+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long changes starting line up.

Varsity Bulldog gramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the rough

Long changes starting line up.

Long announces plans to change starting line-up.

Johnson for Dowdell
    Pringle moves to PG and Levingston at the 2.

Good Luck Techsters!

Bulldog D_dubb has turned a few heads around hereD_dubb has turned a few heads around here D_dubb's Avatar

Re: Long changes starting line up.

I have been on here harping on him to change the line up, so I give him a nice try but he still missed the mark. He continues to start and leave in the game for big minutes a player that has most of his turnovers. Good Job on the W though.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad he is, at least, playing with it. Losing Whitney was a blow to what he intended to be the starting line-up this year. I think we will see continued attempts figuring out the best group to start. Pringle is a great player, but still needs time to grow into this position.
    Even though some may disagree, I consider Dowdell one of our best players. There is nothing but upside to her game. Hopefully, she will be a great contributer as a starter or first off the bench.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I wish he would play Johnson at the three position. Let Nixon back up Sneed and Dowdell. I think Stewart could split time at the three with Johnson. At this point I don't know who the point guard should be. I guess we should build for the future and have Pringle do it. I like Levingston at the two when Johnson is at the three, and Wysinger at the two when Stewart is at the three.

Varsity Bulldog gramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the roughgramtech is a jewel in the rough

Any thoughts on Levingston at the point position?

I like Johnson, Dowdell and Sneed on the floor at the same time. The two guard spots are up for grabs; however, I do like Stewart a lot even with the injury.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Levingston can handle the point position. I really think that April handles the point position pretty well. She is small, but is a fighter. I like Pringle in the 2 spot. She has not been consistent, but the night she hit 6 tres told me that the potential to be a scorer is there.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I don't think Levingston can handle the point position. I really think that April handles the point position pretty well. She is small, but is a fighter. I like Pringle in the 2 spot. She has not been consistent, but the night she hit 6 tres told me that the potential to be a scorer is there.
    DANG it I try to just be a fan but these kids are driving me crazy, OK Levingston gets so excited that she just doesn't do well starting, she needs to sit back and watch the other team so that she can make her ajustments from the bench also if you watch when she hits a couple shots she follows that by three mistakes, as soon as she hits the first shot he needs to have somebody on standby so that if she makes the second one he can get her out of there. I had a player that did the same exact thing and she finally begged me not to start her no matter what, she was just comfortable comming off the bench and enjoyed that role. She actually stepped up her leadership on the floor and made the most of her minutes due to her knowing she would be in there for short periods of time. I know what some of you are thinking "what happens if she misses the first shot, he just has to keep her comming to his side of the floor so that he can continue to reinforce his confidence in her. I known this sounds so childish but I am telling you this is the type player that she is and I am not sure she even realizes it. When she makes the first mistake you have to look at replacing her because she is going to make them in threes trying to make up for the first one.
    She can be of great help to us if we just limit her playing time to short stretches he can even tell her I need three strong minutes from you, that way she can focus on three minutes and it doesn't seem like an eternity.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by gramtech View Post
    Any thoughts on Levingston at the point position?

I like Johnson, Dowdell and Sneed on the floor at the same time. The two guard spots are up for grabs; however, I do like Stewart a lot even with the injury.
    Hmmm....what I'm about to say isn't to knock Stewart, but what have you seen from her so far that makes you think she should start? She was 0-5 in the last game. Please explain.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

It amazes me that I'm not supposed to voice criticism of the coach because of how it may affect potential recruits, yet people on this board say stuff about current players not being good enough, or able to handle the pressure, and there are no outcries for how that may affect the current players' thoughts and actions.

Just so I'm clear: I lay it ALL at the feet of Long. I know, philgarris, that you will disagree, and that's of course your right. BUT, if Levingston isn't up to task for a position Long puts her in, that's on him, not her. He's had 2 1/2 years to develop her. Same goes for the other players. Even the freshmen and JC transfers. He's had the same time coaches around the country have had to develop their first and second year recruits.

It's up to LONG to save the rest of the season, by coaching his way through the mess he's made. Change the starting five, rotate more, put in Kara, teach solid and consistent defense (supposedly your strength), run an offense not suited to post players, do everything the sideline coaches on this board ask of you, Long, but do it quickly, and keep trying until you get it right.

Champ philgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her gamephilgarris is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    It amazes me that I'm not supposed to voice criticism of the coach because of how it may affect potential recruits, yet people on this board say stuff about current players not being good enough, or able to handle the pressure, and there are no outcries for how that may affect the current players' thoughts and actions.

Just so I'm clear: I lay it ALL at the feet of Long. I know, philgarris, that you will disagree, and that's of course your right. BUT, if Levingston isn't up to task for a position Long puts her in, that's on him, not her. He's had 2 1/2 years to develop her. Same goes for the other players. Even the freshmen and JC transfers. He's had the same time coaches around the country have had to develop their first and second year recruits.

