+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your INPUT is being sought -

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Re: Your INPUT is being sought -

1. Yes. I think it is good to use the shorter "La Tech" particularly during play by play. Louisiana has a needless 4 syllables. During pregame and recaps, I prefer Louisiana Tech, but don't mind La Tech.

2. The only negative I've ever heard was that it has a drawl. "LaaaaTech". I like the abbreviated version. I can't think of another school of note that uses a 6 syllable word as it's only identifier. Maybe Air Force Academy... Still, I would put it as the late great Mitch Hedberg would probably put it: "It's time to embrace the abbreviation".

Heh. Pennsylvania State. That doesn't sound right at all.

Also, I like the identity that La Tech gives better than LTU. Just look at our helmet. Even if someone has never heard of our school, they know who the helmet belongs to. I've switched onto a basketball game that was being televised and it took me a second to realize it was the right game since the scoreboard was using LTU.

3. I think Louisiana Tech has already committed itself to LA Tech and just doesn't know it yet. As Jay said, it was used for latech.edu and latechsports.com. When these are verbalized, it's "La Tech dot e. d. u." not "l. a. Tech dot e. d. u.". The significance of the national media using this and not Tech is that the national media has a better handle on what the nation is referring to us as. They probably did not create LA Tech, they probably picked up on it. I think the fact that Louisiana Tech the university hasn't been using this shows either strict brand protection or a disconnect from the masses. I think that they stand very little to lose by adopting La Tech.

4. When I am in south Louisiana, most of the time Louisiana Tech is referred to as LA Tech. I see no negatives associated with the adoption of La Tech. I do not think it weakens branding. Any time a change is introduced some people in the fan base will react negatively. However, I don't see most of the fan base being bothered by this. Many fans use it occasionally already. If anything this would represent some positive change and obvious proof that someone is paying attention to the marketing of Louisiana Tech athletics, so even if they don't like the change, they like what the change represents.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    I'm guessing Eric & Adam will be looking at this thread for feedback?
    Yes they will -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

1. Do you like the use of La Tech when referring to the athletic teams?
    No - I hate La Tech - used to not bother me, but it is used in a demeaning way I think on Baton Rouge talk radio. I've grown to hate it down here. I now never say it.
    1. Why do you like/dislike the words La Tech? See above.
    2. What do you feel is the significance of the national media using La Tech and we still only refer to us as Louisiana Tech? I don't hear the national media calling us La Tech. I think quality athletic programs will be a much better way to get recognition than what we are called by the media. I laugh every time I hear Louisiana Lafayette called simply Louisiana because I know that is not their name and they're trying to be pretenders.
    3. Why would we not adopt the use of La Tech in addition to Louisiana Tech? Would the fan base ever embrace La Tech? If y'all give me quality athletic programs that I can be proud of, I won't be bothered by whatever ya'll decide we want to be called. I work with a Virginia Tech grad and he never calls it Va Tech. I hear LSU and other media folks do it all the time - they generally aren't meaning it nicely either.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique View Post
    GaTech, VaTech LaTech all sound silly and when announcers say them it sometimes is hard to tell which they have said. Web site names and such may be nice when shortened. It hurts my hands to type at all. And errors occur when anyone types in a long name.

But using LaTech in a news release or on a jersey or in our own conversations or on a sign is just plain wrong. I would like to encourage people to pronounce Louisiana and spell it correctly. LTU are the initials of the actual name. I was happy with LPI when those letters represented the actual name. Louisiana Tech is no big burden to say or write when referring to our alma mater.

Please don't use it in recruiting, fund-raising or any publication sent out from the university.

It still sounds like a derisive short-hand, knick-name, a lazy reference to something of insignificance.

It lacks dignity.

DeWayne: Do you remember my once bringing up the pluralization of the noun "revenue." I think you said it was just the easy way to say "types of revenue or sources of revenue." And I think I said something to the effect that nouns of mass or bulk or whatever do not mean anything different when an S is added. No matter how much revenue one collects, he still has only revenue not revenues. No matter how much money someone collects and how he allots the money, he still only has money not monies. Trying to create a plural word for something that already consists of multiple parts is just wrong. People who feel sorrow don't experience "sorrows" except in poetry or song for the sake of rhyme but not in standard use.
    Something is just plain wrong about LATech or LaTech. If the A is capitalized, it can be confused with some night school in Los Angeles. I take pride in pronouncing Louisiana cleanly and fully. I may say Missippi in derision, as in "Missippi Suthen."
    Let's continue to insist on Louisiana Tech as the proper reference in all uses possible. Our "PR folk" should be strong in this effort!
    What about Ole Miss, UConn, and Pitt? Are those derogative? I agree with the La vs. LA don't want people thinking we are in Los Angeles. I would rather someone say "Lah Tech" than "Loseiana Tech".

