+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long's legacy

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Re: Long's legacy

The only way that Long would not be back as head coach next year would be if Leon has an interest in comming back out of retirement. Hypethetically speaking, what will be said if he comes back next year with the same talent and they don't do better than this year will the same ones be calling for Leon's head?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    The only way that Long would not be back as head coach next year would be if Leon has an interest in comming back out of retirement. Hypethetically speaking, what will be said if he comes back next year with the same talent and they don't do better than this year will the same ones be calling for Leon's head?
    Same talent and not do better? You're joking, right?

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Very serious last time I checked Barmore couldn't shoot free throws, layups or three pointers during the game. He can't make passes in the game, all he can do is coach from the sideline when the players step on the floor it is completely up to them to make or not make the plays and shots.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

The only way that Long would not be back as head coach next year would be if Leon has an interest in comming back out of retirement.
    Do you have some inside information to this effect? To this point, I believe DR has wrecked the program out of incompetence. If we don't have a new coach next year, I will believe he is purposely trying to destroy the program.
    ________
    Suzuki Apv History
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    Do you have some inside information to this effect? To this point, I believe DR has wrecked the program out of incompetence. If we don't have a new coach next year, I will believe he is purposely trying to destroy the program.
    I have no inside information that Leon is interested in comming back but I do know that DR is the one that decides who stays and goes within the athletic program. I am going to say something that is very very very unpopular on here but the AD has no more control over what goes on in that program than any of us have and while I get the feeling he isn't very popular with the fans and alot of people within the program but he is just the figure head it is DR that makes ALL the decisions and until DR is no longer president of the university no matter who comes in as the AD it will not change.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no inside information that Leon is interested in comming back but I do know that DR is the one that decides who stays and goes within the athletic program. I am going to say something that is very very very unpopular on here but the AD has no more control over what goes on in that program than any of us have and while I get the feeling he isn't very popular with the fans and alot of people within the program but he is just the figure head it is DR that makes ALL the decisions and until DR is no longer president of the university no matter who comes in as the AD it will not change.
    Not an unpopular statement at all.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Not an unpopular statement at all.
    I just hear alot of people talking about how awful Oakes is but no matter who it is in that position they have absolutely no control over anything. Oakes has no say in anything in that department he is given assignments to do and he is nothing more than a name on the door. I have talked to several people that say he is a good guy but has no control in the operations of our programs. He is the Sonja Hogg of the athletic department only problem is DR is no Barmore.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

What I am wondering is why you think DR will not bring in a new coach next year. Is it because you have some inside information or is it just a guess on your part.
    ________
    Ford Information
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    What I am wondering is why you think DR will not bring in a new coach next year. Is it because you have some inside information or is it just a guess on your part.
    Little of it all, part hunch, part guess and little insider information. I am in no way saying that I think Long should be gotten rid of, I am just saying that unless Barmore wanted to come back is the only way DR would take the steps to make any kind of move.
    DR would have a big problem getting rid of a coach that first and foremost has a winning overall record with the program and secondly if the Techsters return to the NCAA tournament. From a recruiting stand point it would be a nightmare if Tech was to let Long go if they make the post season and have a winning record. The message to the recruit would be you have no stability with who the people are that will be instructing you at this university.
    I think that if the Techsters have a losing record and don't make the NCAA tournament that it would open the door for DR but that is the only way it will happen.
    I have the utmost faith in the current coaching staff and the current players and hope that they can continue moving forward the rest of the season.
    I know I will hear a winning record isn't enough and I agree to some extent but I have no clue what the benchmarks of his contract include and unless others have that information all we can do is speculate on what DR is thinking.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Little of it all, part hunch, part guess and little insider information. I am in no way saying that I think Long should be gotten rid of, I am just saying that unless Barmore wanted to come back is the only way DR would take the steps to make any kind of move.
    DR would have a big problem getting rid of a coach that first and foremost has a winning overall record with the program and secondly if the Techsters return to the NCAA tournament. From a recruiting stand point it would be a nightmare if Tech was to let Long go if they make the post season and have a winning record. The message to the recruit would be you have no stability with who the people are that will be instructing you at this university.
    I think that if the Techsters have a losing record and don't make the NCAA tournament that it would open the door for DR but that is the only way it will happen.
    I have the utmost faith in the current coaching staff and the current players and hope that they can continue moving forward the rest of the season.
    I know I will hear a winning record isn't enough and I agree to some extent but I have no clue what the benchmarks of his contract include and unless others have that information all we can do is speculate on what DR is thinking.
    Wow, philgarris. I do appreciate that you have "utmost faith" in the current coaching staff....I guess I'd like to ask why and what they've done to earn such devotion....I'm being serious, not sarcastic. Please tell me what they've accomplished so far to earn that kind of faith.

