+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Your INPUT is being sought -

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Re: Your INPUT is being sought -

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    I like it.

When a casual fan is watching football I don't want him to try and figure out who Fresno St.(substitute any team) is playing. He should look at the score and say "Damn, La Tech is kicking Mississippi State's(again substitute anyone of your liking) ass. Wow the game is at La Tech!"

With the simple "tech" or "ltu" on the scoreboard he might say "who the hell is kicking Mississippi State's ass?"

Even if we don't like it, it is an identity. Like it or not there is more than one Tech in D-1. And right now we are the least known.

I don't expect Tech fan's to say La Tech, to us it will always be Tech. It's the casual fan I'm worried about. The same goes with shirts. A blue "Tech Football," shirt will make less imformed people wonder. A "La Tech" shirt will get the point across. I know people hate to hear LSU, but they are a prime example of getting casual fans. Most "LSU fans" are ill informed morons. I wish would could get some of those morons.
    Good points, I agree. But on shirts I say keep with Louisiana Tech. I don't like "LA Tech" on merchandise. My basic idea would be LaTech is acceptable to say, but not print.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    I like it.

When a casual fan is watching football I don't want him to try and figure out who Fresno St.(substitute any team) is playing. He should look at the score and say "Damn, La Tech is kicking Mississippi State's(again substitute anyone of your liking) ass. Wow the game is at La Tech!"

With the simple "tech" or "ltu" on the scoreboard he might say "who the hell is kicking Mississippi State's ass?"

Even if we don't like it, it is an identity. Like it or not there is more than one Tech in D-1. And right now we are the least known.
    I remember when Holland caught that one handed TD against Nebraska...I was at a pizza pub in Little Rock and heard ppl around me say "did you see that 'La Tech' TD?".

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    Good points, I agree. But on shirts I say keep with Louisiana Tech. I don't like "LA Tech" on merchandise. My basic idea would be LaTech is acceptable to say, but not print.
    If we are going to adopt it...I say we go all out and market it, put it on merchadise. I'll buy it. I hope ppl are not thinking we are going to replace our "Louisiana Tech" name but include "La Tech" as an extra identifier for our school.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    I agree. I'd prolly never buy anything that said la tech in big print.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

If we are winning football and basketball games then everyone can call us whatever they want - I just want teams we can be pround of!!!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by okiealdawg View Post
    If we are winning football and basketball games then everyone can call us whatever they want - I just want teams we can be pround of!!!
    Amen

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

1. Do you like the use of La Tech when referring to the athletic teams?

I hate the lower capped "A" for Louisiana. I much prefer "LA TECH". The "A" must be capitalized. It's bolder, stronger, and grammatically correct. It also serves as a solid identifier of the state we represent.

2. Why do you like/dislike the words La Tech?

The proper abbreviation for the state of Louisiana is "LA", not "La". So, besides being gramatically incorrect, "La (pronounced Lah) Tech" looks and sounds too feminine. For branding, the bold letters need to be "LA TECH". That's cool and bold.....kinda like "BAMA" is for the Crimson Tide. Remember, we're talking marketing and branding here....."La Tech" is not cool. LA TECH is. In newsprint, I have no problem with "LA Tech". Just remember, the "LA" should always be capitalized. During a broadcast, I prefer the announcers simply call us "TECH", or Louisiana Tech.

3. What do you feel is the significance of the national media using La Tech and we still only refer to us as Louisiana Tech?

The leadership at LA TECH is guilty of allowing the national media to brand (or stigmatize?) all of our sports teams instead of providing the guidence they need to reach a conclusion we prefer. That's our fault, not the national media's. For the most part, the national media will call you what you prefer. We simply need to communicate a clear and distinct message. This entire thread proves we haven't done this.

4. Why would we not adopt the use of La Tech in addition to Louisiana Tech? Would the fan base ever embrace La Tech?

Again, there is a distinct difference between "La Tech" and "LA TECH". Which are you referring to? I will never support a "La Tech" in print or a "Lah Tech" in sound. I much prefer "LA TECH" in merchandise, a "LA Tech" in print, and "Tech" or Louisiana Tech" in sound.

This seems so simple to me.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 01-02-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Has anything ever not seemed simple to you, HD?

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I greatly prefer to be called Louisiana Tech. I do not like La Tech.

If people can take the time to say Miami of Ohio or North Carolina they can say Louisiana Tech.

That our identity is muddled is very clear with all of the recent national commentator snafu's where we have been confused with ULM or ULM confused with us. It points out the need for our media people to work on our identity and how we are perceived. I'm very glad they have asked the question.

Recognizing that people want a quick abbreviation to refer to schools with long names such as UCLA, Cal State or University of Texas, why not push L-A Tech (not La Tech but the letters L then A then Tech)? I would much prefer 'L-A Tech' to 'La Tech' and I think would be a step toward building our "brand" recognition.

For instance, it has the potential of being a recognizable chant. I believe fans would chant 'L-A-Tech, L-A-Tech, L-A-Tech' similar to what you hear from that other university in south Louisiana. To me, 'L-T-U, L-T-U, L-T-U' isn't going to happen and I don't want to hear 'La-Tech, La Tech, La Tech'. If commentators hear it in this manner and we push the idea, with time we would have an identifiable moniker.

Maybe this is all wet and doesn't appeal to anyone but me. Thoughts?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

L-A sounds too much like Los Angeles - as in UCLA.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Noticed on one of the kids shirts today a State T logo with "TECH BULLDOGS" underneath.

Simple, but probably my favorite identifier for Tech.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    I agree. I'd prolly never buy anything that said la tech in big print.
    I'd happily buy a shirt that said

LA Tech
    2008 WAC Baseball Champions

... course I'd also buy one that spelled out Louisiana, as long as the message was the same.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

What if the school does adopt "La Tech" as a short hand nickname, would you accept it?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Has anything ever not seemed simple to you, HD?
    Champ967, don't let my confidence deter you from exercising your common sense. Afterall, I'm more than just a pretty face ......

I learned a long time ago that some people will make anything difficult......they have a hard time just putting on their underwear. They can't seem to make the right decisons even though the right answers are slapping them in the face.

I'm not one of those people.

However, I do think Jim Oakes might fit into this categotry.

HD

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    What if the school does adopt "La Tech" as a short hand nickname, would you accept it?
    I don't have a problem with it. The nation has pretty much already gone there. Sometimes, resistence is futile. I actually see it as a good thing, kinda like Miami and The U.

+ Reply to Thread