+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You need to read Kim Mulkey's book!!

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Re: You need to read Kim Mulkey's book!!

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    The pity party isn't for Kim. It's for the Techsters.
    You got that right b/c they are horrible, heading towards the emabarrassing womens softball and volleyball programs
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Are you suggesting that Reneau be FIRED because of what KMR said about him? Thats just dumb.

We should not take KMR's word that DR is a liar just because she won and championship and wrote a book.
    What's really dumb is when people absolutely REFUSE to look at Reneau's track record and judge it on its own merits.

Reneau has done nothing but drag Louisiana Tech athletics down to laughing stock status. At most universities, Reneau would have been fired a long time ago.

Reneau has repeatedly stepped on the AD and his authority, TWICE missed out on getting Tech admitted to the much more geographic friendly CUSA, he's made bad coaching hires again and again (e.g., Long, Loyd, Bicknell, etc...), he allowed the once proud Lady Techster program to fall to the point that it's now only a shadow of its former self, he refuses to invest in a Jumbotron, he refuses to initiate a strong marketing program, he "pimped out" the football team for the past decade, and he has let the athletic physical plant go to shit. Other than that, I guess he's done a decent job.

And yes, meanwhile Baylor has already won ONE national championship, and could be headed for another.

HD

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    If Barmore writes a book that agrees completely with Kim's side of this, I might be more inclined to agree with your concerns. As it is, all we have is one side of the argument. I would hardly expect Kim to paint the thing as her fault. I don't even doubt she believes what she wrote, but that still doesn't make it true.

For your information, Barmore is quoted many times in the book. (See, you would know this if you actually READ it). There's no question that Barmore sides with Mulkey. That's very clear. Barmore knows that he is a legend in WOMEN'S college basketball, so he doesn't really care what Reneau thinks anymore.....he's above Dan Reneau's level. And by the way, according to the book, that's something that drives Reneau nuts.

At the end of the day, Barmore will be remembered by MANY more people than Dan Reneau will, and Reneau knows it.

HD

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    What's really dumb is when people absolutely REFUSE to look at Reneau's track record and judge it on its own merits.

Reneau has done nothing but drag Louisiana Tech athletics down to laughing stock status. At most universities, Reneau would have been fired a long time ago.

Reneau has repeatedly stepped on the AD and his authority, TWICE missed out on getting Tech admitted to the much more geographic friendly CUSA, he's made bad coaching hires again and again (e.g., Long, Loyd, Bicknell, etc...), he allowed the once proud Lady Techster program to fall to the point that it's now only a shadow of its former self, he refuses to invest in a Jumbotron, he refuses to initiate a strong marketing program, he "pimped out" the football team for the past decade, and he has let the athletic physical plant go to shit. Other than that, I guess he's done a decent job.

And yes, meanwhile Baylor has already won ONE national championship, and could be headed for another.

HD
    I don't think anyone is ignoring the facts. We could discuss D.R. on the general board, if you wish. Most of us are just tired of thinking of KM, plus know that there are two sides to that story. The point is that the KM story is done. I hope that D.R. can write a different story with Dooley, Rupp, and an A.D. THAT is what we are waiting for. D.R. will be here until he retires. Hopefully, he can bring in an A.D. that knows how to get it all turned around.

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    The point is that DR is still in charge. You may or may not believe what KM says in her book, but didn't DR claim that he was doing a national search and would have no salary constraints when he hired Long? Everyone knows this so called national search was a sham.

Are we really to believe that DR asked Oakes not to resign the other day? If he did, I'm happy that he was honest, but did he not reveal his incompetence yet again? Are we really any better off with Oakes gone? I guess we can hope that a real search is done for the AD and that the new AD is allowed to do his job, but past history doesn't really warrant such hope.

The picture of Kim in her Techster blue as she wins the national championship makes me proud of her. I wonder if she might not come back some day after DR is gone.
    That is an excellent, excellent post.

You make several good points that some folks just doesn't want to acknowledge. Among them:

1) Reneau is STILL in charge.

2) Replacing the AD won't solve the problem as long as Reneau is still in charge. Having Oakes leave is akin to having an administrative assistant leave an executive post: The primary executive who makes the ultimate decison is still around.

3) Reneau repeatedly demonstrates that he's incompetent when it comes to athletics.

HD

Get out the balloons for the Mulkey pity party.

Here's a guy who CLEARLY doesn't get it.

Yes.....poor Kim......she's already won one NC, and her current team is 16-1 and sitting on top of the Big 12 as we speak. Meanwhile the Lady Techsters are 8-10, 2-3 in the WAC.

