+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh, hot cracklins

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Fresh, hot cracklins

Well, looks like I'm going to be headed to meat market in a little to buy the ingredients to undertake a new experiment. I've decided I want to see if I can make some cracklin. Some guys and I were talking about it at work yesterday, and one of them was explaining how he does his. Now I want to try. It looks like a good side effect of making cracklin is that you get a good bit of lard, too. I'm thinking about saving that for baking needs. I can't wait already. If I can get good enough at it, I'll bring the stuff to some tailgates and make fresh cracklin for everyone. Maybe Ed will set up the pre-game show at BB&B and I'll put on a little "tailgate" cooking show while Bluecrew pretends to know what he's talking about in the sports arena. I've already made several batches of boudin that turned out decently. So, I'll try to make some of that, too, before I head up.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Fresh, hot cracklins

Man. Are you all in for a treat. I've made about 2 batches already, and they are good. Nothing like fresh, hot cracklins. I'm using Tony's to season them, but I'm going to work on my own seasoning blend. I'm using about 10.5 lbs of pork belly as it still has the skin on it. My butcher cut it in lengths for me that are about an inch to an inch & half thick. I then cut them into cubes. Cut the meat while it's frozen. It cuts much better. I think the next time, too, I might try a different cut of meat. There's too much meat for my liking, but Vette likes them. Some people like more meat than fat on their cracklins, so it's a preference. I've got a couple more hours of cooking to go. I'm doing them in a "fry daddy", so it's taking longer as the batches or smaller. I should have done them in my big cast iron outside, but the weather isn't too good today, plus, I don't think I have enough gas.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Got ketchup & tobasco?
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Man. Are you all in for a treat. I've made about 2 batches already, and they are good. Nothing like fresh, hot cracklins. I'm using Tony's to season them, but I'm going to work on my own seasoning blend. I'm using about 10.5 lbs of pork belly as it still has the skin on it. My butcher cut it in lengths for me that are about an inch to an inch & half thick. I then cut them into cubes. Cut the meat while it's frozen. It cuts much better. I think the next time, too, I might try a different cut of meat. There's too much meat for my liking, but Vette likes them. Some people like more meat than fat on their cracklins, so it's a preference. I've got a couple more hours of cooking to go. I'm doing them in a "fry daddy", so it's taking longer as the batches or smaller. I should have done them in my big cast iron outside, but the weather isn't too good today, plus, I don't think I have enough gas.

Keep eatin' dem damn cracklins an you'll have plenty of gas ya!l
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Got ketchup & tobasco?

Ketchup? On cracklins? You probably like ketchup on your scrambled eggs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Keep eatin' dem damn cracklins an you'll have plenty of gas ya!l

If I could cook using that gas, I'd be able to go on for hours.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

We cook cracklins at my deer camp all of the time. From expereince, don't eat too many when they are hot, it works better than ex-lax, let them cool some.
    Last edited by Rooster; 01-26-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    We cool cracklins at my deer camp all of the time. From expereince, don't eat too many when they are hot, it works better than ex-lax, let them cool some.
    I learned that when I was younger at my uncle's meat market.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

If you don't, you're only cheating yourself.

Varsity Bulldog 007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice 007dawg's Avatar

My wife is from Bogota, Colombia and the folks down there eat what they call chicharone (interestingly, that's what the Mexicans call pork rinds here in Texas). Essentially, they take a piece of bacon / pork rind about 3/4" thick and 1" wide x 6" long, cut cross-hatches through the meat down to the skin and fry it. The cross-hatching lets the meat cook through. That's some good eatin'.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Dirty' my daughter and son-in law live in Baton Rouge and they enter in cooking contest there. Cracklings is one of the things they cook. They cook them in cast iron wash pots the way we did when we butcher hogs when I was growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darbonnedawg View Post
    Dirty' my daughter and son-in law live in Baton Rouge and they enter in cooking contest there. Cracklings is one of the things they cook. They cook them in cast iron wash pots the way we did when we butcher hogs when I was growing up.
    Well, I don't have one the size of a wash pot, but I was going to cook them in a large cast iron outside but changed my mind. Next, though, I will do it the right way. Let me know the next time they enter a contest. I'll go by and check it out.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Will do

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Hate ketchup on eggs -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Ketchup and eggs?! what! That sounds gross. Ketchup are for french fries and maybe hashbrowns.

+ Reply to Thread