+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You need to read Kim Mulkey's book!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

You need to read Kim Mulkey's book!!

I just read Kim Mulkey's book, "Won't Back down". It's a very easy read and a VERY interesting book for Louisiana Tech fans. This book will give Tech fans a blow by blow summary of how Baylor lured Mulkey away from the Lady Techsters program back in 2000, as well as a "behind the scenes" look at our apparently "ethically challenged" university president, Dan Reneau.

Please get your hands on this book ASAP and read pages 65 thru 82. It will absolutely make your blood boil. You can see for yourself how Dan Reneau mishandled Mulkey's exodus from Tech, and after it became clear that his "4-yr plan" was blowing up, he --according to Mulkey-- planted lies about Mulkey in the media. (These lies to the media were apparently NOT leaked from Jim Oakes' office, but rather Reneau's via Tech's PR department.)

According to the book, as weeks and weeks passed after Barmore first announced his retirement back in 2000, neither Oakes or Reneau would even discuss the job opening with Mulkey. Barmore was in shock. He couldn't believe it. Even members of Tech's Athletic Council didn't understand why Louisiana Tech had not stepped up. In fact, it was during this time that Oakes was quoted in newspapers as saying "Louisiana Tech is conducting a national search for Coach Barmore's replacement." According to Mulkey, that statement hit her like a ton of bricks. With a 19-yr association with Tech as a player and assistant coach, they knew she wanted the job, but they wouldn't talk to her about it.

Meanwhile, Baylor AD Tom Stanton was putting the hard sell on Mulkey. He absolutely refused to give up. He rolled out the red carpet for Mulkey and her family. He said he was tired of Baylor being a training ground for coaches who would move on to bigger and better jobs, and that he envisioned Mulkey as a real long term asset to Baylor University.

While Reneau's mismanagement of the situation is bothersome, I was mostly disappointed to hear that our university president can --according to this book-- be so ethically challenged. That's very disappointing, if true. Regardless of whether Reneau decided to offer Mulkey the Lady Techster job or not, planting lies in the media about someone --especially one of our own, for goodness sake-- crosses the line of ethics and fair play. It's just not acceptable. And it makes me think Louisiana Tech could continue to suffer in all things athletic due to its association with Reneau. I firmly believe that we humans reap what we sow. If you do good, you'll get good in return. Likewise, if you cheat people or take advantage of people, you --and everyone who enables you-- may suffer.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 01-29-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: You need to read Kim Mulkey's book!!

Makes for a good she said/he said story, huh, HD?
    Helps sell books.
    This whole Mulkey thing is just like a divorce. He has his side, she has her side . . . and then there's the truth.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Makes for a good she said/he said story, huh, HD?
    Helps sell books.
    This whole Mulkey thing is just like a divorce. He has his side, she has her side . . . and then there's the truth.
    agreed, its not like she was gonna put something in her book to discredit herself or make her look bad. I with ya, somewhere inbetween both takes on the situation

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of what the book says or what Dan Reneau says, Kim Mulkey should have been hired to coach the Techsters on the same day Barmore retired. It is an embarassment that she left Tech, brought a national title to Baylor (who had no tradition up to that point), while the Techsters faded into oblivion on her departure. This is the kind of move that should cost someone a job.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    Regardless of what the book says or what Dan Reneau says, Kim Mulkey should have been hired to coach the Techsters on the same day Barmore retired. It is an embarassment that she left Tech, brought a national title to Baylor (who had no tradition up to that point), while the Techsters faded into oblivion on her departure. This is the kind of move that should cost someone a job.
    would you be saying the same thing if she had fallen on her face at Baylor? I think not.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she would fall on her face at Baylor. However, I also thought she would be able to continue Leon's Techster tradition here. It was just a very stupid move for Tech not to give "the Lady Techster" her shot at running the program.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    would you be saying the same thing if she had fallen on her face at Baylor? I think not.
    Yes, I would still think she should have been offered what she was asking for. Mulkey was the definition of Techster. Since her departure, we've lost the definition.

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

The entire Mulkey situation was ugly and was known around the country. I never would have believed that myself until I was talking to a friend/co-worker of mine who lives in Texas. We began talking college sports and basketball came up and he said oh yea I know Louisiana Tech...y'all did Mulkey wrong. At that point what can you say...talk about embarrasing!

