+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Presidential Election

Big Dog localdawg is an unknown

2008 Presidential Election

At this stage in the election, who would you vote for ?

Barak Obama
    Hillary Clinton
    John Edwards
    Mitt Romney
    Rudy Giulliani
    John McCain
    Ron Paul
    Fred Thompson
    Mike Huckabee

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Re: 2008 Presidential Election

Quote Originally Posted by localdawg View Post

Barak Obama
    Hillary Clinton
    John Edwards
    Mitt Romney
    Rudy Giulliani
    John McCain
    Ron Paul
    Fred Thompson
    Mike Huckabee

In order:
    Ron Paul
    (noone else)

From the bottom (who I would least like to win):
    Mike Suckabee
    John Edwards
    (everyone else is more or less equal)

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    In order:
    Ron Paul
    (noone else)

From the bottom (who I would least like to win):
    Mike Suckabee
    John Edwards
    (everyone else is more or less equal)

I haven't been paying attention to the Dem's that much but, out of curiosity, why do you dislike Edwards more than Hillary and Obama?

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I haven't been paying attention to the Dem's that much but, out of curiosity, why do you dislike Edwards more than Hillary and Obama?
    He seems to be the closest thing to (the final act of) Marxian communism that I've ever encountered in American politics.

In fact, I take back my previous rankings. I put Edwards ahead of Suckabee on my do not want list.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Barak Obama
    Hillary Clinton
    John Edwards
    Mitt Romney
    Rudy Giulliani
    John McCain
    Ron Paul
    Fred Thompson
    Mike Huckabee
    Tier One
    (1) Ron Paul

Tier Two
    (2) Fred Thompson

Tier Three
    (3) Romney
    (4) McCain
    (5) Rudy

Tier Four
    (6) Clinton
    (7) Huckabee
    (8) Obama
    (9) Edwards
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Barak Obama
    Hillary Clinton
    John Edwards
    Mitt Romney
    Rudy Giulliani
    John McCain
    Ron Paul
    Fred Thompson
    Mike Huckabee
    Localdawg,

I've been asking myself that qustion a lot lately, and I can't come up with a good answer.

I have always considered myself a "Reagan Republican", but none of the current candidates remind me too much of The Gipper, even though all of the Republican candidates try their best to be him. McCain comes close in some ways, but he's just too old to be president. If McCain won, he would be 80 when it came time for re-election and (assuming he won) he would be 84 by the time he left office. That won't fly with voters, regardless of his position on the issues.

I liked Huckabee for a while because I liked the things he said about Iraq and some other issues. But, the more I study him, the less I like him. I think the press has overplayed his minister background.

Thompson is a good candidate, but I'm not even sure he will be in the race much longer. He needs to win a primary or he is going to be forced out soon...unless he has tons of money to keep him afloat.

Ron Paul is interesting, but his Iraq stance is troubling. That part of the world is chaotic, and you can make a great argument that we should not be in Iraq. But, we are. Paul's stance is to immediately pull all troops out, which would really throw them into chaos, and allow the insurgents to claim victory the same way the claimed victory over the USSR in Afghanistan.

I have avoided most of the political threads on purpose, because I have been trying to make up my mind on my own. But, it seems that the candidates are all pretty similar.

No one has taken a stance that I agree with on immigration and they are all afraid to talk about Iraq (except for the Democrats who do nothing but bash current policy). I really want to hear a detailed plan about economic policy and how we will get spending under control. Throwing out buzzwords like "tax cut" and "healthcare coverage" don't mean much unless you can also tell how you plan to pay for it.

So, to answer your question, I have no freakin' idea who I'm voting for.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Wow, I really never knew Edwards was that bad. I usually just lump him in with Hillary and Obama. I would listen to him more except everytime I hear him speak within 2 minutes he starts railing on businesses and free market so I usually get annoyed and turn the channel.

The good news is I don't think he stands a chance unless something drastic changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Tier One
    (1) Ron Paul

Tier Two
    (2) Fred Thompson

Tier Three
    (3) Romney
    (4) McCain
    (5) Rudy

Tier Four
    (6) Clinton
    (7) Huckabee
    (8) Obama
    (9) Edwards
    I would vote third party before I vote anyone in Tier 3 or 4. Not sure yet if I would vote Thompson or "waste my vote" on a third party.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Localdawg,

I've been asking myself that qustion a lot lately, and I can't come up with a good answer.

I have always considered myself a "Reagan Republican", but none of the current candidates remind me too much of The Gipper, even though all of the Republican candidates try their best to be him. McCain comes close in some ways, but he's just too old to be president. If McCain won, he would be 80 when it came time for re-election and (assuming he won) he would be 84 by the time he left office. That won't fly with voters, regardless of his position on the issues.

I liked Huckabee for a while because I liked the things he said about Iraq and some other issues. But, the more I study him, the less I like him. I think the press has overplayed his minister background.

Thompson is a good candidate, but I'm not even sure he will be in the race much longer. He needs to win a primary or he is going to be forced out soon...unless he has tons of money to keep him afloat.

Ron Paul is interesting, but his Iraq stance is troubling. That part of the world is chaotic, and you can make a great argument that we should not be in Iraq. But, we are. Paul's stance is to immediately pull all troops out, which would really throw them into chaos, and allow the insurgents to claim victory the same way the claimed victory over the USSR in Afghanistan.

I have avoided most of the political threads on purpose, because I have been trying to make up my mind on my own. But, it seems that the candidates are all pretty similar.

No one has taken a stance that I agree with on immigration and they are all afraid to talk about Iraq (except for the Democrats who do nothing but bash current policy). I really want to hear a detailed plan about economic policy and how we will get spending under control. Throwing out buzzwords like "tax cut" and "healthcare coverage" don't mean much unless you can also tell how you plan to pay for it.

So, to answer your question, I have no freakin' idea who I'm voting for.
    Here is Thompson's immigration plan:

http://www.fred08.com/virtual/Immigration.aspx

Here is Thompson's immigration plan:

http://www.fred08.com/virtual/Immigration.aspx
    Not bad.

Wow, I really never knew Edwards was that bad. I usually just lump him in with Hillary and Obama. I would listen to him more except everytime I hear him speak within 2 minutes he starts railing on businesses and free market so I usually get annoyed and turn the channel.

The good news is I don't think he stands a chance unless something drastic changes.
    Yeah, I'd say that more or less sums him up as a candidate.

To list them in Guisslap's style:

Tier One
    (1) Ron Paul

Tier Two (not that much different than tier 3, but perhaps slightly better)
    (2) Fred Thompson
    (3) Romney

Tier Three (who really cares who wins)
    (4) McCain
    (5) Rudy
    (6) Clinton
    (7) Obama (I'm not sure if I put him in Tier 3 or Tier 4)

Tier Four (I would strongly consider voting for whichever candidate listed above is running against these guys)
    (8) Huckabee
    (9) Edwards

I would vote for Ron Paul, and pretty much the only other way I see myself voting is if #8 or #9 are running on (the other) ticket. Even then, if it was Huckabee vs. Obama, I would have to think about whether or not I wanted to vote. If it is Huckabee vs. Clinton, I would strongly consider voting for Clinton. If it were Edwards vs. any republican, I'd probably vote Republican (even for Sucky Huck).

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

Here is a basic overview of Thompson's conservative principles:

See-

http://www.fred08.com/Principles/Pri...ew=OnTheIssues

and click on "principles".

What does Fred want to do about the war in Iraq?

+ Reply to Thread