+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long's legacy

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Re: Long's legacy

DR, you should quit telling us we're going from good to great. In actuality things are going from mediocre to embarrassing.

Earn your $270,000 salary, Dan, and do something. This kind of job performance is unacceptable.
    ________
    NINFOMANA
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    Wow, philgarris. I do appreciate that you have "utmost faith" in the current coaching staff....I guess I'd like to ask why and what they've done to earn such devotion....I'm being serious, not sarcastic. Please tell me what they've accomplished so far to earn that kind of faith.
    Hey there FFA,
    I do have the utmost faith in him, they are the coaching staff that is in place and comming from North Louisiana I learned a long time ago that I may not like what all of the members of my family does but they are still my family and I have to have their back at all times. I have supported Long just as I supported Budke and Barmore before him.
    I will always be thankful to the Lady Techsters program for allowing me to dream, without the Lady Techsters I may have never known how much I loved basketball as a kid and possibly would have never pursued a coaching career so due to my love for this program I choose to support the coaches and players that are aligned with the program. I am not saying that I don't have concerns and doubts but I refuse to take shots at people that did nothing more than apply for a job and was hired into a position.
    I look back at all the negative complaining I see on here and just put if into perspective that if this was a co-employee at a company and I was working along side this person (Long) everyday would I go complaining to my coworkers about him or to management or would I just do my job and make sure that I was doing everything that I could to make the company run smoothly.
    I know it wouldn't matter if Long was 22-0 we would still have people complaining just due to some people not wanting to do anything else other than complain and that is what this message board is for.
    BTW FFA hope things are going well for you out there and you had a safe New Years

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Frown Re: Long's legacy

Let's see what CL's excuse will be this time. Will he use the old "Bick-speak" style of "if they hadn't hit all those 3 pointers we would have been right there with them!!" Uh - why can't WE hit 3 pointers??
    Guess I'll have to go back to my half Texas roots & become a Baylor fan. What's their coach's name again??!! :icon_wink:

G
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 01-04-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling error

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Mene Gene do you mean to tell us that you don't pull for Baylor if they were playing any one other than La Tech.
    I always pull for the team with Lady Techsters ties, I pull for Jennifer White who is in Austin coaching at St. Edwards or St Mary's it is one of those saints and Angela Lawson who is at Incarnate Word, Nell who is at Auburn, our girl at UALR so why not pull for Kim at Baylor heck before Kim was there Sonja and Angela got the program back somewhat on the map with some early success.
    Baylor is as close to a Lady Techster model program as you will ever find, I used to work the camp when Sonja and Angela was there all we were missing there was Leon sticking his head in from time to time.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    I know it wouldn't matter if Long was 22-0 we would still have people complaining just due to some people not wanting to do anything else other than complain and that is what this message board is for.

Wrong. If we were 22-0, we would be ranked number 1 or 2 in the country and I would be urging DR to give our coach a raise and an extension. We would have had a standing room only crowd at the LSU game as we humilliated the Lady Tigers. CL would have demonstrated that he is a superb coach. If you come back to reality, however, he has shown himself to be incompetent. I am so fond of our Lady Techsters that I wish DR would dismiss CL today and bring in a coach who is capable of rebuilding the program.
    ________
    Wendie 99
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Thumbs Up Re: Long's legacy

Phil - To be honest, I don't keep up with any of the other school's programs until the NCAA's. Of course, I was pullin' hard for Kim when they played Tennessee in the title game & I'll cheer for any more of the teams w/Techster ties unless they're playing us ( which doesn't seem likely anytime soon! ). I'd kept up w/Gary Blair for the longest but he moves from school to school so often that it's tough now. :icon_wink:
    FWIW - Sonja graduated from my high school in Alexandria ( Bolton High ) & I was @ Tech when the program was being built into what it ONCE was so I feel ties to her as well.

G

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post

Wrong. If we were 22-0, we would be ranked number 1 or 2 in the country and I would be urging DR to give our coach a raise and an extension. We would have had a standing room only crowd at the LSU game as we humilliated the Lady Tigers. CL would have demonstrated that he is a superb coach. If you come back to reality, however, he has shown himself to be incompetent. I am so fond of our Lady Techsters that I wish DR would dismiss CL today and bring in a coach who is capable of rebuilding the program.