Puppy Shock Troop is an unknown

OMG!!!!! I've tried to just sit back, keep my negative comments to myself because I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say, just say nothing at all. BUT, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!! Fanfromafar you are right on the $$$$. I totally agree with you.

1st of all, Long has 8 guards & 1 post player he's trying to convert into a guard (like he needs another guard). No D1 School will ever fare well with that many guards and so few post players. To make matters worse, his up coming recruiting class, has 3 more guards!!!! The future doesn't look any better. So, to whomever thinks, it'll get better, you'd better think again.

P.S. Only 2 of the guards are seniors, there's no juniors, which would tell 'the average coach' to go out & recruit nothing but post players, over 6ft!!

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    To date:

Lost more home games in one season than any other coach. Am I correct on this one?
    Lost to more unrated teams than any other coach. Am I correct on this one?
    Lost by the largest margin ever to ULM. Am I correct on this one?

Set a new Techster record in 2006-2007 for most games lost in a row. 4
    Broke his OWN RECORD this season for most games lost in a row. (currently 5)

Lost in the first round of the WAC tourney. I KNOW I'm right on this one.
    Broke the NCAA tournament streak. I KNOW I'm right on this one.

Hasn't beaten a team with a winning record this season. Makes excuses. Even if he DOES end up winning the WAC, it is still a sorry season. The WAC is weaker than ever. And so are the Techsters.

I waited. I backtracked on some of my criticism. I asked others to do the same and give him some room. Unfortunately, all the preseason hype of his recruiting and "abilities" was just that: HYPE.

I'm not saying the players aren't committed and talented young ladies. I AM SAYING that Long is incapable of knowing what to do with them, and made terrible decisions on loading the cupboard this season (and unfortunately next season as well) with under 6 foot guards.

LONG MAY BE PHOTOGENIC, HAVE BETTER HAIR THAN BUDKE, AND FIT IN WITH THE RUSTON CROWD, BUT HE IS A FAILURE AS A COACH AT THIS LEVEL AND HAS SINGLE-HANDEDLY TAKEN THE TECHSTER PROGRAM TO A HISTORIC LOW.

We're not top 100. NO ONE mentions us among even the wannabe elite. The history is in danger of being so far in the past that it will no longer help us.

AM I AMONG THE FEW WHO RECOGNIZE HOW PATHETIC THIS IS? ARE WE GOING TO KEEP SAYING "GIVE HIM SOME TIME" AND "WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR" AND "HE'S REBUILDING THE PROGRAM"?????

This season, so far, has proven my point from last year. The first season under Long was leftover success from Leon and Budke. Hate on Budke all you want, but he never took us this low, this fast.

LONG HAS FAILED. THAT IS FACT. AND THE TECHSTER PROGRAM, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, IS DEAD. IT'S TIME FOR LONG TO GO AND A NEW COACH AND STAFF TO BE PUT IN PLACE.

I don't think Leon would have recruited such an unbalanced team!! Even still, with the same talent, my son's jr. high coach can do better than Long!!!! Are you kidding???

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Fire Long. This is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    Nobody is waiting for LONG anymore. Any contract extentions should cause nothing less than outrage from Tech fans. One more year of LONG and the Techster legacy will be too far gone to recover.
    Extention??? One more year of LONG???? HOW ABOUT GETTING RID OF LONG B4 THE NEXT GAME????!!!! I'm tired of the excuses, the team is young, I'm rebuilding, blah, blah, blah.... So is Fresno but they just whipped us!!!! Blame it on the kids, their shooting, whatever. The bottom line is, Long sucks!!! In his after game interview, I waited 4 the excuses and true to his nature, he said, his guards ran out of gas!! I thought I was going to die. You have a bench full of talented guards, he says, but he said they ran out of gas at the end???!!! Do he stay up at night & think of these excuses?

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Fire Long. This is embarrassing.
    Hopefully his pink slip, no red slip will be waiting for him when he gets back to Ruston!! Lady Techsters use to be an awesome team. Long tries to live on past success, BUT, what has he done since he's been there? He should not be allowed to recruit using the Techsters past because his records are not Former Lady Techster Quality!! Said all that to say, I agree with you, Fire Long!!

+ Reply to Thread