As the old saying goes....you can lead a horse to water............

HD

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    You don't dress like this during the National Champioship game if you willingly walked away from the school you grew up in:

When I saw this I knew without a doubt where she wanted to be and how much she must have been hurt when it didn't materialize. Anyone here that has ever dealt with a scorned woman should be able to figure this out. Reneau dropped the ball.

Here's a guy who CLEARLY doesn't get it.

Yes.....poor Kim......she's already won one NC, and her current team is 16-1 and sitting on top of the Big 12 as we speak. Meanwhile the Lady Techsters are 8-10, 2-3 in the WAC.

As the old saying goes....you can lead a horse to water............

HD
    That is an excellent, excellent post.

You make several good points that some folks just doesn't want to acknowledge. Among them:

1) Reneau is STILL in charge.

2) Replacing the AD won't solve the problem as long as Reneau is still in charge. Having Oakes leave is akin to having an administrative assistant leave an executive post: The primary executive who makes the ultimate decison is still around.

3) Reneau repeatedly demonstrates that he's incompetent when it comes to athletics.

HD
    1. I was responding to KM being "hurt." Not her record. Take the time to read what I quoted.

2. Yes Reneau still is in charge. And yes, he a made some dumb mistakes in the past. But your ignoring the progress that has been made. Bicknell was fired, Richard was fired, Dooley(who so far seems to be good) was hired, Rupp(jury definately still out) was hired, and Oakes is gone. Also, the fans finally got a schedule they have been screaming about for years. Excitement is being built around the program.

Yet we have people on this board talking about KM. You seem to have problems getting past a womans basketball coach.
    Last edited by touchdown123; 01-30-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Also, when the "search" was underway for a Lady Techster coach, all people could talk about is how sick it is that "money is no object" for a womens basketball coach. Now, they bitch because WBB has taken a back seat to FB and MBB.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

While I agree that athletics are "the window to the university" and winning programs can generate interest, revenue, and all kinds of intangibles... never mind. I was gonna sing DR's praises but just talked myself out of it .

I do think that DR has done a good job on the academic side of the ledger. What Tech needs now is a prez that can handle athletics too. No! not at the sacrifice of academics. But, instead, move both forward.

As for KMR, well, my opinion is well known on this forum.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Can we please forget about this. Regardless of who did who wrong, I could give a rats ass about Kim Mulkey at this point. Serves no purpose discussing this. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Another thing, I'm not buying any book that will help pay for someones divorce and down grade Louisiana Tech.

Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it. When Harry Truman sent Gen. Douglas MacArthur to the Pacific, if he had lost would it have mattered why? If a tree fall in the forest and no one hears it, did it still make a sound? These are all cliches. However, they endure because they convey a high degree of truth. That we cannot ignore.

This cannot be ignored either. It was on Dan Reneau's watch that one of the premier women's basketball coaches in the nation left the Lady Techster program. A program that she loved dearly and probably never would have left otherwise. This is history, but it should never be forgotten. I find it highly amusing that when a coach fails at say, LSU, it is the athletic director that takes the heat. This seems to be true at most big time programs. Why is this the case? Because the athletic director is the one that hires and fires the coaches, and it is that person that is held responsible for the failure, or basks in the glory of success.

Not so at Tech. Nothing happens at Tech without the micro-management of Dr. Dan Reneau. He and he alone is responsible for Kim Mulkey's departure from Tech, and she knows it better than anyone else. She felt the pain of rejection. The ultimate insult is to be ignored, and apparently she was as a candidate for head women's basketball coach after having dedicated 19 years of her life to the program as a player and assistant coach. She probably turned down offers to be a head coach or an assistant at other programs during those years at a financial sacrifice to herself and her family.

Oh yes, I seriously doubt that buying her book will help her pay for her divorce. With a salary of about $800K, I think she probably wrote a check for the divorce before she wrote the book. She has now publicly told her side of the story. She has no reason to distort the truth. Success rightfully earned by talent and hard work never needs to stoop to that level.

Incidentally, touchdown123, if you happen to live in Lincoln Parish, the book is available at the library. Won't cost you a penny. If you live elsewhere, perhaps your library has it. Nothing personal, just trying to help you conserve your resources.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it. When Harry Truman sent Gen. Douglas MacArthur to the Pacific, if he had lost would it have mattered why? If a tree fall in the forest and no one hears it, did it still make a sound? These are all cliches. However, they endure because they convey a high degree of truth. That we cannot ignore.