I admire people who are able to remain optimistic in the face of this dismal implosion of the Techster program. That said, anyone who can still argue favorably for Long is, in my opinion, blinded by their optimism. Long has done nothing to deserve an extension. Nothing.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    I admire people who are able to remain optimistic in the face of this dismal implosion of the Techster program. That said, anyone who can still argue favorably for Long is, in my opinion, blinded by their optimism. Long has done nothing to deserve an extension. Nothing.
    Sometimes, what you see as blind optimism is, in reality, keeping a strong upper lip and not whining constantly. I am not directing that at you, so please don't misunderstand me. We all have plenty to complain about right now and are all in the boat together. I am just stating that because someone makes supportive posts does not make that person blind.

Speaking for myself, what I see as reality does not always get posted on this forum. Being, what some consider, the resident optimist is not always easy. It beats the heck out of being sour, though. Some people believe that how one views life is how one's life will be.

The Techsters have one strength that 90% of other women's programs do not have. That strength is our fan support. In times like these, that support is needed to give us a boost. It is easy to support a team that is going to final fours. It is VERY difficult to support a team that is not doing so hot. If we want our team to improve, support is the only way to do that. Doesn't matter if you think Long is the coach to do it or not. What matters is what the team sees and hears. The only power we have as fans is for them to hear and see us supporting them. It would go a long way toward getting them over this hump.

Everyone knows that many people do not think Long is the person that can get this team back to where it belongs. However, saying that over and over on a message board will not help matters. In fact, it makes matters much worse. This is a forum that allows for all opinions, so there will be bashing of coaches. That is to be expected. Just because some people (those of us that you call optimists) choose to post supportive things in a time that it is needed, does not mean that we do not see the whole picture.

Champ - The fan support has LONG ago eroded away since CL took over. U may call it "blind loyalty" or "whining" but as for myself, if I can't see some quality basketball skills on the court ( win or lose ) then I won't attend the game. Guess I'm hardly alone in that boat because look at the attendance figures @ the TAC. If fielding a winner doesn't seem to mean much to DR & JO then perhaps losing $$ ( not that the Techsters have ever been a cash machine - although back in the days of packing the old Memorial Gym MAY have turned a small profit ) will get their attention?!
    I remember the days of enjoying Techster basketball because the Ladies not only won but played as a team. Only recently has the men's game ( not specifically Tech's ) come back from the 1 on 1 of the street ball mentality to running set plays for specific results. CL just doesn't seem to have that ability as he tries to run a post oriented game w/o any true post players. Of course, HE recruited the current players so what's his excuse this time? Can't wait until next year 'cause don't we have some more midget guards coming in???

MG
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 01-04-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Add comment

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    Champ - The fan support has LONG ago eroded away since CL took over. U may call it "blind loyalty" or "whining" but as for myself, if I can't see some quality basketball skills on the court ( win or lose ) then I won't attend the game. Guess I'm hardly alone in that boat because look at the attendance figures @ the TAC. If fielding a winner doesn't seem to mean much to DR & JO then perhaps losing $$ ( not that the Techsters have ever been a cash machine - although back in the days of packing the old Memorial Gym MAY have turned a small profit ) will get their attention?!
    I remember the days of enjoying Techster basketball because the Ladies not only won but played as a team. Only recently has the men's game ( not specifically Tech's ) come back from the 1 on 1 of the street ball mentality to running set plays for specific results. CL just doesn't seem to have that ability as he tries to run a post oriented game w/o any true post players. Of course, HE recruited the current players so what's his excuse this time? Can't wait until next year 'cause don't we have some more midget guards coming in???

MG
    Yes, I was there in the old days, as well. Still here now and hoping that things turn around. I understand how you feel, but will not get into a gang bashing state of mind. Just doesn't do me or anyone else any good. You can feel comforted that you are in the majority, though, and you have every right to post how you feel. I don't post all my feelings, because it would just make me feel worse about the state of things.