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Can we please forget about this. Regardless of who did who wrong, I could give a rats ass about Kim Mulkey at this point. Serves no purpose discussing this. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Another thing, I'm not buying any book that will help pay for someones divorce and down grade Louisiana Tech.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Can we please forget about this. Regardless of who did who wrong, I could give a rats ass about Kim Mulkey at this point. Serves no purpose discussing this. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Another thing, I'm not buying any book that will help pay for someones divorce and down grade Louisiana Tech.
    td123, Dawgpix, etc.... I'm just surprised that more of you guys don't seem to care about Reneau's apparent lack of moral fiber and ethics. THAT'S what's most bothersome to me. Reneau is STILL the president of OUR university.....and he's supposed to be above all the lies, etc.... Unfortunately Reneau stains Louisiana Tech's reputation every time he gets exposed for something like his.

HD

Varsity Bulldog cranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the earscranberry seems to have something between the ears

Just read HogDawg's post, then you can save the $25 and not have to buy the book. That pretty much sums it up.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    td123, Dawgpix, etc.... I'm just surprised that more of you guys don't seem to care about Reneau's apparent lack of moral fiber and ethics. THAT'S what's most bothersome to me. Reneau is STILL the president of OUR university.....and he's supposed to be above all the lies, etc.... Unfortunately Reneau stains Louisiana Tech's reputation every time he gets exposed for something like his.

HD
    It's Kim Mulkey! It would be irresponsible to take her comments on Reneau and come to a judgement on his character. The same would be said about judging Kim's character from Reneau's comments. There is bad blood there. We will never know the truth, so lets forget about it.

Are you suggesting that Reneau be FIRED because of what KMR said about him? Thats just dumb.

We should not take KMR's word that DR is a liar just because she won and championship and wrote a book.

If there are neutral parties who feel the same way, then lets here it. And I'm not talking about Franks uncle heard from KMR's cousin that Danny was being mean.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    It's Kim Mulkey! It would be irresponsible to take her comments on Reneau and come to a judgement on his character. The same would be said about judging Kim's character from Reneau's comments. There is bad blood there. We will never know the truth, so lets forget about it.

Are you suggesting that Reneau be FIRED because of what KMR said about him? Thats just dumb.

We should not take KMR's word that DR is a liar just because she won and championship and wrote a book.

If there are neutral parties who feel the same way, then lets here it. And I'm not talking about Franks uncle heard from KMR's cousin that Danny was being mean.
    TD,
    Don't you know that the first person that puts something in print - no matter if it is in a book or a message board post - is the person that is right.

Seriously, it is a really funny phenomenon. I run a message board for cat show people. From time to time, someone will make something up about another breeder. When that happens, there is almost nothing that breeder can do to defend him/herself. Once people read it, they take the side of the first thing they read.

On the KM (the "R" is now gone) issue, I think that there is some truth to both their stories. KM is a spitfire and was known for throwing fits. D.R., on the other hand, is known for being stubborn. You put those two personalities together and you got problems. KM gave her life to the Techster program and I wish her nothing but good. Wish we could have kept her. The fact is, though, that things prevented that and it is now history for me. I don't see a need to keep harping on it. It is done. We need to get on with whatever we are going to do and still honor what she did for Tech when she was here. Not saying that to you - just in general.

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

are there Cliffs Notes for this? If so, I might read it

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    TD,
    Don't you know that the first person that puts something in print - no matter if it is in a book or a message board post - is the person that is right.

Seriously, it is a really funny phenomenon. I run a message board for cat show people. From time to time, someone will make something up about another breeder. When that happens, there is almost nothing that breeder can do to defend him/herself. Once people read it, they take the side of the first thing they read.

On the KM (the "R" is now gone) issue, I think that there is some truth to both their stories. KM is a spitfire and was known for throwing fits. D.R., on the other hand, is known for being stubborn. You put those two personalities together and you got problems. KM gave her life to the Techster program and I wish her nothing but good. Wish we could have kept her. The fact is, though, that things prevented that and it is now history for me. I don't see a need to keep harping on it. It is done. We need to get on with whatever we are going to do and still honor what she did for Tech when she was here. Not saying that to you - just in general.
    I agree. But we, especially as Tech fans, need to be smart enough to know better. I don't expect somebody at Baylor to take the middle ground.

+ Reply to Thread