+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible......

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Re: The Bible......

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    I can describe air.
    Reminds me of Bill Cosby in one of his earliest comic routines ......
    When he joked about being a physical education major at college (Temple?) dating a philosophy major.

Something like this......
    She use to walk around all the time asking WHAT IS AIR?...... WHAT IS AIR?
    Hell, even I knew what air was. It for blowing up basketballs and footballs. :icon_wink:
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    To talk about the OT as a document of "Judaism" is anachronistic. There was no such thing as Judaism when the OT was written.

Beyond that, TDF gave a very good answer over all.
    NOW BACK ON TOPIC......
    May I ask you to explain your above statement?

"There was no such thing as Judaism when the OT was written."

I await what can only be an interesting reply.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    The links that I've posted are large. If you would specify the serious flaws (or even just one serious flaw), I'd be happy to address it.
    Perhaps you misunderstood my reply......
    I consider each of the involved contents of your links to be flawed for various reasons.

As the gentleman who raised his gauntlet...... I have honorably offered you, as a gentleman, the choice of weapons.

If you decline my offered choice...... I shall be happy to make the selection for you.

Shall we proceed in this manner?

Until your relpy and my next opportunity to respond.
    Cheers and good night.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    I consider each of the involved contents of your links to be flawed for various reasons.

As the gentleman who raised his gauntlet...... I have honorably offered you, as a gentleman, the choice of weapons.

If you decline my offered choice...... I shall be happy to make the selection for you.

Cheers and good night.
    Spin, I'm a lover, not a fighter. Maybe my brain is fried from listening to Wolf Blitzer too much, but, for the life of me, I can't understand what you are asking.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Spin, I'm a lover, not a fighter. Maybe my brain is fried from listening to Wolf Blitzer too much, but, for the life of me, I can't understand what you are asking.

I get the impression he wants you to go to the links you posted and find what he considers flaws and defend them.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

"Correct"?......

Not correct......
    What Jews may or not "believe in" is virtually irrelevant in the context of this thread.
    My purpose in authoring this thread was to discuss what Christians "believe in" (and why) with a Bible that includes the Old Testament as their written guide to their Christian God.

BTW......
    Regarding your statement "That's why Christians believe YHVH has 3 distinct personalities" and so forth.
    This interests me because I have never before heard ANY Christian (you are a Christian I assume) refer to Christ/The Christian Trinity as YHVH.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate.

May I ask your Christian sect of choice?
    Oh, sorry. It's hard to understand your questions. We believe that the God of the Old Testament (YHVH) created the world and everything in it. We believe the story of Adam and Eve's fall from the presence of God through sin. We believe we need to be redeemed by God in order to be brought back into His presence. We believe the New Testament was God's plan to bring us back to Him. The Old Testament gave us God's laws so that we would understand we break them, and are in need of atonement. The New Testament provides that atonement through Jesus.

As for YHVH. We believe God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit are all YHVH.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

NOW BACK ON TOPIC......

Judaism as a religious system developed over a long span of time, but to use that name, most historians would probably start with the period sometime after the destruction of the temple in 70 AD when the canon was pretty well established and rabbinical teaching became the focus of the group.

Start with this. The words "Judaism" and "Jew" are derivative of the term Judah. Before the kingdom divided after Solomon, the people didn't think of themselves as Jews, they thought of themselves as Israelites. The widespread use of the term Jew to describe those living in the Promised Land really didn't come into being until after the return from Babylon. "Judaism" didn't exist at that point. The Israelites were following Yahweh and telling their story in the writings that became their scripture. It was their scripture that created Judaism -- not the other way around.

That's okay......
    It's not important to me.
    I was simply trying to give you a fair shot with your back to the sun.

BTW......
    I consider you be a tenacious fighter.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I get the impression he wants you to go to the links you posted and find what he considers flaws and defend them.
    No cigar......

I was simply suggesting that Johhny select one (to a few) individual sections from the lengthy links he cited as representative of BEST PROOF for his position.
    I was not asking him to FIND what I might view as "flaws"......
    (how could that even be possible)
    Or to in any manner "defend" his personal selection(s).

My apology to anyone who may find my prose confusing......
    But it has been ever so long since my little grey cells needed only the excersise required to assist Dick and Jane fetch a bucket of anything.

Cheers.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

No cigar......

I was simply suggesting that Johhny select one (to a few) individual sections from the lengthy links he cited as representative of BEST PROOF for his position.

But it has been ever so long since my little grey cells needed only the excersise required to assist Dick and Jane fetch a bucket of anything.

Cheers.
    As long as you think so.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    Oh, sorry. It's hard to understand your questions. We believe that the God of the Old Testament (YHVH) created the world and everything in it. We believe the story of Adam and Eve's fall from the presence of God through sin. We believe we need to be redeemed by God in order to be brought back into His presence. We believe the New Testament was God's plan to bring us back to Him. The Old Testament gave us God's laws so that we would understand we break them, and are in need of atonement. The New Testament provides that atonement through Jesus.

As for YHVH. We believe God the father, God the son, and God the Holy Spirit are all YHVH.
    I have noted the interesting shift in your above post......
    From the first person singular, to the first person plural.
    May I inquire whom the WE in your new rhetoric refers to/includes?