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    What about Ole Miss, UConn, and Pitt? Are those derogative? I agree with the La vs. LA don't want people thinking we are in Los Angeles. I would rather someone say "Lah Tech" than "Loseiana Tech".
    You also can include SEMO, UMass, Zags for Gonzaga, Cal, Missou.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Not Really. I think it sounds bad. But, if an abbreviation is needed due to the amount of syllables is Louisiana, then it is an option.
    1. Why do you like/dislike the words La Tech?
    It is usually used in a derogatory manner by those not associated with Tech.
    1. What do you feel is the significance of the national media using La Tech and we still only refer to us as Louisiana Tech?
    The national media does not want to pronounce Louisiana.
    1. Why would we not adopt the use of La Tech in addition to Louisiana Tech? Would the fan base ever embrace La Tech?
    I know some fans will not embrace it. But I have no idea how many.

Another idea: why not use LT in addition to, or in place of, La Tech?

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

I have no problem with La Tech. It rolls off of the tongue easily and gives us a unique identity in the rest of the country.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I am fine with it

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    Lah tee dah LATech. I don't like the way it sounds but its no worse than GATech (Guh!-Tech) or VATech (Vah-Tech) ...
    That is the reason I originally did not like it! I used to work with arrogant SOB's that would make fun of LAH Tech. Since I no longer work with them, I can at least tolerate it now.
    Go Tech!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I personally do not prefer "La Tech". It sounds like something on a Mexican menu. Try saying in your best Cheech Marin voice: "Ey mang! Can we can some more la tech over here, amigo?" See what I mean?

But it's not a deal breaker for me, either. It's already become quite prevalent, and I can certainly see the utility of it for play-by-play or score tickers. And it's better than "Lolly Polly".

Just be sure people avoid LA Tech or (geesh!) L.A. Tech. Those look like we're from Los Angeles.

And please promise that LaTech remains secondary to Louisiana Tech, particularly on campus and on any merchandise or apparel.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

I don't mind people saying LaTech much, but I would not like to see it used as an official wordmark by the Athletic Dept or University. I think it's good for announcers to use, it is short and unique like people have said, but as an official wordmark I think it would be better to stick with "Louisiana Tech" or just "Tech" - it looks more distinguished and official, LaTech kind of looks cheezy in print, I think.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    I don't mind people saying LaTech much, but I would not like to see it used as an official wordmark by the Athletic Dept or University. I think it's good for announcers to use, it is short and unique like people have said, but as an official wordmark I think it would be better to stick with "Louisiana Tech" or just "Tech" - it looks more distinguished and official, LaTech kind of looks cheezy in print, I think.
    "LT" would be a good "wordmark" in addition to "Louisiana Tech" or "Tech".

I think we should try "LT", as long as there are no trademark issues barring its use.

and "latech" does look cheesy.
    Last edited by 9701Dawg; 12-19-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

I will never buy merchandise that has "LaTech" on it and I hope I never see any.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

2. Why do you like/dislike the words La Tech?
    3. What do you feel is the significance of the national media using La Tech and we still only refer to us as Louisiana Tech?
    4. Why would we not adopt the use of La Tech in addition to Louisiana Tech? Would the fan base ever embrace La Tech?

1. No
    2. It sound effeminate. I go to school with DROVES of Auburn grads and they all remember fondly cheering "LAAAAHHHH TECH" in 1999 during their game with Bama.
    3. I don't see any significance.
    4. Why would we? I would not embrace it...I can't speak for the others.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Varsity Bulldog Dallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really nice Dallasbb's Avatar

Do you like the use of La Tech when referring to the athletic teams?
    Yes

Why do you like/dislike the words La Tech?
    Several local in-state colleges now go with Louisiana (Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette, etc). La Tech stands out alone. nothing wrong with using the entire name of the state but I just think it stands apart from the rest.

What do you feel is the significance of the national media using La Tech and we still only refer to us as Louisiana Tech?
    Because it's in sync with their abbreviated pronunciations of other Tech related schools and I think that goes back to my point above (it stands apart from the other in-state schools).

Why would we not adopt the use of La Tech in addition to Louisiana Tech? Would the fan base ever embrace La Tech?
    Maybe the older generation would never embrace it. But with the many new options to market your product in today's Internet driven society, why not abopt La. Tech. Younger gen x'ers will identify with it as those that attend Va. Tech, Ga. Tech, etc.

+ Reply to Thread