+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible......

Hybrid View

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

The Bible......

Why is the Old Testament......
    A straightforword and detailed document of Judaism......
    In the CHRISTIAN Bible?
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: The Bible......

I haven't ever used this site before, but it'll give you a start: http://www.konig.org/page6.htm

The Old Testament is the story of the people of God (the Jews). Jesus was a Jew...in fact, he was THE Jew that fulfilled much of the Old Testament prophecy. A large segment of the Jews in that time were looking for a political leader to fill the Old Testament role of "Messiah". Christians believe Jesus was that Messiah. Orthodox Jews believe that the Messiah is yet to come.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I haven't ever used this site before, but it'll give you a start: http://www.konig.org/page6.htm

The Old Testament is the story of the people of God (the Jews). Jesus was a Jew...in fact, he was THE Jew that fulfilled much of the Old Testament prophecy. A large segment of the Jews in that time were looking for a political leader to fill the Old Testament role of "Messiah". Christians believe Jesus was that Messiah. Orthodox Jews believe that the Messiah is yet to come.
    May I suggest the following......
    "The Old Testament is the story of the people of" YAHWEH (YHWH or JHVH)......
    A unique monotheistic god concerned with the morality and laws and fate of a particular "chosen people".

Have you never considered the ramifications of the complex differences between Yahweh and the Christian God(s)?
    This question is somewhat tangential for the purposes of my thread topic......
    But like, was Jesus a Jew and why......
    And did he "fulfill" ANY Old Testament prophecy......
    I consider it worthy of consideration.

May I ask that you look at Yahweh first, in the context of Judaism at zero BC......
    To perhaps better glimpse Christ and Christianity?

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    Have you never considered the ramifications of the complex differences between Yahweh and the Christian God(s)?

May I ask that you look at Yahweh first, in the context of Judaism at zero BC......

Cheers.
    What differences, in particular, are you referring to? There is a change in covenants, but the God is the same. Yes, Jesus was a Jew as he was an ethnic Hebrew and a student of the Scripture. He was a descendant of David, the King of Israel. Yes, he fulfilled the Old Testament prophecy. The links that I've provided go through them one by one. Yahweh is the same at 0 BC (roughly 4 years AFTER the birth of Christ) and at 1500 BC, and 2008 AD.

Cheers indeed!

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest the following......
    "The Old Testament is the story of the people of" YAHWEH (YHWH or JHVH)......
    A unique monotheistic god concerned with the morality and laws and fate of a particular "chosen people".

Cheers.
    I think I know what you're trying to say. Jews don't believe in Jesus because, according to the Old Testament, that would be idol worship. Correct?

That's why Christians believe YHVH has 3 distinct personalities that exist within 1 godhead. Sounds complex until you consider what a human being is.... body, soul, and spirit... 3 in 1, yet still 1. I'll reference the word "echad" in the shema. Echad, at its core definition, means a unity of 1. Adonai is echad (a unity of 1). I wouldn't know that without the Old Testament.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    Sounds complex until you consider what a human being is.... body, soul, and spirit...
    What is "soul" and what is "spirit"?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    What is "soul" and what is "spirit"?
    Webster's...

Soul: the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life.
    Spirit: the activating or essential principle influencing a person

I think I know what you're trying to say. Jews don't believe in Jesus because, according to the Old Testament, that would be idol worship. Correct?

That's why Christians believe YHVH has 3 distinct personalities that exist within 1 godhead. Sounds complex until you consider what a human being is.... body, soul, and spirit... 3 in 1, yet still 1. I'll reference the word "echad" in the shema. Echad, at its core definition, means a unity of 1. Adonai is echad (a unity of 1). I wouldn't know that without the Old Testament.
    "Correct"?......

Not correct......
    What Jews may or not "believe in" is virtually irrelevant in the context of this thread.
    My purpose in authoring this thread was to discuss what Christians "believe in" (and why) with a Bible that includes the Old Testament as their written guide to their Christian God.

BTW......
    Regarding your statement "That's why Christians believe YHVH has 3 distinct personalities" and so forth.
    This interests me because I have never before heard ANY Christian (you are a Christian I assume) refer to Christ/The Christian Trinity as YHVH.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate.

May I ask your Christian sect of choice?

"Correct"?......

Not correct......
    What Jews may or not "believe in" is virtually irrelevant in the context of this thread.
    My purpose in authoring this thread was to discuss what Christians "believe in" (and why) with a Bible that includes the Old Testament as their written guide to their Christian God.

BTW......
    Regarding your statement "That's why Christians believe YHVH has 3 distinct personalities" and so forth.
    This interests me because I have never before heard ANY Christian (you are a Christian I assume) refer to Christ/The Christian Trinity as YHVH.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate.

May I ask your Christian sect of choice?
    Oh, sorry. It's hard to understand your questions. We believe that the God of the Old Testament (YHVH) created the world and everything in it. We believe the story of Adam and Eve's fall from the presence of God through sin. We believe we need to be redeemed by God in order to be brought back into His presence. We believe the New Testament was God's plan to bring us back to Him. The Old Testament gave us God's laws so that we would understand we break them, and are in need of atonement. The New Testament provides that atonement through Jesus.

As for YHVH. We believe God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit are all YHVH.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

"Jews don't believe in Jesus because that would be idol worship." LOL

Jews don't believe in Jesus because they don't believe he was the Messiah. Jews don't have golden/bronze crosses in their temples because those are graven images. Which, by the way, is part of the Old Testament, or the Hebrew Bible.

Jesus wasn't an idol. Unless you make statues out of him and put them in your churches.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    "Jews don't believe in Jesus because that would be idol worship." LOL

Jews don't believe in Jesus because they don't believe he was the Messiah. Jews don't have golden/bronze crosses in their temples because those are graven images. Which, by the way, is part of the Old Testament, or the Hebrew Bible.

Jesus wasn't an idol. Unless you make statues out of him and put them in your churches.
    Jews couldn't get past a man claiming to have been around before Abraham and claiming his "oneness" with God. Anytime he did this, they picked up rocks to stone him. This is the main reason the Jews couldn't accept Jesus as Messiah... he was a blasphemer according to the law of Moses.... as they knew it.

My personal opinion.... God knew they wouldn't accept him and thus provided a great light to the Gentiles, so that we may share in the promises of the Jews, which is forgiveness and redemption. The book of Romans and Isaiah 53 is what I base my opinion on.

And another: http://www.tecmalta.org/tft153.htm

Let me know what you think...if you have time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    And another: http://www.tecmalta.org/tft153.htm

Let me know what you think...if you have time.
    I have taken the time......
    To read all of your hyper-links.

And I "think" that while they all proffer various arguments for incorporating the Old Testament into the Christian Bible...... They all share serious flaws for anyone not predisposed to ignoring their assumptions, and their literal leaps of fervant faith.

Perhaps there are one or two particular paragraphs/sections within all the material you have cited, that you find to be special significance for the topic at hand?

If so......
    Please cite them, and I promise to reply in kind.

Cheers.

I have taken the time......
    To read all of your hyper-links.

And I "think" that while they all proffer various arguments for incorporating the Old Testament into the Christian Bible...... They all share serious flaws for anyone not predisposed to ignoring their assumptions, and their literal leaps of fervant faith.

Perhaps there are one or two particular paragraphs/sections within all the material you have cited, that you find to be special significance for the topic at hand?

If so......
    Please cite them, and I promise to reply in kind.

Cheers.
    The links that I've posted are large. If you would specify the serious flaws (or even just one serious flaw), I'd be happy to address it.

+ Reply to Thread