+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St. Louis Rams

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

St. Louis Rams

This is all speculation on my part. I haven't heard a rumor about this anywhere, but it crossed my feeble little mind.

Georgia Frontiere, the owner of the Rams, died this week at age 80. She is the person solely responsible for moving the team from L.A. to her hometown of St. Louis after the '94 season.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../SP7SUI21U.DTL

The thing is, her husband has been the manager of the team for several years and he runs the team from Los Angeles, where he still lives. The Rams seem to have a good arrangement in St. Louis, but L.A. is pushing for an NFL team pretty hard. They would probably have to build a stadium to get a team, but they want one and the NFL wants to be back in that market.

So, I guess my question is, what is the likelihood of the Rams moving back to L.A. now that Georgia has passed away? If someone in Anaheim would build a stadium, and make a push for them, Shaw (manager in LA) might consider it since he lives there.

The reason I thought about this is because of the many LA people I have met out here over the years. When there was talk of moving the Saints to LA after Katrina, I spoke to several LA football fans who all said the same thing. "No offense, but we don't want the Saints, the Jags, or anyone else. We want the Rams back." Now that Georgia is dead, I wonder if anyone will think about it.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: St. Louis Rams

Not sure stray. St. Louis people support their sports teams very well.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Don't think a Rams move back would be good for New Orleans. Unlike L.A., St. Louis already has a stadium and a set of rabid fans. It'd be hard for Benson to resist that possibility. The Rams aren't moving without a new stadium in L.A., though. That's the real holdup on someone moving out there. If the city ever gets it together, someone will be there quickly.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

there has been talk of moving the Rams back to L.A. but the fan base here would come out en masse to block the moving trucks. if they did move the team, there would be an expansion team here the next season...

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poisso3 View Post
    there has been talk of moving the Rams back to L.A. but the fan base here would come out en masse to block the moving trucks. if they did move the team, there would be an expansion team here the next season...
    I agree that the Rams leaving St. Louis isn't probable, but it's something I have wondered about. You mentioned expansion, and that is something else that confuses me about LA not having a football team.

The Rams left LA at the end of the '94 season, and in '95 the NFL expanded by two teams. Even though they did not have a team in LA, the NFL decided to expand to Charlotte, NC and Jacksonville, FL...two small markets that have had problems. The Browns left Cleveland for Baltimore, and the NFL expanded back to Cleveland, but not LA. Then they put the Texans in Houston to repalce the Oilers who left in the early '90s, but again ignored LA. There must be a reason but I don't know what it is. Aside from a stadium I can't figure out why they talk so much about a team in LA, but do nothing to put one there.

Last season, I was in New Orleans for the Saints first game back in the Dome since Katrina. Afterwards, I met several guys at Pat O'Briens who worked for ESPN. Long story short, they said that the owners in the NFL are now firmly against expansion because of the balance that the NFL has right now. They have 32 teams, 16 in each conference. This allows for a "perfect bracket". Adding a 33rd team would upset the bracket, and there would be a fight about whether the team would be in the AFC or NFC. Adding two teams might work because you could put one in each conference, but it would still upset the bracket. FWIW, they also said the Jerry Jones has a lot of influence among owners and he's against it.

Last season, the Angels (MLB) officially changed their names to "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" because there is some technical deal about an NFL team moving there and becoming "The Los Angels XXX of Anaheim" and playing their games in the same stadium. At least that's the plan. I don't know...just thinking out loud.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Right, I now expansion is not really a possability right now, but there is something in the Rams' contract with the City of St Louis that if they don't average a specific attendance number for s period of a few seasons, they can move back to L.A. Mrs. Georgia was the only person who wanted the Rams here, and long before she died there was talk that her step-son and daughter would move the team back to L.A. because that is where they are. If they were to be moved, I could see the NFL expanding to 2 more teams. One here, and another in San Antonio.

Now, do I expect this to happen next season? No, and I don' think it would happen for a few seasons, but if the Rams continue to have losing seasons like this year, they will be probably looking into it.

As for the NFL not lasting out in LA; I heard something a few years ago that made sense about why football teams don't last. It was said that the city of L.A. does not want to build a modern football stadium and will only allow a NFL team to play in Memorial. Having been inside that stadium when Tech played USC, I can tell you I could not believe that pro teams would be able to use that visitor's locker room because of how small and craptastic it was. In talking to the guy who was our guide for the stadium, he said that there had not been any removations to the facilities since the late 80s and that was for the home teams' use (Raiders demanded an upgraded locker room/training facilities/showers) but the visiting teams were still using the 1970s lockers, et all. This is one of the reasons USC is moving to the Rose Bowl as their new home stadium. L.A. being as locked as they are for building space is why the Dodgers have not built a new stadium. Untill such time that the sity agrees to build a new stadium there will not be a NFL team out there unless the ownership decides to bring the movnign truck into Rams City in the middle of the night and pull a Colts move...

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

The lack of a real NFL stadium is the main reason there's no NFL franchise in L.A. It was the key reason Houston won the bid in the last expansion. What I've heard is that L.A.'s political leadership is so divided they have a hard time finding anywhere that could really support it. Seems like there's two issues going on -- the NFL really wants to be in L.A. The NFL won't go without a legit stadium. The city thought that the first would be more important. Until they realize they are wrong, I think the impasse remains.

Incidently, when there were rumors of the Saints moving to either LA or San Antonio, I talked with some business leaders from San Antonio. They were not excited about the idea. They said, "publicly we're trying to be good citizens and support it, but there just isn't enough corporate money to support it." The Spurs do a lot of creative things to try to stay in the black with basketball, because the money isn't really good enough to support an NBA team. I really don't think we'll see a team in San Antonio any time soon. The population is there, but the money is not.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post

Incidently, when there were rumors of the Saints moving to either LA or San Antonio, I talked with some business leaders from San Antonio. They were not excited about the idea. They said, "publicly we're trying to be good citizens and support it, but there just isn't enough corporate money to support it." The Spurs do a lot of creative things to try to stay in the black with basketball, because the money isn't really good enough to support an NBA team. I really don't think we'll see a team in San Antonio any time soon. The population is there, but the money is not.
    Interesting. I've always thought the same thing about the Hornets being in New Orleans...I think the owner just came because of the promise of state money. I was actually hoping they would move to OKC after last season. N.O., especially after the storm, will have trouble supporting two pro teams and the stadium is EMPTY at their games. I look for them to move soon, which will be good for the Saints.

+ Reply to Thread