+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible......

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

The Bible......

Why is the Old Testament......
    A straightforword and detailed document of Judaism......
    In the CHRISTIAN Bible?
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: The Bible......

I haven't ever used this site before, but it'll give you a start: http://www.konig.org/page6.htm

The Old Testament is the story of the people of God (the Jews). Jesus was a Jew...in fact, he was THE Jew that fulfilled much of the Old Testament prophecy. A large segment of the Jews in that time were looking for a political leader to fill the Old Testament role of "Messiah". Christians believe Jesus was that Messiah. Orthodox Jews believe that the Messiah is yet to come.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

And another: http://www.tecmalta.org/tft153.htm

Let me know what you think...if you have time.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    In the CHRISTIAN Bible?
    Bored with the lspoo stuff on tv huh. :icon_wink:

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

I've intentionally stayed away from this forum in recent months, but with a thread title like this I had to read it.

I'll keep this simple because I not real sure you are really interested in the answer but rather to start a debate against Christianity.

Why do historians study America before the Constitution? Or Lincoln before he was president? Why do people care about athletes before they go pro?

It's all one account, one story, one message from God.

It's the foundation of Christianity.

It's the prophesy and who Jesus would be and how we would know him.

It's the validation that man, no matter how much we try, would NEVER be able to EARN righteousness.

It's the story, time and time again of how imperfect we are an how perfect our God is.

It's the story of God's love for us and his desire to forgive us even when we don't deserve it.

It's the account of WHY Christ had to come and why he had to die on the cross. Because we can't restore the relationship with God ourselves. It took a perfect sacrifice, given willingly and freely.

And it is SO much more than can be summed up in a post on a message board.

Chris

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

It is hard to sum up in one post, but I think you got REALLY close.

JFord
    Last edited by TechDawgFan; 01-08-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

^You might want to edit the spelling in your post.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    ^You might want to edit the spelling in your post.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

In the CHRISTIAN Bible?
    To talk about the OT as a document of "Judaism" is anachronistic. There was no such thing as Judaism when the OT was written.

Beyond that, TDF gave a very good answer over all.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I haven't ever used this site before, but it'll give you a start: http://www.konig.org/page6.htm

The Old Testament is the story of the people of God (the Jews). Jesus was a Jew...in fact, he was THE Jew that fulfilled much of the Old Testament prophecy. A large segment of the Jews in that time were looking for a political leader to fill the Old Testament role of "Messiah". Christians believe Jesus was that Messiah. Orthodox Jews believe that the Messiah is yet to come.
    May I suggest the following......
    "The Old Testament is the story of the people of" YAHWEH (YHWH or JHVH)......
    A unique monotheistic god concerned with the morality and laws and fate of a particular "chosen people".

Have you never considered the ramifications of the complex differences between Yahweh and the Christian God(s)?
    This question is somewhat tangential for the purposes of my thread topic......
    But like, was Jesus a Jew and why......
    And did he "fulfill" ANY Old Testament prophecy......
    I consider it worthy of consideration.

May I ask that you look at Yahweh first, in the context of Judaism at zero BC......
    To perhaps better glimpse Christ and Christianity?

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Have you never considered the ramifications of the complex differences between Yahweh and the Christian God(s)?

May I ask that you look at Yahweh first, in the context of Judaism at zero BC......

Cheers.
    What differences, in particular, are you referring to? There is a change in covenants, but the God is the same. Yes, Jesus was a Jew as he was an ethnic Hebrew and a student of the Scripture. He was a descendant of David, the King of Israel. Yes, he fulfilled the Old Testament prophecy. The links that I've provided go through them one by one. Yahweh is the same at 0 BC (roughly 4 years AFTER the birth of Christ) and at 1500 BC, and 2008 AD.

Cheers indeed!

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

The New Testament wouldn't make sense if there were no Old Testament.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest the following......
    "The Old Testament is the story of the people of" YAHWEH (YHWH or JHVH)......
    A unique monotheistic god concerned with the morality and laws and fate of a particular "chosen people".

Cheers.
    I think I know what you're trying to say. Jews don't believe in Jesus because, according to the Old Testament, that would be idol worship. Correct?

That's why Christians believe YHVH has 3 distinct personalities that exist within 1 godhead. Sounds complex until you consider what a human being is.... body, soul, and spirit... 3 in 1, yet still 1. I'll reference the word "echad" in the shema. Echad, at its core definition, means a unity of 1. Adonai is echad (a unity of 1). I wouldn't know that without the Old Testament.

Another glimpse into the Holy Trinity can be found in Genesis, when God states, "Let us make man in our own image."

And we would have to know the definition of "Elohim."

+ Reply to Thread