You have touched on a number of interesting points that are germane to my purpose for this thread......
    But your WE needs clarification.
    I sincerely hope that is not "hard to understand"?

I have taken the time......
    To read all of your hyper-links.

And I "think" that while they all proffer various arguments for incorporating the Old Testament into the Christian Bible...... They all share serious flaws for anyone not predisposed to ignoring their assumptions, and their literal leaps of fervant faith.

Perhaps there are one or two particular paragraphs/sections within all the material you have cited, that you find to be special significance for the topic at hand?

If so......
    Please cite them, and I promise to reply in kind.

Cheers.
    The links that I've posted are large. If you would specify the serious flaws (or even just one serious flaw), I'd be happy to address it.

Cheers and good night.
    Well, it's pretty obvious to any sober minded individual that johnny doesn't think that any of what he has offered to be flawed, but yet you have in mind something that is. It's a waste of time for him to try to pick something in particular to use for the particular topic at hand when he's not sure which ones you considered flawed. You ask for "one or two particular paragraphs to be of special significance for the topic at hand." He obviously considers them all significant.

That's okay......
    It's not important to me.
    I was simply trying to give you a fair shot with your back to the sun.

BTW......
    I consider you be a tenacious fighter.

Cheers.
    It's not important to you? You created the freakin' thread. If it's not important, then why did you start the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    No cigar......

Cheers.
    Once again, johnny obviously thinks the whole articles are significant. He's asked you what particular sections you find flawed. Why don't you present those so that he can address them instead of his taking a shot in the dark? You offered to choose the weapons if he didn't, now you're calling off the duel? Take your shot and see if it hits him. The fact that he's asked you to point out what you consider flawed and you declined tends to lend the idea to me that you want him to put something out there that you can attack.

To talk about the OT as a document of "Judaism" is anachronistic. There was no such thing as Judaism when the OT was written.
    NOW BACK ON TOPIC......

Why is the Old Testament......
    A straightforword and detailed document of Judaism......
    In the CHRISTIAN Bible?
    Um, hello, the topic is why is the Old Testament in the Christian Bible not why was there no such thing as Judaism when the OT was written. You created the topic and don't remember what it is? I suggest you put the beer down and go back to reading Dick and Jane. You obviously need to exercise those grey cells especially since it was Jack and Jill fetching the bucket.

Cheers

I have noted the interesting shift in your above post......
    From the first person singular, to the first person plural.
    May I inquire whom the WE in your new rhetoric refers to/includes?

You have touched on a number of interesting points that are germane to my purpose for this thread......
    But your WE needs clarification.
    I sincerely hope that is not "hard to understand"?

Why don't you just come out and tell us the purpose for your starting this thread? You asked a simple question, and you were given answers to that question. You don't offer any reasoning as to why you don't like those answers, yet want to be convinced that your reasons are invalid. How can anyone know if you have valid objections if he doesn't know what they are? Now you're jumping all over the place claiming you have a purpose for the question. If the purpose of your question wasn't to find out why the OT is in the Christian Bible, then why didn you ask it? It's obvious you consider your intellect to be superior to several of us on here even though you insist on writing in grammatically butchered sentences. Surely someone as smart as you can realize that if we can only function on a Dick and Jane level, we certainly can't read your mind and divine your real purpose in creating this thread. You're worst than a damned woman at hiding what you're getting at. Just come out and tell us what your trying to accomplish, and we'll see if we can satisfy your desire. It's hard for us to address your issue if we don't know what it is.

Cheers

Judaism as a religious system developed over a long span of time, but to use that name, most historians would probably start with the period sometime after the destruction of the temple in 70 AD when the canon was pretty well established and rabbinical teaching became the focus of the group.

Start with this. The words "Judaism" and "Jew" are derivative of the term Judah. Before the kingdom divided after Solomon, the people didn't think of themselves as Jews, they thought of themselves as Israelites. The widespread use of the term Jew to describe those living in the Promised Land really didn't come into being until after the return from Babylon. "Judaism" didn't exist at that point. The Israelites were following Yahweh and telling their story in the writings that became their scripture. It was their scripture that created Judaism -- not the other way around.
    MY MISTAKE......

I have assumed that you have been posting on this thread to discuss a serious subject in a serious manner.
    If it is your intent to play sophomoric GAMES......
    BE AWARE......
    I am not a fellow content to play in anyone's shallow sandbox......
    While seemingly endless ocean waves never cease churning every near and distant shore in man's magnificent world.

And now I must ask a question, that I must respect your right not to answer.
    What are you a college professor of, and where?

Perhaps later?

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

MY MISTAKE......

I have assumed that you have been posting on this thread to discuss a serious subject in a serious manner.
    If it is your intent to play sophomoric GAMES......
    BE AWARE......
    I am not a fellow content to play in anyone's shallow sandbox......
    While seemingly endless ocean waves never cease churning every near and distant shore in man's magnificent world.

And now I must ask a question, that I must respect your right not to answer.
    What are you a college professor of, and where?

Perhaps later?
    Try reading it again when you're sober. Your assumptions are too simplistic to make for a serious discussion if you don't even want to think about how "religions" develop.

As for the other, I teach leadership and ethics in the college of business at Mary-Hardin Baylor in Texas.

+ Reply to Thread