It's up to LONG to save the rest of the season, by coaching his way through the mess he's made. Change the starting five, rotate more, put in Kara, teach solid and consistent defense (supposedly your strength), run an offense not suited to post players, do everything the sideline coaches on this board ask of you, Long, but do it quickly, and keep trying until you get it right.
    FFA,
    Just so that I am clear: I try to never give a negative that I don't follow it up with a positive, while I have made some suggestions about the play of current players, I follow anything negative by making a positive suggestion to correct the situation.
    How fast a player progresses is a game of gambling some pick it up faster than others and this step is a much bigger step than from jr high school to high school. The step from hs to college is much bigger especially since the stage is division 1 ncaa. The players grow at their own pace and it depends solely on how fast they adapt to the game. JC players also have a struggle at times due to having to constantly learn new systems, while alot of Juco programs run a very wide open offense they have to learn the sets from when they leave hs to juco then they are there for two years and they have to start over at ground one and learn something totally different for their final two years of college.
    I have always told people if you don't have a solution to a problem then you shouldn't comment on the problem. I have always told employees and current co workers never come to me with a problem that you don't have a solution to the problem. I tell them "Until you have come up with a way to fix the problem then all you can do is add more to the problem. "

PG-
    Well said. And I do have a solution to my complaint. Fire Long.
    Have a good weekend, and here's to beating Boise!

Bulldog D_dubb has turned a few heads around hereD_dubb has turned a few heads around here D_dubb's Avatar

I think that Bean is one of the best on the team also. She has been the most consistent player this whole season. Not sure why he would take her out of the starting line-up. I would rotate Tub at the 2 and 3 because she is the shooter on this team and he has point guards sitting on the bench that are capable of playing. I would play Johnson at the three as well just because her size. He has a seven player rotation that he plays no matter what and he wont stray from that. He is big on playing favorites and it's obvious to see. I'm done with him and his coaching staff, tomorrow I will elaborate on that after the game.

PG-
    Well said. And I do have a solution to my complaint. Fire Long.
    Have a good weekend, and here's to beating Boise!
    FFA,
    Ok fire Long and what would that accomplish currently, you have only given a part of what the correction to the team would be. Firing CL would be your starting point but what else would you do to correct the situation as far as the current team is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by philgarris View Post
    FFA,
    Ok fire Long and what would that accomplish currently, you have only given a part of what the correction to the team would be. Firing CL would be your starting point but what else would you do to correct the situation as far as the current team is doing?
    IMO, firing Long would be the best first step. The next step, get a coach who has a long term plan in mind, which from Long's recruits, it appears he is short-sighted. You and a few others really like Long. I don't fault you for that. He may be a really nice guy, who cares about the program. But I, along with a few others, think he is in over his head.

I don't have to have several suggestions as to how to right the ship. I think the first and most important step is to find a coach who knows how to motivate and direct a team. That is what the Techsters are lacking.

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Frown Re: Long changes starting line up.

IMO, firing Long would be the best first step. The next step, get a coach who has a long term plan in mind, which from Long's recruits, it appears he is short-sighted. You and a few others really like Long. I don't fault you for that. He may be a really nice guy, who cares about the program. But I, along with a few others, think he is in over his head.

I don't have to have several suggestions as to how to right the ship. I think the first and most important step is to find a coach who knows how to motivate and direct a team. That is what the Techsters are lacking.
    FFA & PG - I'm not sure that CL really cares about the program or is his ego simply getting in the way? Sometimes U have to put your ego aside & admit that U're not the right person for the job. He can certainly stay on as an AC because apparently he can recruit decent players yet doesn't seem to know what to do with them when he gets them here. Either that or he can't change his schemes to fit the players he has. This is generally where I get hit w/all the "he has to use what KB left him" remarks. News flash!! These are CL's recruits now ( or he's had 2+ years to de-program KB's system from them ) so that excuse doesn't fly for me anymore!! In either event, he needs to admit that he's in over his head & ask for help ( perhaps LB would "assist" because we all know HE cares about the program he built! ) and/or turn in his resignation at the end of this season. As a short term answer, why not see what Joni & the other AC's can do? Can't do too much worse, IMHO. The long term answer would be as FFA says - a TRUE nationwide search before our beloved program falls so far down that NO ONE would want to come here to resurrect it!! Lord knows NONE of us want to it come to that but we're clearly headed that direction, again - IMHO. Case in point is Delta State, Cheney State & Immaculatta. They were amongst the pioneers of WBB ( as were we ) but where are they now?? Yes, I know about how the heavy hitters like Tenn, UConn, etc have stepped up their own programs ( & I've been one of the first people on this site to verbalize that some of our own success was the fact that we're one of the first programs to embrace WBB so we got a head-start on the rest of the colleges ) but we still hung in there through the KB era ( albeit going out sooner each year in the Big Dance ) so it CAN be done but only with the proper & strong leadership!!

Gene
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 01-12-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Add comment

+ Reply to Thread