This cannot be ignored either. It was on Dan Reneau's watch that one of the premier women's basketball coaches in the nation left the Lady Techster program. A program that she loved dearly and probably never would have left otherwise. This is history, but it should never be forgotten. I find it highly amusing that when a coach fails at say, LSU, it is the athletic director that takes the heat. This seems to be true at most big time programs. Why is this the case? Because the athletic director is the one that hires and fires the coaches, and it is that person that is held responsible for the failure, or basks in the glory of success.

Not so at Tech. Nothing happens at Tech without the micro-management of Dr. Dan Reneau. He and he alone is responsible for Kim Mulkey's departure from Tech, and she knows it better than anyone else. She felt the pain of rejection. The ultimate insult is to be ignored, and apparently she was as a candidate for head women's basketball coach after having dedicated 19 years of her life to the program as a player and assistant coach. She probably turned down offers to be a head coach or an assistant at other programs during those years at a financial sacrifice to herself and her family.

Oh yes, I seriously doubt that buying her book will help her pay for her divorce. With a salary of about $800K, I think she probably wrote a check for the divorce before she wrote the book. She has now publicly told her side of the story. She has no reason to distort the truth. Success rightfully earned by talent and hard work never needs to stoop to that level.

Incidentally, touchdown123, if you happen to live in Lincoln Parish, the book is available at the library. Won't cost you a penny. If you live elsewhere, perhaps your library has it. Nothing personal, just trying to help you conserve your resources.
    This happened almost ten years ago. What possible good could come from bringing this up time and time again? None. It does nothing for our current situation, it actually hurts it. Our athletic department seems to be making progress. Why must we open old wounds?

This board has developed a nasty habit of passing blame from leader to leader. It starts with Conroy throwing too many screens, we pass that to Bicknell interfering in the calls. We pass Bicknell's failure to Oakes inability to gather financial resources. We say that Ronny Walker can't do his job because of Oakes, now Oakes can do his job because of Reneau.

I'm not suggesting some of these things aren't true, but constantly pounding and pounding these issues and slaming a leaders moral fiber, based on a book from KM mind you, is bringing a huge cloud of negativity around us. Oakes, Bicknell, Richard, are all gone. Progress is being made, KM is old news, lets move on.

Btw, it will cost me because I can never return books or movies on time.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Well stated, Touchdown. I am so tired of just pure negativity. While it DOES show passion, it becomes VERY self defeating. WE are making progress and it would sure be nice to see some balance in the posting.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I do think that DR has done a good job on the academic side of the ledger.
    With all due respect, please explain your "academic" comment to me. I read similar comments about "what a good job Reneau has done academically" on the BB&B all the time......yet every time Newsweek's report on Top colleges and universities comes out, Louisiana Tech is buried so deep (3rd or 4th tier?) it would take a geologist to find it. What gives?

What on earth has Reneau done ACADEMICALLY that makes you believe he is a success academically? What measuring stick are you using to measure Reneau's success academically?

HD

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Well stated, Touchdown. I am so tired of just pure negativity. While it DOES show passion, it becomes VERY self defeating. WE are making progress and it would sure be nice to see some balance in the posting.
    Let's cut the crap, champ110. I know you've been around a long time so you've seen most of this nonsense transpire with Reneau. It's not "negativity" to want Reneau removed. He's the BIGGEST obstacle we have athletically. Reneau has been a problem for Tech athletics for at least a decade. We need him to move on. Would love to see him retire gracefully....TOMORROW!

Fresh blood would do Louisiana Tech wonders! It's badly needed.

HD

Let's cut the crap, champ110. I know you've been around a long time so you've seen most of this nonsense transpire with Reneau. It's not "negativity" to want Reneau removed. He's the BIGGEST obstacle we have athletically. Reneau has been a problem for Tech athletics for at least a decade. We need him to move on. Would love to see him retire gracefully....TOMORROW!

Fresh blood would do Louisiana Tech wonders! It's badly needed.

HD
    You know that I agree that fresh blood is needed. The point, however, is that D.R. is NOT going to be removed. I have seen the last year of changes that he has made and I am supportive of those changes. You are, as well. I think we bury ourselves in so much negativity that we can't even get a glimpse of anything positive. We may have got in the shape we are in because of neglect, but we are FINALLY doing something about it. Should have done it a long time ago, but we finally have new coaches, upgrade to facilities (still not enough, but in the right direction), and will soon have a new A.D.

Even though we agree on some things, when you JUST state the negative, it does not paint the whole picture and people will stop listening.

Now, be quiet and let me listen to Hillary and Obama.

+ Reply to Thread