guy gets his neck or back broken due to Roy breaking this rule. Besides, I just hate dirty football and players muchless those that risk the health of their fellow players/man.
    Did you see the tackle on McNabb, Ray? It was illegal under the rules, but was not violent, and didn't seem to have much chance of injuring anyone.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like there was a rash of injuries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-collar_tackle

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Seems like there was a rash of injuries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-collar_tackle
    I agree with that article. The danger in the tackle is not so much to the neck or back as it is to the lower body, which can get twisted easily with that kind of tackle.

Back to my original point, though. How many people have ever been fined for face mask violations, unless it was obvous they were trying to hurt someone? I didn't see that sort of intent in the tackle of McNabb Sunday. Williams just reached out and grabbed whatever he could grab and pulled him down.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Watch these Cowboy fans scream when and if Romo gets hurt by a similar tackle. What if an Eagle would have retaliated against Romo Sunday with a identical horesecaller tackle and broke his leg and ankle or worse?

Like I said, I don't care who does it or by what team. It's against the rules and endangers the player. And a repeat offender needs to get hammered for his lack of discipline and caring about his fellow player.

Watch these Cowboy fans scream when and if Romo gets hurt by a similar tackle. What if an Eagle would have retaliated against Romo Sunday with a identical horesecaller tackle and broke his leg and ankle or worse?

Like I said, I don't care who does it or by what team. It's against the rules and endangers the player. And a repeat offender needs to get hammered for his lack of discipline and caring about his fellow player.
    Maybe so. It just didn't seem like much of a big deal when I saw it happen.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Maybe so. It just didn't seem like much of a big deal when I saw it happen.
    Watch the video in this USA Today article.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...le-focus_x.htm

The actual tackle on McNabb
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APM6mNVCVY

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

B.S. if someone on the Seattle Seahawks would have done it you wouldn't have given it a second thought. It's not about the horse collar rule. It's only about you hating the Cowboys.

Watch the video in this USA Today article.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...le-focus_x.htm

The actual tackle on McNabb
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APM6mNVCVY
    OK, I looked at the tackle of McNabb over and over on the Youtube video. I can see how McNabb could have hurt a knee or something. I don't think Williams intentionally horse collared him, that's just what he ended up getting hold of.

It's a tough thing for the defensive man. He's trying to catch the guy from behind and he's grabbing at whatever he can get. Someone made athe point, no wonder there are so many missed tackles. You have to be realy particular about what you grab.

I guess it's necessary for them to really enforce it, because it does put an enormous stress on the knees and legs, but I don't think Williams deserves the thug label for it. He was just trying to make a tackle.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

It's one thing to grab someone's collar while you are tackling them. It's something else to grab their collar and throw your body into the back of their legs (as Williams does), which can result in serious knee or ankle injury. A bad knee injury can end someone's career costing them millions in lost income, so it's a good rule for the NFL. Having it banned in high school and NCAA is also not a bad idea.

This rule was created BECAUSE OF Roy Williams, yet he continues to do it. He has been fined for it repeatedly, but won't stop, so now he's suspended.

I also agree that the Pats got away with a huge "horse collar" at the one yard line against the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    It's one thing to grab someone's collar while you are tackling them. It's something else to grab their collar and throw your body into the back of their legs (as Williams does), which can result in serious knee or ankle injury. A bad knee injury can end someone's career costing them millions in lost income, so it's a good rule for the NFL. Having it banned in high school and NCAA is also not a bad idea.

This rule was created BECAUSE OF Roy Williams, yet he continues to do it. He has been fined for it repeatedly, but won't stop, so now he's suspended.

I also agree that the Pats got away with a huge "horse collar" at the one yard line against the Jets.
    I am not running for the job of Roy Williams apologist, but I don't see that on the McNabb tackle. Is that the one you are talking about?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I'm with ya Ray -

Suspend him more games and trade him to the Saints -

There is a BIG part of me who would rather see the Cowboys lose than the Saints win -

I think the Saints will get em in the Divisional Round and beat em!

In all seriousness - I think the most brutal, flagrant hit was the helmet to helmet one that Hamlin put on the Eagles receiver - that was a vicious hit with a malice intent -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I am not running for the job of Roy Williams apologist, but I don't see that on the McNabb tackle. Is that the one you are talking about?
    The McNabb tackle wasn't nearly as bad as the others, you are right. But, with McNabb being such a high profile, highly paid QB (also coming off of major knee surgery) they can't ignore it, since the intent of this rule is to avoid leg injuries.

Normally Williams pulls their upper body backwards as his body flys into their legs, bending their ankles forward and twisting their knees as they run full speed. I actually like Roy Williams because I like OU and I always liked the way he beat up Texas (especially the "Superman" play). But, when a rule is created specifically for the actions of one guy, and that guy continues to disregard the rule, the league has to take action.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I'm with ya Ray -

Suspend him more games and trade him to the Saints -

There is a BIG part of me who would rather see the Cowboys lose than the Saints win -

I think the Saints will get em in the Divisional Round and beat em!

In all seriousness - I think the most brutal, flagrant hit was the helmet to helmet one that Hamlin put on the Eagles receiver - that was a vicious hit with a malice intent -
    I agree on all accounts Dwayne!

And in all honesty I'm still waiting on the league to fine Hamlin as well. I hope it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    B.S. if someone on the Seattle Seahawks would have done it you wouldn't have given it a second thought. It's not about the horse collar rule. It's only about you hating the Cowboys.
    You already know I hate the Cowboys of most of Jerry Jones' era. But your wrong about any other player doing this over and over again. I don't care who it is on what team....SUSPEND THEM! Period

What would Tom Landry, being a HC and former DB, have done with Roy Williams???

+ Reply to Thread