Champ - Please don't think that I enjoy seeing our/my Techsters fall from Grace!! :bigcry: I guess I'm your polar opposite in that it does me GOOD to get these feelings off my chest but I also don't post everything that's on my mind or in my heart, either. Besides, how much change would come of it?? It's gotta start w/DR & JO to grow some balls & see that CL just isn't HC material ( although I think he'd go back to being a decent AC ) & let him go. Then do a TRUE nationwide search for a successor ( although I doubt that we'd be able to attract too many big names now that the program's slid so far plus we certainly won't pay the kind of $$ that Summit, Kim, Geno, Stringer, et al command simply because of our small athletic budget ). That makes me think that our best hope is to find a former player who still has Techster blood in her veins & wants to see the program right itself. No, I'm in NO way trying to imply that KM would come back ( although I'd like to see it - ain't gonna happen as long as DR is in power - damnit!! ) but perhaps T-Spoon or one of the other Ladies mentioned in a previous post?

MG

Guess what LT, the last time I checked you were just one person, so the fact that you would be happy with Long at 22-0 doesn't mean that everyone would. You can't please all the people all the time and sometimes you can't please anyone. AGAIN I am not gonna blast a person that applied for a job and was hired that is not how I work, I leave that up to the people on here that have nothing better to do with their time than gripe and complain. I would prefer to spend my time making calls to hs coaches and AAU coaches in the area and see what they have out there that might help out as in players. I know that it is a novel concept but I just don't really have to time to be negative when I am doing things to try and improve the current situation.

Puppy dawg_not_tiger is an unknown

well we're not...no need to go any further with this one.

Thumbs Down Re: Long's legacy

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    Guess what LT, the last time I checked you were just one person, so the fact that you would be happy with Long at 22-0 doesn't mean that everyone would. You can't please all the people all the time and sometimes you can't please anyone. AGAIN I am not gonna blast a person that applied for a job and was hired that is not how I work, Ileave that up to the people on here that have nothing better to do with their time than gripe and complain. I would prefer to spend my time making calls to hs coaches and AAU coaches in the area and see what they have out there that might help out as in players. I know that it is a novel concept but I just don't really have to time to be negative when I am doing things to try and improve the current situation.
    Phil - Well, then I'm glad that I don't work for your company because if U would hire someone who then clearly proved themselves unable to perform as expected yet keep them on the payroll, there just seems to be a flaw in that business sense, IMHO. Yes, I have run across that mindset in my profession but that's generally because of Affirmative Action, gender bias or "alternative lifestyles". Gotta keep EVERYBODY happy, ya know, even if they're incompetent & end up getting other people hurt. Can't discriminate against anyone, God forbid.
    Champ & others say that the players, coaches & even some of the administration MAY read this website so why NOT let our true feelings known? I don't have any AAU or girl's basketball connections like U apparently do so I aplaud & appreciate U keeping a lookout for future potential recruits. However, if we don't quickly repair the damage that CL's leadership ( or lack of!! ) has done to the Techster tradition & name then who's gonna want to come here to play for him?? I DO know of 2 young ladies who had given early verbal commitments last year as juniors to come to Tech but are now having second thoughts because of the dismal season last year ( & we're well on the way for another ). These R girls who either play with my daughter ( who now doesn't want to try to walk on @ Tech anymore ) or against her so the sources are VERY reliable.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

MG-
    I'm with you all the way on this one. Although I appreciate the "legacy" of the Techsters, it is NO LONGER RELEVANT and those who continue to argue differently are, in my opinion, living with one foot in the past.

It's been 20 years since the Techsters won a national championship. It's been 10 years since they've been truly relevant on the national scene.

The banners hanging in the TAC, while reminders of the glory days and impressive to some, mean NOTHING to most teams playing us.

To argue that our program is still attractive to players recruited on a national level is simply outdated thinking. Long lacks charisma and leadership. The program lacks luster. Much has to change, and change SOON, for the program to survive.

+ Reply to Thread